Now that Donald Trump has Won

I don’t really want to open a new thread for this. Yesterday’s special elections look like an almost clear sweep by Democrats. Particularly good to see are the results in Virginia.

There is also the fact that Hoboken elected a Sikh mayor, and the state of Washington now has a Democratic majority in the state house.

https://twitter.com/CharlotteAlter/status/928086721400537089

5 Likes

Is this what hope feels like?

7 Likes

Partial faith in humanity restored.

3 Likes

Depending on the five districts that were too close to call but three trending Democrat the Virginia House of Delegates is looking like it will at least be split 50/50 and maybe a Democratic majority by one. Either is great because Democratic executive down the line.

2 Likes

Additionally, with the 2020 census coming up, having a Democratic governor and a Democratic controlled House of Delegates is huge for redrawing district maps.

1 Like

An old friend of mine that’d I’d not seen in years ran for local office (board of reps). I found out last night she won! I’m pretty excited for her. To my knowledge this is definitely the first trans person in local office in my area and I’m happy to have been a personal part of that.

Side note is that when I knew her, she went by her dead gender and name and that’s been tricky to shake. I have to keep correcting myself inside my own head. We were pretty damn close many years ago and she kinda showed up out of the blue mid transition.

4 Likes

From my own experiences with trans friends, if you knew them pre-transition, they seem to be pretty understanding if you accidentally refer to them using pre-transition names, terms, etc., so long as you are not a jerk about it.

A year later, here’s how some Trump voters feel about Trump.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/11/08/donald-trump-johnstown-pennsylvania-supporters-215800

Spoilers: depressing as fuck.

4 Likes

I hate everything

4 Likes

The only consolation I get is that they’ll rot in that small town of theirs. But I wish it were possible to convince, no teach them otherwise. The classes they would have to take would have to be classes not offered by most high schools in impoverished areas: media literary and basic philosophy. As for their racism, well honestly they’re probably too entrenched to change.

There’s literally a coordinated effort to destroy the freedom of the press.

But the Freeze Peachers won’t ever say a peep about it. They’re too busy telling me that punching Nazis is antithetical to American values.

5 Likes
3 Likes

Everything I’m reading about the Republican tax plan sounds like pure, undiluted insanity to me. Corrupt and horrifying to the core, benefiting exclusively the richest of the richest and fucking everyone else with a cactus in the ass. How can anybody even bear this on their conscience?

What conscience? They have consciences? Could have fooled me.

I’d imagine it’s a lot easier once you accept that poor/brown people aren’t human.

Well, if you’re making under $400k/year or so, you’re “poor” according to the GOP. That’s right, according to them, $400k is “middle class.”

2 Likes

The modern GOP was never about anything but its culture war with progress and modernization.

5 Likes

They love modernization when it allows them to create a new servant class by destroying wages.

1 Like

We now have official records of Assange solicitating leaks from Donald Trump Jr. in order to publish them via Wikileaks, with the stated reason of, and this is a direct quote, “improve the perception of [Wikileaks] impartiality” because it would appear to be not a pro-Trump, pro-Russia source.

Jesus fucking christ.

2 Likes