NYS Politics

Well, she’s not licensed in New York, so I doubt that’s happening. The other one I’ve seen is Preet Bharara, who I suspect people are suggesting because he’s the only NY prosecutor they know or have heard of.

You’re right in that Preet Bharara’s name is being thrown around because he has somewhat of a high profile, especially now considering how Trump fired him, but he’s also incredibly well qualified and would make an excellent AG pick.

Another possible (and good) AG candidate would be Letitia James, the Public Advocate for the City of New York.

Edited to add: And to nitpick a little, Bharara was not a NY prosecutor, he was a Federal prosecutor and the United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York.

Someone tossed my state senator’s name out there. Gianaris. I’m gonna say no. I’ve met him. I’ll happily keep voting for him as long as he runs. His office was very helpful when I called them. He’s very progressive, especially when it comes to the issue of eliminating cash bail.

All that being said, he really seems just like Spitzer and Schneiderman. Old white dude in NY government who appears to be doing everything right and fighting for justice. There is of course, no evidence of any wrongdoing on his part, and I hope none appears. It’s just that I won’t be fooled again by the same pattern.

THE STOPPED CLOCK WAS RIGHT

Given that you’re Jewish, some jerkasses may argue that you’re not even white… :stuck_out_tongue:

If I could afford to pay, the country club would let me join without a fuss. That means I’m white.

Outside of like, people who’s ancestors are from a select few parts of England, Scotland and Wales, you could make the case that anyone isn’t white. I’m ethnically Italian, for instance. It really comes down to if you have a look about ya.

I did the 23 and me thing, and my genetic ancestry lines up shockingly well with the established family tree.

I am extremely white. Eastern Europe > Belgium > USA and Northern/Western Europe > England > USA.

Good point, of course.

True, and I get the subtlety very much. For example, I’d probably add Germany and Scandinavia to your list of “white people.”

In my case, I’m Portuguese. If you look at me on the street, I’d look like a random whitish dude for the most part, perhaps passing for Italian like you. However, if you look at my driver’s license, my name there is “Luis.” I’m often mistaken for for Latin American by Latin Americans, mostly from them looking at my name and then looking at me and seeing that I don’t look northern European, so to speak. Of course, there isn’t much genetic difference between me and a Latin American whose ancestry primarily comes from Spain or Portugal. Still, I feel a strong cultural bond with Latin Americans (to the point where I kinda view them like “cousins”), and I carry my passport with me when I travel far from home in case I get pulled over by some racist cop who wants to try to deport me thinking I’m a grown up DACA kid or something.

However, if you ask me what I consider myself, I do consider myself “white.” My family all pretty much immigrated to the US between the 1950s and 1970s from Portugal, so I can certainly trace my ancestry back to Europe without difficulty (though if it turns out I have some non-European ancestry if you go back a few hundred years or so, I’d be like “oh, that’s interesting” and not really think much else of it).

Now, there is also the issue of the “wrong kind of white,” like you talked about concerning being Italian. When the Italians first came over en masse, they were considered the “wrong kind of white,” much like the Irish also were. Jewish folks are still often considered the “wrong kind of white” if you talk to Nazis and their ilk. In my case, while I was fortunate, my parents did experience much of this “wrong kind of white” sort of prejudice when they came over and my mom even experienced it on the job from her boss until just a few years before she retired.

Even in Europe, things aren’t always so great. There was controversy over the movie Love Actually because the only Portuguese character (who was played by a Portuguese actress) was portraying a maid as apparently there is a sense that those are the only sorts of jobs Portuguese people are good for.

Of course, once a group that is the “wrong kind of white” has been in America for long enough, they get incorporated as part of the greater “white” whole. I don’t have the link handy, but I saw one article that talked about weakness of the Democrats among traditional stronghold groups like Italians partly stemmed from those groups now being considered “properly white” and voting with Republicans as a result.

I’m half-Italian (on my dad’s side), half WASP, and a funny thing happened to me at a diversity conference a few years ago. I was commiserating with some other attendees about a white dude who had been trying to dominate the conversation, and one of the attendees told me that I should have spoken up more about a particular topic of interest, “especially since you’re Latino.”

I suppose she was misinterpreting my last name (Pecora), but it got me thinking about my own socio-ethnic situation. The vast majority of the time I self-identify as white (especially since I’m a moderately wealthy, privileged tech worker now), though sometimes there’s friction between that (hazy) definition and being Italian (I don’t consider myself Italian-American, since I wasn’t really raised in that particular subculture).

The more I thought about it, the more I realized that my dad and his parents, who took a multi-decade detour in Uruguay before coming to the US, identify more as South Americans or Italians rather than “white” or (US) American. When they have dinner together, the language breakdown is somewhere around 40% Spanish, 40% Italian, 20% English. My grandparents in particular don’t consider themselves white, and the granularity of their self-identification is such that they see a difference between themselves and, say, northern Italians. Most of the comes from the conditions they grew up in (southern Italy was effectively still feudal when they were kids), but it’s interesting to think about how much self-identification can change in the course of one or two generations.

The concept of whiteness has changed drastically throughout US history, and is continually evolving today. At one time Italians, Irish, Polish, etc. were not considered white. Today, in certain circumstances and certain parts of the US, some Jewish people and some of East Asian are afforded a white-adjacent status (meaning they are not othered to the extent of other ethnicities). This does not mean that they are seen as white in the overall zeitgeist.

Indeed, it is a complicated concept with lots of subtleties that hasn’t been static at all. The main problem is that it seems like a lot of the “newly white” often start taking on some of the bad habits, viewpoints, etc. of the “old-guard white,” which continues to make things bad for those who haven’t been granted the status of “whiteness.”

Yeah, there is a whole field of study that covers this. The same phenomenon happens when people class-jump.

Please refrain from telling minority groups that they are or are not “white.” It is really not your place to say “Jews aren’t white.”

Can confirm in the form of my immigrants themselves yet trump supporting parents.

Well, I never said that I thought “Jews aren’t white.” I said that other people (who I collectively referred to as “jerkasses”) may say that. Sorry if I wasn’t clear and it wasn’t my intention.

I have an immigrant uncle and aunt (as well as their kids, who were born here) in that same exact boat.

It’s going to be Underwood until we vote again.

Good, that is the right thing.

After voting this morning I didn’t put on my sticker because I need to make sure it’s in good condition for lunch time.

Take THAT Australi! We finally beat your democracy sausages!

In other news, I saw a LOT of stickers on the subway today, and a lot of people at the polls. You would almost think it’s a general election. It was a ghost town for the last primary.

Oh yeah, literally every single person I saw with a sticker this morning was a woman. You bet your ass they didn’t vote for Cuomo.

What, you think it stops at sausages? And just one place, four locations?

You make a start, but don’t get ahead of yourself, padawan.