Now that Donald Trump has Won

Trump will prioritize Christian refugees.
This invalidates all previous arguments for the Muslim ban being based on political situation in certain nations and not just blatant discrimination.

It’s also a violation of international law, apparently. And a violation of U.S. law as the U.S. is a signatory of the relevant treaties: Trump's Immigration Policy Risks Violating International Law—alienates US allies - Just Security

What does it take for Donald Dump to be impeached?

A Democrat-controlled Congress.

1 Like

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/01/27/as-major-sanctuary-cities-resist-trumps-threats-miami-mayor-says-city-will-comply

The ACLU has won an injunction halting any deportation of people with Visas or Green cards that would be affected by Trumps Muslim ban.

Great stuff from the ACLU in response to one of the most despicable political acts I have seen in my lifetime.

Wait… Where did he state deporting people who are here legally?

[quote=“hmtksteve, post:257, topic:125, full:true”]
Wait… Where did he state deporting people who are here legally?
[/quote]Some people who were in the country legally had not fully completed the entry process were to be deported, as I understand it. Including the two Iraqi gentlemen who the motion was filed on behalf of. There’s also a number of people, including legal immigrants, green card holders and permanent residents, who were in transit when the order came down, and are thus stuck outside the country for a minimum of three months, possibly longer, if the order is not rescinded, as despite being legal residents, they are not allowed entry.

1 Like

Donald Trump immigration ban: Green card holders barred from entering US, security officials confirm

Donald Trump: Green card holders subject to ‘case-by-case’ approach after immigration ban

In the meantime, the state of California as sued Trump.

So he is blocking some people from entering and looking at stopping others who are in the process of becoming legal? That is some bad shit but not the same as deporting legal residents.

I understand it sounds more ominous to say he is deporting people that are here legally but it is not the same. Blocking people from returning who have been granted legal rights to live here is complete bullshit. Not the same as deporting but still complete bullshit.

Edit: I sponsored someone on a green card last year. The process is not exactly quick or easy. There are numerous checks along the way. A travel visa is different than a green card.

[quote=“hmtksteve, post:260, topic:125”]
So he is blocking some people from entering and looking at stopping others who are in the process of becoming legal? That is some bad shit but not the same as deporting legal residents.
[/quote]I’m sorry, I wasn’t clear - some of those who were slated to be deported due to the change coming down while they were in transit were legal residents.

And believe me, I’m familiar with the green card process, I’ve been working on trying to get one since 2011. Not quick or easy in-fucking-deed. Do cross your fingers, I’m still hoping the green card lottery will pay off, I need all the luck I can get.

2 Likes

I can confirm that people with green cards (legal permanent residents) have been detained at airports or stopped from boarding planes to the US. The lawyer group I’m in on Facebook has quite a few people who are out at airports assisting those folks. Apparently CBP officers are trying to get them to sign a form that voluntarily gives up their green card by telling them it will make things go faster. This is some Grade A Bullshit.

This is one of those stories, that seems kinda whatever until you read the details and realize that his National Security Council now includes Steven Bannon but doesn’t include the director of Intelligence or the Chairman of the Joint Chief’s…

This doesn’t make sense. Nothing in Trump’s executive order references section 223 of the INA (which governs re-entry permits). Everything I am reading in the executive order is limited to sections that govern visas.

According to reports, the DHS initially concluded that the executive order didn’t apply to US legal residents, but Bannon personally overruled them and instructed them to ban resident visa holders as well. http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/28/politics/donald-trump-travel-ban/

Resident visa holders? Are you referring to a green card or some type of visa? Because the EO is clearly targeting visa and NOT green card holders. Even if Bannon provided guidance if it’s not in the EO it’s NOT in the EO and his guidance can be ignored.

I mean all types of visa that allow residency in the US, including green cards.

I think we are having a terminology issue here.

Visa = temporary permission to be in the USA for a specific purpose. NOT residency.

Green Card = permanent legal residency in USA. All rights of a citizen except voting. Not a visa.

Yes, the agents enforcing the EO do not have clear guidance on who it applies to, so they are detaining as broadly as possible to make sure they catch everyone. Some new guidance/clarification is coming out from the White House, but there still is no strong, clear guidance for the agents on the ground.

Basically, it’s a shit-show and no one knows exactly who/what is covered.

1 Like

My bad, I didn’t know there was a distinction. When the ban was initially implemented Saturday, customs officials turned away individuals with green cards. According to the reporting I’ve seen, DHS did not think that the EO applied to green cards but Bannon told them specifically that it did.
Reporting today is that the ban is being rolled back for people who already have green cards or visas, but CBP is still detaining people at Dulles and generally putting themselves in position for contempt of court rulings.