Overwatch

I’d love to get that good, but frankly it would be a wasted effort, picking Sombra in the levels of competitive that I’ve got any hope of reaching is basically a recipe for constantly getting reported for “Throwing” before the match even begins. I’ve mis-clicked and had someone threatening to report me for throwing before I could even re-pick.

Yeah but none of those reports are going to be poor for you, only the reporter if they use a model similar to League of Legends. People who report inappropriately excessively are categorised as passive aggressive toxic and their reports are taken less seriously.

Dude saw me pick Tracer in attack, whinged. He became super quiet after I took the first point by myself killing 4. Why should you be punished while Genji and Hanzo noobs who instalock get a pass?

Just mute and play your best, compare your stats to yourself and no one else. Only try to improve yourself. The points come in automatically (as long as you don’t become a one trick).

Maybe that’s why the quality of my QP has gone down so much lately. I report a lot, and I’ve given up on putting effort into the reports. I wouldn’t be surprised if my threshold for reporting was below average… but I still think it’s within “reasonable expectations of human beings”.

I only had to report one person and that was because I turned off the chat filter day one and did the 1v1 arcade match and got homophobic abuse.

I report for homophobia, racial slurs, casual references to rape, telling people to kill themselves, and afk or other grief behavior. Oh yeah, and people being an ass to me because I’m female. I report someone at least once a week.

2 Likes

[quote=“no_fun_girl, post:189, topic:291, full:true”]
I report for homophobia, racial slurs, casual references to rape, telling people to kill themselves, and afk or other grief behavior. Oh yeah, and people being an ass to me because I’m female. I report someone at least once a week.
[/quote]I do the same, apart from people treating me like crap for being a woman, for obvious reasons. But if they’re doing it to someone else, instant report.

I’ve also noticed a drop in the quality of quick play, but since I play less than NFG and also started reporting people on that basis after NFG did(before that, I’d just mute and leave at the end of the match), but the quality of Quick Play dropped regardless of reporting frequency, so I don’t know if reporting is the reason.

1 Like

I’ve been noticing a significant increase in tea bagging since the introdiction of 3v3. Did I not notice it, or was there a blissful period where the player base was civil for a while?

[quote=“ThatGent, post:191, topic:291, full:true”]
I’ve been noticing a significant increase in tea bagging since the introdiction of 3v3. Did I not notice it, or was there a blissful period where the player base was civil for a while?
[/quote]Nah, it was super chill for a fair while, but I guess even the sunny disposition of playerbases isn’t immune to entropy.

I may… um… spray PUNCH! and then run in a circle if I kill someone in 3v3…

There’s a YouTube channel that makes funny Hearthstone videos all the time. They have a channel with funny Overwatch videos now.

I miss the civility of the Beta like I miss internet chat rooms in the early 90s. People were NICE

1 Like

I still mostly run into nice people.

Caveat: I only play competitive and arcade.

[quote=“no_fun_girl, post:195, topic:291, full:true”]
I miss the civility of the Beta like I miss internet chat rooms in the early 90s. People were NICE
[/quote]Truth. The closest I’ve seen to that lately is some competitive games, if you get a good team, but mostly in Arcade Brawls, which are made to be super goofball anyway, so people are just so much more chill.

As much as I like the way people actually try in competitive, why is it that adding any sort of competitive mode seems to make communities utterly toxic at a much greater rate? Warframe added PVP, and the PVP not only went toxic as shit almost immediately, it bled to the rest of the community suprisingly quickly. Secret world PVP is way more toxic than regular(But thankfully, has failed to bleed across to the rest of the game for the most part). Rocket League ranked took the community from fun-loving and friendly, to toxic and angry within weeks. Counterstrike and MOBAs, which started out as Competitive games, are famous as the high water marks of extraordinarily toxic communities.

I still try to be nice to people in Overwatch, though. If someone does a good job, I’ll call it out explicitly, I’ll tell people they fought well, encouraging people on my team, calling good shots if someone gets a good kill on me, things like that, going a bit beyond the usual “GG.”

1 Like

I switched from the European server to the American one today and now I see what you mean. I found a good team of people (First time I had a “Finding a more balanced team” looking for game message) but there was so much shit talking and abuse before that.

I am surprised (because my name is “ShadedSprite” because of character limits.) that I have only got one piece of homophobic abuse so far.

I haven’t noticed it too much with Overwatch (probably because of a larger player pool), but some game communities vary a bit with time of day / day of the week. I assume this is a product of the ratio of adults vs. kids. Rocket League at 3 PM is worse than Rocket League at 6 PM on a work day.

There have been a couple studies on behavior in online competitive games suggesting that everyone tends to follow the social cues of the most vocal players. The interesting thing about this is that games including at least 2 players that are actually friends tend to be less toxic overall. Basically, try to play with friends and if possible use the in game communication and your entire team will be nicer (on average). You can’t do much about shitheads but you can at least provide some contrast. Also “prefer player” everyone that is nice.

I personally haven’t seen too much bad behavior in Quickplay or even competitive but it could be as @Burritoad said I usually play after 6:00 or so on school/work nights so that might be the cause. Related to that if I play earlier than usual or especally on weekend afternoons I run into TONS of kids on competitive, and I dont mean teenagers I mean like obviously prepubescent children who chatter constantly on comms until I mute them and play worse than I do which is saying something. I don’t mind if kids play but often its like having Hanjo throwing matches when adults are trying to rank up.

The worst are the kids who chatter the whole time like they’ve livestreaming.

2 Likes

[quote=“SkeleRym, post:201, topic:291, full:true”]
The worst are the kids who chatter the whole time like they’ve livestreaming.
[/quote]Literally the entire reason I use push to talk. Not for them, I mean for me, I’m a talker.

I haven’t done my matches this season but last season was horrible. I had someone ask me to be their girlfriend. Another person harass me to try and group up with them. Another guy threw a gigantic fit when I picked soldier (instead of communicating with me civilly), then when I called him out on his passive (active?) aggression over the pick he turned it into me being a hysterical woman making a huge deal out of nothing. I had three people deliberately throw various matches I was in. I’m dreading doing season 4 at this point.

People who just have open mics instead of Push-to-Talk or properly configured voice activation need to be shot (figuratively of course). Crying babies, yelling spouses or parents, barking dogs, fighting siblings, the stereo on in the background or CHEWING. Chewing is the worst, but I don’t want to hear any of that other crap either.