Queers invade the White CisHet Male safe space

Thank you! Credit to Lyddi for making an amazing costume for me though :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Right though? Every picture Iā€™m thinking :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire_engine:

2 Likes

I feel like you folks are violating our cishet Male safe spaceā€¦

:-p

6 Likes

Right? I feel threatened. Time to man this thread up with completely serious manly things.

6 Likes

Hello, Iā€™m here to burn this place to the ground :relaxed:

:fuelpump: :fuelpump: :fire: :dancer: :fire: :fuelpump: :fuelpump:

8 Likes

Keep it in the flamewars category.

3 Likes

Some Latino/a people are technically ā€œwhite,ā€ though racist douchebags may consider them the ā€œwrong kind of white.ā€

Yeah, my coworker is one of those, and despite being a 1.5 gen herself, her opinions on immigrantsā€¦ :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Iā€™m also technically one of those (depending on who you askā€¦ the lines as to what ethnic groups count as Latino/a can be quite fuzzy). However, Iā€™m totally cool with immigration for the most part. Then again, most of my family were immigrants, so that may influence my opinion.

I understand the economic rationale for some sort of reasonable, non-biased limits on immigration (granted, my family did fully follow applicable laws to the best of my knowledge when they immigrated). However, illegal immigration will always happen and I donā€™t think automatic deportation is always the appropriate penalty, especially for people like DACA folks. If someone managed to establish some sort of life here, whether they originally arrived illegally or not, they should be allowed to stay and be given a chance to earn permanent resident status so long as they havenā€™t committed any serious crimes (assuming that illegal immigration isnā€™t a ā€œseriousā€ crime, at least not when compared to something like armed robbery or whatever) during their stay. Penalty fines and payment of any back taxes owed along with an otherwise clean criminal record should be sufficient, and I believe DACA does require you to pay some sort of periodic fine/fee to be eligible.

Ideally, economies would be strong enough to support unlimited immigration, but Iā€™m not sure the US (or any other modern country) is quite there yet. Iā€™d love to be proved wrong, though.

Iā€™d also like to point out that even legal permanent resident status isnā€™t a panacea either. You can still be deported if you have a green card if you commit certain crimes. There was a wave of members of my familyā€™s immigrant community who have lived in the US for years with just their green cards doing all they can to become naturalized citizens back in the '90s due to this policy. And even though all my family is either natural-born or naturalized, Iā€™m still worried for us given the current political climate.

1 Like

Yeah, I didnā€™t realize it autocorrected to get. Sheā€™s 1.5 gen as in came here as a baby. And thinks immigrants taking all the jobs, welfare, crimeā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m all for let in whoever can come and make it work here, but only confer major benefits to people who come and apply for some kind of member status. If youā€™re here, you follow US law, can be subject to the same penalties, but only if you qualify for a sort of residency or citizenship do you pay taxes and be in the system. Otherwise, let anyone from anywhere come on in and setup a residence with the same entrance criteria as if they were on holiday. Come for 1 day or 10,000 days, doesnā€™t matter.

BUT

If there are rules, in order to maintain an economic balance or to preserve some kind of concept of cultural identity or some other (misguided IMO) reason, then allowing people who break them to have a checklist of ways to make up for it when/if they are caught might undermine most of the reason for the rules in the first place. Youā€™d still get the 30,000 or however many people who wouldnā€™t have been eligable to sneak in, setup shop, and as long as they are doing OK theyā€™d just pay their fines and do whatever other penalties as their cost of entry and bam. At that point may as well just charge an entry fee up front. Those who sneak in and stay snuck, wonā€™t have to pay. Those who go through the hoops will get their free tickets.

Anyway umā€¦ on the thread topic, it probably counts that I am going to Prague in a few weeks, gonna do so many beers and see all the architecture. Iā€™ve got a feeling Iā€™m going to want to end up living in the CZ realm for a while based on what Iā€™ve seen so far. My language skills for the region consist ofā€¦ nothing. But our hosts ensure me that so many people speak good English that Iā€™d be OK. I think Czechia seems like a cool ass country.

Holy cow SWAT. Iā€™m going to visit you if you move, ok

So jokes aside I found out today that I have no way of dealing with men crying. Thanks to my upbringing my basic response is a slap on the shoulder, a nod and thats it. Suuuper healthy.

On a lighter note a friend of mine was mistaken for; Mexican, Italian, Arabic, French (IDK), Chechen and Chinese. He is from Hereford. None of us know how this happens.

Yeah, toxic upbringing makes comforting guys that arenā€™t used to opening up a bit of a minefield. Iā€™ve had friends lash out at me for it.

People go wild once oneā€™s accent is out of the standard range, itā€™s hilarious. I have a cocktail of a mild speech impediment (a too wide a tongue to properly vocalize certain sounds) and a Miami accent that makes people guess the wildest things. e_e

See the even stranger thing is he has a perfectly normal English accent. But a slight olive skin tone, if that. Yet for some reason no one things hes from the UK.

My sister has slightly more Boston accent than most of us here in the suburbs, and people not infrequently ask if sheā€™s British.

Iā€™ve been mistaken for Puerto Rican, generic Latino (which may or may not be a mistake, depending on the definition you use), Spanish, Italian, Greek, and Chinese (it was dark and she was quite drunk at the time). It happens.

Both times I went to Japan and when I met Japanese exchange students literally the first thing out of everyoneā€™s mouth after ā€œNice to meet youā€ was ā€œAre you half-Japanese?ā€ Which still leaves me flabbergasted because as far as I know I have no Asian ancestry whatsoever. I suppose it is possible I could have some being as my grandfather was left on a doorstep during the depression but weā€™re pretty sure he was Italian. Whenever I asked why they thought I was half Japanese the main thing they said was my face looked Japanese, especially my eyes.

In Turkey, many people assumed I was German until I opened my mouth.

1 Like

In Germany, people were surprised when my parents and I turned out to be Americans.