Queers invade the White CisHet Male safe space

And then a second tour to look at the trapped people, also a trap.

4 Likes

Kate, Iā€™d like to say that youā€™re doing a great job here. Empty philosophizing needs to be confronted with the harshness of reality, and youā€™re doing exactly that.

3 Likes

Itā€™s a crime to be gay in some cultures. Soā€¦

5 Likes

Itā€™s hard enough to stop neighborhoods from getting gentrified; this could lead to countries getting gentrified.

Presumably you would be running away from the evil country and into the good one, and the good one would not bar your entry. Given the freedom to move anywhere, why would someone who hates cold weather choose Siberia?

People are fuckinā€™ dumb

4 Likes

What Iā€™m saying is, the reform should be ā€œnot having documentation is not a crime.ā€

Unless weā€™re talking about code or machinery, in which case, the opposite.

I would agree, but I would be most guilty.

2 Likes

Headed up by the Evil League of Evil: the IOCCC.

1 Like

Oh, you and me both, brother. You and me both.

ā€œHey, why is this valve stem step suddenly 3mm longer than the design, and has two o-rings instead of one?ā€
ā€œUhā€¦dunno. I probably thought it was a good idea at the time.ā€

2 Likes

I agree completely. It doesnā€™t just benefit the people who come here, either. Immigration is just generally a good thing, for the U.S. and for the rest of the world, and often even for the countries those people are leaving.

People sometimes talk about ā€œbrain drainā€, but one thing thatā€™s often missing from that discussion is that immigrants are much more likely to send money to, invest in, or start business relationships with the countries that theyā€™ve left.

Out of curiosity, where is the line between mansplaining and ā€œhonestly just being a guy who wants to legitimately correct a person who happens to be a womanā€?

I mean, obviously being a male layperson correcting a female nuclear physicist on nuclear physics is wrong, for example. Iā€™m talking about a case where the male does legitimately happen to know more than the female.

Iā€™ve had to tell Chris many times that Iā€™m not mansplaining, I just like to explain things and I happen to be around her the most.

4 Likes

Guess ya gotta look at things like shittyness of attitude, frequency of correction, importance of topic, and motivation of corrector?

1 Like

The core of mansplaining is that the man has an assumption that the women knows less than them because sexism. The other part is that the man assumes they even want to learn something. And add on a big heaping blob of condescension.

I am guilty more than most of having this strong desire to correct anyone who I think is wrong about anything. But a lot of people, as wrong as they are, donā€™t give a fuck. They are not open to being corrected, so you are just bothering them. Thereā€™s no point, so why are you trying?

If you are going to correct someone on something, first be sure to gather a good assessment of how much they actually know. Be sure they are actually interesting in learning and hearing from you. And make sure that whole time you are never condescending, talking down, or patronizing.

The final, (most important?) key is doing more listening than talking.

Even knowing all this, it is still hard. You do something unconsciously and reflexively your whole life, it takes a lot of conscious effort to change when you learn it is bad. Like trying to stop biting your fingernails.

8 Likes

As a female, before I post most things, I used to make sure Iā€™m informed so I can participate in educated discussion. This is all due to insecurity to make sure I donā€™t get looked down upon by male colleagues because the chances of that are not in my favor.

Now, I DONā€™T GIVE A FUCK.

As to my advice: donā€™t be a condescending asshole when explaining. And state their credentials and say upfront that they are not mansplaining. Be polite.

4 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnDjtNW58nA

1 Like

Thanks for reminding me why I donā€™t watch television.

Tech support really sucks for this, since you have to start with the basic items to make sure you donā€™t waste hours doing complex solutions when all we needed to do was restart. This drives people especially those close to you nuts. But is vitally important to save everyone time.

It does of course also bleed into all other things. Like Politics.