Progressive/Anti-Trump Activism

If you are interested in getting active to counter Trump’s and/or the GOP’s agenda (in general or on specific topics), then this is the place for you. Please post information about rallies, marches, calls to action, specific organizations and their efforts/fundraising/events, etc.

To kick us off:

If you are a US Citizen, look up how to contact your Governor, [State Attorney General] (http://www.naag.org/naag/attorneys-general/whos-my-ag.php), State Legislature Representative, Senators, House Representative, and any other elected officials, groups, or agencies whom you feel you may want to contact. Keep that information handy!

Know the best way to get your representatives’ attention.

http://www.attn.com/stories/12951/former-staffer-explains-how-call-your-representatives

Know who to call, when, and why. Daily Action is a service that posts daily “calls to action” prompting calls to specific representatives, committees, groups, etc. for strategic blocking or promoting of progressive ideas) on Twitter (@YourDailyAction) and Facebook. You can also sign up for daily text messages containing their calls to action.

Take part in protests, rallies, marches, and demonstrations! Most of January is filled with marches and protests against various aspects of Trump and/or the GOP’s agenda. Check your local activist groups for specific information. Many are aware of the Women’s March in DC, but there are Sister Marches taking place all over the world. If the Women’s March isn’t your bag, then there are many, many others:

Join some great groups and take part in their local, state, and national level activism and volunteerism!
http://www.startguide.org/orgs/orgs00.html
http://www.commondreams.org/progressive-community

Looking to donate?

Get involved in the DNC, if you are so inclined. Whether you were a fan of the DNC or not, the best way to influence the organization is to get involved!

For anyone who might be in the silicon valley area, here are some local San Jose activism events I’ll be attending this week.

Friday 1/20 - Rise Up For Justice (Inauguration Day)
https://www.facebook.com/events/1085948738218133/

Saturday 1/21 - Women’s March San Jose
https://www.facebook.com/events/277438035986908/

Indivisible: A Practical Guide for Resisting the Trump Agenda

This has been making the rounds and if we’re linking to stuff to help out. This was written by the congressional staffers who stood on the front lines while the tea party movement took off and pushed congress around, they observed what worked, what didn’t, and put it into this pretty awesome pamphlet on how to organize.

I remember a big thing about tea party protests vs occupy wall street protests, is that they managed to get some policy across, possibly by having more focused issues, and managed to really change congress. It looks like the 21st will have some massive protests, across the US. What’s the objective of that protest/those protests?

@ JCDenton, the tea party wasn’t more focused, but they were embraced by and partially constructed by Fox News and the Republican party. How are you measuring these things and upon what are you basing your claims? Wait, nevermind. Don’t answer that. I just don’t have the energy to debate US politics with a minimally informed Canadian with conservative/libertarian leanings.

If you are curious about the protests, click on the handy-dandy links provided above! :wink:

Well, considering that most of them are WOMEN’s marches protesting the dismantling of WOMEN’s rights by the GOP and the disgraceful treatment of WOMEN by Trump, I’d say the objective would be getting those fuckwads in Congress to see that women are voters who make up half this country and will fight for their rights to be treated as equally valuable lives to male ones.

But I could be making a huge assumption based on words that I read after easily finding them on the pages linked above. Or maybe I just read what was posted before asking stupid questions that were already answered.

Yeah, this is curt and rude, but you know what? I’m tired of seeing people literally ignore that the answers to their questions are trivially available if they would just fucking READ.

If you’re going to dismiss what I say, by attacking the source of what I’m saying and not the content of it, from an unrelated discussion then why would I continue talking?

You’ve narrowed your scope to just two movements. Your sample size is too small to be useful.

I can not stress enough that you need to call your representatives and senators. It works. They’re not used to being called.

My representatives and senators are democrats who are already doing what I would tell them to do if I called them.

I do wonder if we can call Republican congresspeople in other districts and fool them into thinking we are their constituents, and if that would work.

I just call Markey. Warren and Capuano are usually on top of it before I even hear about the issue.

No. Calling elected officials who do not represent you often causes the opposite effect as they will think there is a concerted effort by the opposition to AstroTurf them.

It would help if you knew a little more about your position or your point of view before you start in on people. The Tea Party protests were just a rebrand of the standard conservative movement in America that has been ruining things for a long time. Ethnographic studies and in depth reporting of the “Tea party” shows that it wasn’t a spontaneous eruption of angry people but a concerted effort by the constellation of organizations that make up the Conservative movement: the republicans in congress, right wing think tanks, lobby groups, conservative religious organizations, chambers of commerce etc. They knew their base, the middling classes, bougie people mostly, and how to mobilize them. These organizations had conscious goals and knew how to grift money out of their base to supplement their main funding from rich assholes. They wanted to forestall any leftward movement by the Obama administration due to the opportunity presented by the economic crash and they largely succeeded.

Occupy Wall Street was made up of left and liberal forces, mostly in disarray because well they never have their shit together. There were some libertarian types that were also a part of the movement but the left anarchist forces insistence on their unwieldy assembly consensus structure empowered those forces and largely doomed it from the start. They didn’t know their base, had little funding, couldn’t organize or mobilize but still managed to pull the mainstream conversation leftward. The TP and OWS were two completely different animals.

As for these protests idk because I don’t know the organizations/social forces that make them up. If you don’t know anything about the political economy of the movement constituting these events then there isn’t much to say beyond reading their press releases. If it is the standard liberal forces that failed to elect Hillary behind these events then I assume these protest will go about as well as liberal resistance to the Iraq War did.

Not entirely true that you shouldn’t contact representatives that aren’t yours. Some of them are on committees that deal with important stuff. You can contact the people on those committees regarding things that those committees are supposed to handle.

Do not lie about who you are. It will not help and may hurt.

@Apreche & @hmtksteve - You do not need to tell the person you are calling your address, even if they ask. Usually, if I am calling an official who is not my representative, I just say “My name is Kate, and I am a voter.” You can call any representative you so choose regardless of your location. However, it usually best to call your own officials as well as the actual committees that are responsible for a given issue (the Ethics Committee) and its members (even if the members are not your representatives, because they are acting in a capacity that supposedly represents national interest, not just their State/district).

Calling your representatives, even if they are doing what you would have them do, is a good thing. Consider that others may be calling them to voice concern, so adding support and thanks for their activities counteracts that and can keep them focused on what is most important to you.

In addition to calling state and national level legislators keep in mind that if it is pertinent you may want to call your Governor, State Attorney General, local officials, political parties (local, state, and/or national divisions), various non-profit organizations/lobbying groups, your preferred media outlets, etc.

The first petition under the Trump presidency has been submitted to WhiteHouse.gov.

Please sign it. It needs 100k signatures in 30 days.

It’s already nearly half way there. I have hope.

So I’m sure you’ve all heard of the National Interstate Compact. I have been periodically checking in with that wiki page as it seems to have a constantly updated list of what states have it moving through their respective legislatures.

So I was checking it’s status today at work and I saw something interesting. My state, had had a bill introduced that wasn’t there last time I looked. I scrolled down and saw the names of the house and senate bills.

Well I know, at least Rym and Kate strongly recommend calling your representative if you want your voice to be heard. I found that difficult without a very specific and actionable request. For me this was the gateway issue, I called Representative James A. Himes and asked the nice lady at his office to have him support HB 5434.

It was a quick call, and I’m basically certain I’m the only person calling about that specific issue but it was easy.

I said it was a gateway thing because not two minutes later I did the same for the upper house and called the office of Senator Chris Murphy, seen here being told guns need to be in schools for fear of bears. The young man who picked up was equally polite when I asked him to inform my senator to support SB 9.

I called my other senator as well, A gentleman named Richard Blumenthal. His call went very similarly to the other two.

3 calls, maybe 15 minutes total, this is easy and I encourage others to do so as well.

Uh, why was there only one nazi punched today? Didn’t everyone get the memo? The quota is five.

Five each. Get back to work.

The petition site is back up at whitehouse.gov

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/immediately-release-donald-trumps-full-tax-returns-all-information-needed-verify-emoluments-clause-compliance