Progressive/Anti-Trump Activism

March 8th - International Women’s Strike & A Day Without a Woman

Anyone, anywhere, can join by making March 8th A Day Without a Woman, in one or all of the following ways:

• Women take the day off, from paid and unpaid labor
  • Avoid shopping for one day (with exceptions for small, women- and minority-owned businesses).
  • Wear RED in solidarity with A Day Without A Woman

A Day Without a Woman reaffirms our commitment to the Principles of Unity, which were collaboratively outlined for the Women’s March. We are inspired by recent courageous actions like the “Bodega strike” lead by Yemeni immigrant store owners in New York City and the Day Without Immigrants across the U.S. We applaud the efforts of #GrabYourWallet and others to bring public accountability to unethical corporate practices. The Women’s March stands in solidarity with the International Women’s Strike organizers, feminists of color and grassroots groups in planning global actions for equity, justice and human rights.

When millions of us stood together in January, we saw clearly that our army of love greatly outnumbers that of fear, greed and hatred. Let’s raise our voices together again, to say that women’s rights are human rights, regardless of a woman’s race, ethnicity, religion, immigration status, sexual identity, gender expression, economic status, age or disability.

We marched in 16° F weather in the Rochester March 4 Education.

If we can do that, surely all NYS Residents can call their NYS Senators to demand full and fair funding of all of New York States’ public schools by releasing back-owed funds and by fully enacting The Peoples’ March for Education Justice Platform.

The NYS budget will be finalized in a few short weeks. Spread the word and make your voice heard!

To find your NYS Senator:
https://www.nysenate.gov/find-my-senator

Read the full Platform:
http://www.aqeny.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/MarchPlatform-3.2.pdf

Join the ACLU’s People Power Program

On March 11, the ACLU is holding a Resistance Training. This event will launch People Power, the ACLU’s new effort to engage grassroots volunteers across the country and take the fight against Donald Trump’s policies not just into the courts, but into the streets. We’re organizing grassroots events in communities across the country to watch the livestream together. Please join us!

Sign up to learn more about People Power and the Resistance Training livestream on March 11 at 5pm ET. We’ll follow up with you about opportunities to volunteer and attend events near you.

NYS Residents - CALL TO ACTION

Yesterday the NY Senate Democrats rolled out a bill to provide single payer healthcare in NY, there is a lobby day on April 4th in Albany, please consider attending or phone banking to get others to attend. All of the info is available here: http://www.nyhcampaign.org

CALLING ANYONE WHO LIVES IN NEW YORK STATE OR KNOWS ANYONE WHO DOES

We are one (1) State Senator away from single payer healthcare for our state. Please, please, please CALL, WRITE, EMAIL, MEET, OR OTHERWISE REACH OUT to your State Senator!!

http://www.nyhcampaign.org/dear_nys_senators_pass_new_york_health?splash=1

Which Senator do you think actually has a chance of changing their mind?

Mine might. He is a Republican, but a more reasonable one than the norm these days.

Look up your NYS Senator, find out their stance, and call/write, etc. if necessary. There are a lot of senators who will not commit one way or the other, so voicing support for the Bill is necessary! Here is the S4840’s page on Senate’s website for more info.:

I know my state Senator, it’s Gianaris. He’s very progressive, just like all of my other representatives.

Simcha Felder is the problem guy. I wish we could do something about him.

If you know people in his district, get them to light him up.

Edit: Also, make sure your Senator has openly supported the Bill. Many progressives are staying silent waiting for others to step forward.

Protip: if your cell phone’s area code is from another district, you look just like one of their constituents if you call them. They almost never ask for zip codes or other confirming information, and you can get away with giving just a first name.

Gianaris is one of the named introducers of the bill. 100% on the right side already.

My district is so boring. I got nothing to call them about.

[quote=“Apreche, post:113, topic:353, full:true”]
[/quote]I’ve had 100% hit rate with my calls and offices saying “yes, that’s our position”.

Western Queens is on the right side of history.

Same with Joe Kennedy. And Liz.

[quote=“Apreche, post:113, topic:353, full:true”]
[/quote]Just call them and say hi. Maybe they’re lonely and just want to talk.

Don’t underestimate the call to thank them. I’ve called Schumer and Gillibrand to thank them before.

I’ve called our state assembly and Senate reps because they’re GOP goons who need their jobs threatened constantly.

[quote=“adam, post:117, topic:353, full:true”]
Don’t underestimate the call to thank them. I’ve called Schumer and Gillibrand to thank them before.

I’ve called our state assembly and Senate reps because they’re GOP goons who need their jobs threatened constantly.
[/quote]Let me give you a little secret - Politicians, by nature, are egotistical creatures. They absolutely remember thank-you calls much more than they remember fuck-you calls. Sure, you can get them moving with hundreds of complaints, but you can keep them on course with tens of thankyous.

I found the perfect job for me.

https://twitter.com/lxmyaa/status/885819795496677377

Goddamn do you know how many senators and reps I’ve had to call over this shit. Thankfully a bunch of their mail boxes have been full. But god damn like 30. Normally its just the big 3, both my state senators and the rep for my district.

Today I kinda went all out. It’s after hours so there’s a guarantee of getting a voice mail which is fine just leave a voicemail as well as whatever info they want. I used the link below which just called my phone, connected me to first the big 3 then a series of other senators and reps. All of whom I either left a message for or had a full mailbox.

https://www.battleforthenet.com/

This is the hill I’ve decided to die on. I will fucking to to their offices if I have to.