Overwatch

Working on the HotS bonuses. I like how they tried to make the menus as incomprehensible as MOBAs themselves.

1 Like

I only play competitive or arcade now: even when Iā€™m solo. QP is death of the soul.

I blame the loot boxes.

Competitive and Arcade gives one more loot boxes though. So in theory only freaks who donā€™t want boxes play Quick Play.

[quote=ā€œSkeleRym, post:370, topic:291, full:trueā€]
I only play competitive or arcade now: even when Iā€™m solo. QP is death of the soul.

I blame the loot boxes.
[/quote]Pretty much same here, itā€™s always arcade unless Iā€™m playing with friends. And Iā€™m doing well with the whole quitting while Iā€™m on a high spot thing, it makes me feel better about the game than quitting when Iā€™m frustrated.

I donā€™t play comp much if at all anymore. It just makes me frustrated and depressed, it actually quantifies how fucking useless I am and how much Iā€™m letting my team down, which in turn makes me feel useless and shitty. It doesnā€™t help that with my level of skill, even silver is a pipe dream, and if you think people in silver get fucking mad, oh brother.

Iā€™m with you. Iā€™m really considering quitting Overwatch, and competitive FPSs generally. I wasnā€™t allowed to play FPSs as a kid and even trying to catch up through my teens and twenties did little to build up foundational skills that were never there. Now Iā€™m over 30 and just too slow and too old to learn. Iā€™m stuck in wood tier even though I do my best to communicate and work with people and fill in needed roles, and QP just feels pointless because no one cares about winning. They just want to play and shoot dudes.

They cared enough to be highly derogatory towards me in match chat. But didnā€™t care enough to be good teammates. So why should I even bother trying to salvage a decent comp for their ungrateful asses?

Iā€™m not good enough at Ana to solo heal with her. In terms of flankers, it was my team dropping the ball, because on Volskaya B, they were at the choke, while Mei, Mcree, and Reaper were running around unchecked in backlines. No single healer can do their job & defend self while being focused unprotected by those three.

I disagree. During my placements, I carried 7 games, but kept being grouped with people lvl <50 (not the smurf kind, just the ā€œwhat is the objectiveā€ kind), against usually smurfs, or at least 1 stars who had some idea of the game. Talk about being set up to fail. Was placed in silver. In QP, I regularly hold my own against diamond-masters with my stack. Iā€™m sure I could grind to plat (gold now), but I have little faith in the ranking system or humanity.

Iā€™m of the opinion that if youā€™re Rein & you have most elims/damage, you are (with exceptions) not doing your job (big blue rectangle) & are actively impeding your team from doing theirs. Dva is a mixed case, depending on the lineup. Shielding / protecting is a tankā€™s primary function. I have lost so many games due to an impatient Rein who charges in or swings away, hangs us all to dry, and typically complains rest of team bc golds. If you want to go deep, abandon the team, and constantly beg healing, play genji.

Anyway. Some POTG from tonight:

If you want, I could queue with you and maybe some others to bring you up to non-Silver games for comp.

1 Like

Iā€™d be in for that if youā€™d have me, I never did placement this season because it started during finals and then I left the country.

Letā€™s try to make our 6v6 walled garden a regular, semi-scheduled thing. That is loads of fun.

I think Iā€™ll just only ever play competitive or that going forward.

4 Likes

Iā€™ll record the whole thing next time. Just gotta set it up to get the audio and voice and everything across all the different biz on separate channels.

2 Likes

Shitty snipers were out in full force tonight. Highlight was when my teamā€™s Hanzo said ā€œHow the fuck do people aim?ā€

2 Likes

For the last week or so I popped in here and there just trying to play a couple of rounds of Quick Play. Every single game the first two spots that get picked are a Hanzo and a Widowmakerā€¦

I remember back in TF2 there was the problem of a billion snipers and how they were always terrible and I always wondered why it was so. Recently I thought about it and I think I figured it out. The ā€œcool factorā€ of a sniper making long shot one hit kills, plus the appearance of safety at long range and cover makes a tempting choice for an unskilled player.

1 Like

Indeed, same reason why there were always a billion Spies. Strangely though there are rarely many Sombras around though I guess this is mostly because Sombra kind of sucks and you get murdered easily if you play Sombra badly but as a Widow or Hanzo you donā€™t quite get into the thick of things. I guess the same is true for Spy but he was helped out by the Dead Ringer with that.

Sombra also doesnā€™t have the LOL BACKSTAB LOLOLOLOL troll factor Spy had, which I think was the main draw for Spy players.

In the TF days (not TF2 you damn kids), snipers were common because in the meta of high level play, they were unstoppable golden gods. A good sniper could literally make midfield a no-go zone and kill an unlimited number of people if they showed their heads.

Scrubs would see that the snipers were so powerful, and not really understand that this was a result of extreme skill.

Scrubs would also see the snipers being treated like golden gods by the other good non-sniper players. They were treated a lot like goalies are in hockey today. They could win games. They wanted to be treated that way.

Thus: a million shit-tier hanjos running around with a 50% hit rate on uncharged body shots.

War never changes.

When I use to actually be good at CS:S I played primarily sniper. My friend talked me into playing TF2 one day, I was an unstoppable god. Slower, bigger heads to click on.

Anniversary Event is live. It also includes some balance changes and a bunch of new skins, among them a Lucio skin that changes the music he plays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NQWP7npOSw

1 Like

Call me when itā€™s All Star and Smooth Criminal.