Peak Moments in Sport

Right. Peak gamesmanship can go in the “Fix a Sport” thread :wink:

Well in the interest of ACTUALLY contributing.

This may not be peak but for those of us who saw it happen it’s pretty hard to forget:

Bit of context:
This is a very important game, leave it at that.

If this had been one of my highschool games, and I was that shortstop and I was where Jeter was there, my coach would yell at me. The short stop has no business covering home plate.

Olympics is where this is at.

van Niekerk sets the 400m world record:

Kikkan Randall and Jesse Diggins win the first women’s cross country medal for the US:

Also not Olympics, but Kipchoge breaking 2 fit the bill for me.

Even when nobody thinks you’re a chance, just do your best and don’t give up.

2 Likes

I thought of another one, inspired by the Formula 1 thread update:

I’ve watched the last few laps of this race many times over the last 10 years, but earlier this year I re-watched the entire race again. It’s a classic from the start, but the last lap is the craziest ever.

The scenes of both teams celebrating the driver championship, and then the Ferrari garage slowly realising they didn’t get it is PEAK F1 drama. Then Massa standing on the top step of the podium, but in tears because he didn’t get the championship… then cutting to Hamilton celebrating in the pit lane… wow.

Edit: the podium isn’t in this particular video.

Another motor sport video I’ve watched waaaay too many times. Start this one about half way through. Again, the commentary really makes this one great!

I’ve posted normal sport and motor sport, so here’s an esport moment. It’s not from a competition, but still some of the craziest high level gaming. I love how at the start of the game, after 3 headshots with 3 bullets, Chocotaco is all like “I’m going to win this” and he somehow stay in the zone for the next 30 minutes. That state of “flow” is something I can identify with in my own sporting achievements (though very much not with computer games).

Tiger winning the Masters again, 11 years after his last major:

Broken leg USOpen was better.

This is old but I just learned about it today.

Hell yeah. The nine dart finish in darts is like the 147 in snooker. It won’t win you the match, but it is sign of being in the zone!

2 Likes

I accidentally deleted my Peak Moment in Sport YouTube playlist, and when trying to remember what to add to I that I’ve not already shared in this thread, I remembered this:

A great little video about maybe the craziest big-wave ride ever.

1 Like

Another one from my list:

It’s only let down by the commentators referencing Tony Hawks first 900 (see above) after he lands it. I don’t think you can claim legendary status for moments like these at the time, the legend has to build organically.

1 Like
2 Likes

Didn’t realize it was already 6 years ago the French guy broke Bubka’s record.

But 14 shorter than the previous record had stood!

This guy is only 20. He can break his own record still.

Guy ran an entire marathon on his balcony.

On a skimboard!? This is absolutely mad!