Now that Donald Trump has Won

Also you’re up for getting a 31 - 44 billion dollar injection into the economy donated by the US to build a “big,big wall”.
Plus you’re already set up for mass manufacturing better than the US.

Yeah… I already have dual citizenship with Portugal, so Lisbon is looking tempting as well…

1 Like

Looks like Trump is acting like the kind of President every campaign always paints their opponent as: doing everything they can, as fast as they can to change the country.

Can you imagine how different the US would be if Obama had been even half as bold as Trump is being?

They would have gone for full blown impeachment for “Executive Overreach”. As is was the House Oversight committee probably would be conducting Impeachment hearings for Hillary Clinton to try to disqualify her from office, if she had won the election.

It’s possible the Republicans think they’re on a time clock, people could be so angry at Trump they could lose the House in 2018. If that happens then Trump gets impeached because of violating the constitution. That’s why they’re trying to destroy as much of the federal government as quickly as possible.

If we both make it to Europe… How about we meet by train, since anywhere in Europe is basically accessible to anywhere else in Europe via train (or so I’ve been lead to believe)

I’ve got my Italian citizenship as well. Getting it involved proving that my paternal grandfather never renounced his citizenship. That was a fun day digging through 60 year old documents.

Are you forgetting that Obama had both a Democratic Senate and House? For his first TWO years. A larger majority in the Senate?

The first two years was devoted to getting the Affordable Care Act through the House and Senate.

2 Likes

While not expressly related to Trump, yesterday, the entire senior level of management at the State Department resigned, part of an ongoing mass exodus of senior foreign service officers who don’t want to stick around for the Trump era.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jennifer-m-granholm/debunking-the-myth-obamas_b_1929869.html Except that’s not exactly what happened. Since the Republicans decided to make everything a 60 vote

1 Like

After 2 weeks of mostly being off twitter, except when I got a notification of some message, coming back to it feels like being saturated in swamp water. And choosing to be swamped. After a day I starting muting people who continually talked Trump and “politics”, but it’s not enough.

It turns out that even when muting to stop the deluge, 75% of what’s left is still Trump related. I can’t cope with this! I think I’ll just keep muting people who mention Trump stuff more than once, and see what Twitter is still providing me.

Makes me wonder what Twitter would be like right before World War II.

Where and when before World War II? That war had a pretty long build up.

Mostly the rise of the Nazi party and the failure of the Weimar Republic

I live in Berlin. If this was the run-up to WWII, I’d be at ground zero. Of course I’d want to see all this stuff and stay up to date.

But I live in Berlin. I don’t live in the USA. I’m already 100% against Trump, and have been from the start. It’s not my responsibility to keep up with everything Trump and his crew is doing, and there’s nothing I can do to stop him doing anything he’s doing. It’s not my job. And it’s not my job to keep up with all the people whose job it is to resist Trump and see how they’re not doing their job either.

There’s nothing I need to know as it happens that won’t be just as useful for me to read about in two weeks time, after my next work trip, putting it more into perspective. Even just this thread is enough of a filter for me, because I decide to click on it for a dose of Trump comments and news.

1 Like

Who needs a foreign service when you can just shit post to twitter? :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah I was just asking Cremlian cause there’s some aspects of the political climate of that period I know pretty well. I didn’t mean to say you should be doing anything.

1 Like

Sounds pretty good to me. In my case, all I needed to do to get my Portuguese citizenship was show up at the local consulate (and there are plenty near where I live due to a large Portuguese immigrant community in the area) with my parents, who were Portuguese citizens themselves. Pretty simple stuff, really.

1 Like

Well, today the Mexican president called off the meeting with Trump (Trump of course saying that it was mutual). Trump also announced that he’ll be looking into a 20% tariff on mexican goods to pay for his idiotic wall, which is course a fucking stupid idea because it shifts the cost even more on the consumer and even more on middle and lower class people, and basically starts a trade war handing the U.S. 3rd most common trade partner to China. Oh yeah, and basically the entire top brass of the state department quit.

I wish it was that easy for me. My mom renounced her Italian citizenship in the 80s and my Dad was born in the US.

Italy being patriarchal has more or less the following policy for gaining citizenship when not born within its borders which I was not. If either of your parents has citizenship you can apply for it and get it with little hassle. If neither of your parents has citizenship, you can get it through the paternal line if you can prove one of your paternal grand parents or great grand parents had citizenship and that it was not renounced between them and you.

My paternal great grand father was a citizen so I had to prove that and then check that nobody between him and I renounced. The fact that the vast majority of my mother’s family still resides there carries 0 weight in the eyes of their government.