Overwatch

On a win streak, finally made it up to gold, over 500 SR above where I started. I stopped maining Mercy and started using tanks, especially Roadhog and Orisa. I’m really hit-or-miss with Roadhog, not really sure why, but Orisa’s going well for me.

I had just assumed that the off-season was when they did tweaks to the SR algorithm, which resulted in the shifts. I guess that makes sense though that they wouldn’t want a player’s placement rank to be the season high.

It surprises me that anyone wants complete ranking resets, maybe they’ve just never played a game that actually did that? It just results in a week of flip of the coin steam rolls until everyone resettles into the exact same tiers they were in before.

Oh. Well then. I feel a bit better about my placement rank because if you add ~200 points to my placement score It would be within a few points of my final rank kast season.

Maybe for you - I haven’t done placement this season, but if you assume the same in reverse and knock 200 off my score, I’m sitting around an even 900, maybe a little below.

I’ve lost most of my placement matches so far, largely because of individual former-diamonds on the other teams and no-stars on mine.

We’ll see what even happens.

I’m still not convinced I should have ranked above Bronze. I was silver in Season 1 and 2, but then I sat out 3 and 4. I am no Overwatch pro.

I’ve never been as low as silver. I’m terrified of what it will be like if I am placed there.

It is a fucking cesspool of hate. Everyone is pissed off that they suck at Overwatch. Except for me cause I’m not a fucking baby? It sucks the will out of playing further competitive, and I switch over to arcade and quickplay.

3v3 Lockout is legit!

1 Like

I sat out season 3 and dropped a whole level, so I think the artificial drops stack.

The whole things makes no sense to me though. You really have to grind to make back levels, so why devalue that grinding? I do not feel better, I feel like my time has been wasted. They say you can return to your previous level with 50 games. That’s a lot of games…

I’ve been watching a bit of top-level competitive Overwatch recently, just to see how they play and what they do. Learning a bit by osmosis. Anyhoo, a team I’ve been paying attention to is Selfless due to their playstyle. However as it turned out now their primary DPS player Dafran revealed himself to be a 23-year idiot. He streamed himself for hours throwing competitive games in solo-queue on an alt account as well as playing hentai games which almost certainly break Twitch TOS. Blizzard has suspended him for the remainder of Season 5. His team has also suspended him which is kind of awkward when you live in a house together with other members of that pro-gamer team rented by that pro-gamer team.

So why do I bring this up here? Mostly because I respect Blizzard for taking action in such cases, particularly since it is against one of the best players in the world at their game.

Edit: Here’s a list of his apparent misdeeds.

I don’t think its that extreme. I came back for two games last night after feeling salty about the drop before I learned the reason for it, and regained to within 50 points of my level last season after winning both with good performance.

@chaosof99 I hear a lot about people throwing games what is the point of that? Especially at the pro level?

“Trolling”, or at least the very corrupted dumb idea of what trolling is today. Also there are a ton of people who start dliberately throwing because other people on the team aren’t doing what they say, e.g. someone picks Hanzo and refuses to switch.

So douchebaggery and children throwing tantrums. I heard about players and apparently now pros doing it I had to wonder if there was some method behind the madness.

I’ve had more than a few games where someone threatens the group with “do x or I’ll feed”. I just mute them and move on with my life. Report them if they do intentionally feed. You’re not really holding my game hostage, I play to win sure, but I also play just to have fun.

I was sitting on a 73% win rate over 9 hours as Pharah at some point and someone was REALLY angry that I was going to play her, and he was in a 4 man group. I just kept playing, won, moved on with my life.

Oh another favorite was when we lost 1 round first and some guy got loud and obnoxious immediately. Muted. Won the next round, unmuted everyone and when I got back that guy was so incredibly angry at me as he had figured out I had silenced him but not that I had… I guess… unsilenced him. Enjoyed that.

In 3v3, a guy on my team was being a dick, and then he used a homophobic slur. So, I was idle in spawn while I reported him. Just as I finish reporting, I notice he’s dead and yelling in that “WTF ARE YOU DOING AFK?”.

Then I see that my team-mate is also in spawn. He says in the public chat “No, I’m not AFK: I was reporting you.” He starts to flip out, so I say the same thing.

The other team comes into our spawn, and we all sit down on the couch, run out the clock (“none of us will play with you”), and then we let them kill us. He quit the game.

4 Likes

People with slow/shaky internet need to stop playing competitive. I lost three games this morning from people disconnecting and rejoining multiple times in a single game. One game had two people disconnect at the same time.

Can you really blame people for getting Comcasted? It’s something out of their control.

I get that, but it also sucks for other people when they get screwed by it. If you know you might just drop from a game randomly and five other people are going to lose something by it it is shitty of you to knowingly do it anyway.