Now that Donald Trump has Won

Equivalent? No.

Similar? Yes.

One is clearly a private enterprise designed around personal enrichment while the other is a charity. However, even charities have secondary non-monetary benefits to those who create them.

Example: look at how Bill Gates was viewed before and after he created his charitable foundation. Compare that to his contemporary (and competitor) Steve Jobs.

If you are looking to make changes in the world you generally need money to make effective and lasting changes. A charity is a great way to do that as it allows you to accept tax deductible donations from others. Donations that can then be used to effect the changes that those who run the charity want to see happen.

Do you honestly believe that foreigners who donated money to the Clinton Foundation did so expecting no favors or influence in return? Notice, I am not saying they received any influence, do you think they expected to gain influence or special treatment in governmental affairs once Clinton was in a position to give them?

Edit: I also suggest reading the DOJ letter written about President Obama’s acceptance of the Nobel Peace Prize and why the AG believed it did not run afoul of the Emoluments Clause or the Foreign Gifts and Decorations Act.

Look, Trump is clearly a certifiable whack job. When he talks it sounds like he loses coherency even before he finishes his current sentence. His business dealings and ownership stakes are a huge conflict of interest just waiting to happen. Couple that with his thin skin and we have a serious recipe for disaster. However, do his business interests break the law or just the spirit of the law?

2 Likes

See, this is better; now that you’ve put forward an actual position we actually have something to discuss.

[quote=“hmtksteve, post:380, topic:125”]Equivalent? No.

Similar? Yes.

One is clearly a private enterprise designed around personal enrichment while the other is a charity. However, even charities have secondary non-monetary benefits to those who create them.

Example: look at how Bill Gates was viewed before and after he created his charitable foundation. Compare that to his contemporary (and competitor) Steve Jobs.[/quote]It’s simply not possible for a politician’s incentives to be completely aligned with the greater interests of the public they serve; for one thing, they already have a major vested interest in getting elected. The point of the laws, rules and norms around the issue is to manage and mitigate these issues; at a fundamental level, it’s a mechanism design problem.

[quote=“hmtksteve, post:380, topic:125”]If you are looking to make changes in the world you generally need money to make effective and lasting changes. A charity is a great way to do that as it allows you to accept tax deductible donations from others. Donations that can then be used to effect the changes that those who run the charity want to see happen.

Do you honestly believe that foreigners who donated money to the Clinton Foundation did so expecting no favors or influence in return? Notice, I am not saying they received any influence, do you think they expected to gain influence or special treatment in governmental affairs once Clinton was in a position to give them?[/quote]I think that some of them hoped to get access, and I think they hoped for it because donating money in order to have a greater chance to get access is a core part of how Washington operates.

Is this problematic? Definitely. However, pointing at foreigners donating to the Clinton Foundation (and not donating as much now that she has lost the election) as though this was itself the problem, rather than being symptomatic of the system as a whole, isn’t going to achieve anything.

If you actually want to get somewhere with that issue you really need to think of it in the terms I mentioned earlier, as a fundamental problem of mechanism design in regards to how government operates.

[quote=“hmtksteve, post:380, topic:125”]Edit: I also suggest reading the DOJ letter written about President Obama’s acceptance of the Nobel Peace Prize and why the AG believed it did not run afoul of the Emoluments Clause or the Foreign Gifts and Decorations Act.

Look, Trump is clearly a certifiable whack job. When he talks it sounds like he loses coherency even before he finishes his current sentence. His business dealings and ownership stakes are a huge conflict of interest just waiting to happen. Couple that with his thin skin and we have a serious recipe for disaster. However, do his business interests break the law or just the spirit of the law?[/quote]There is definitely an argument to be made for illegality, but I can’t say whether it would hold up; my guess is that it wouldn’t. This would obviously change if anyone were to get evidence of quid pro quo corruption, which is what the Supreme Court seems to think is required.

However, whether or not it’s illegal isn’t even the real question here. Whether he intended it or not, the same gears that turn under the hood in order for people to get access to Washington politicians will turn for Trump. The difference here is that, whereas for the average US politician the way you ingratiate yourselves to them is large donations to the Super PACs and charitable causes they have ties to, for Donald Trump there is the much more obvious and direct (and less transparent) option of the Trump Organization. Granted, there’s additional logistics involved in arranging a “donation” of sorts via such business dealings, but the fact that the benefits go directly to Trump is a huge plus for such an action.

So, all in all, it’s a serious violation of previously established norms, and Donald Trump stands to be significantly enriched as a result, whether he intended it or not.

3 Likes

Whether he’s in violation of the law or not will be examined and decided by a Federal Court. I’m not going to back-seat QB that, especially not without hearing arguments from both sides first.

However, there’s a difference between being legal and being good for the country. (Obviously, since 45 is the legal President.)

A candidate for President is legally obligated to disclose their assets, but not their tax returns. Most still do the tax returns to show they’re hiding anything (in theory).

The President is not legally obligated to divest themself of their assets. Most still do it to avoid any question of conflict of interest, and of course to avoid passively violating the Constitution without intent.

6 Likes

There’s been some chatter on reddit about potentially having an SNL skit where Alec Baldwin as trump watching SNL on tv where trump is played by Rosie Odonnell and then tweeting about being upset about how he’s being portrayed on SNL.

Odonnell has said she’d be down. Be pretty meta if it happened.

Along the same line there’s been chatter about having her play bannon. Hope he loses WH status with POTUS. Personally, I like the first idea better.

3 Likes

It’s like a parody that writes itself, except we’re living it and a whole bunch of people wanted it to happen.

Given all the anti-immigrant stuff that’s been going on, even with non-Middle Eastern immigrants, apparently, I’m going to start carrying my passport with me even when I travel domestically.

1 Like

RE: The Betsy DeVos nomination

Every Democratic Senator voted against her and it took the VP to break the tie, so of course Jill Stein says it is the fault of “Democrats serving corporate interests”.

I can no long take anyone seriously who takes her seriously.

3 Likes

Does the 25th amendment only apply to physical/mental impairment? Could it be used to remove a President who has lost the support of the beurocracy and is unable to effectively lead the executive branch?

Basically, the people who have that responsibility have no interest in removing Trump at this time.

What if instead of a button, it was a contactless paypoint, So anyone can donate at anytime.

1 Like

I would be so broke if I had that button…

4 Likes

I have a monthly $177.change donation to the ACLU after having stopped going to my BJJ gym over the winter, canceling my plan there and putting the money towards something useful. Fuck nazis, sure, but at least they’re causing me to put my money where my mouth is.

1 Like

Dude Trump’s election caused me to start a recurring payment to the ACLU, EDL and the Sierra Club and Subscribe to an actual newspaper.

That green card holding old lady who died in Iraq because of the travel ban? Fake. The guy lied to the news station. They have since issued a correction.

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/233053942-story#/search;query=Closings

ACLU and also EFF here. Also be sure to use Amazon Smile to donate to your charity of choice.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201365340

I’ll probably start paying for NPR when it gets attacked which should occur soon.

2 Likes

What about President scented candles? :wink:

Yep, I use Smile to donate to the EFF, and I’m a member of the ACLU with a monthly donation.

1 Like

So a dude I follow on twitter just gave me a light thought germ that I thought was worth repeating.

Those of you advocating impeachment. Imagine Napoleon could tweet from Elba.

I’m not saying we shouldn’t just that it wouldn’t be the end of the problems. It might just be the beginning.