Now that Donald Trump has Won

From the articles I’ve read, this change in USCIS policy affects about 100 children a year, so it’s definitely the latter situation you mentioned rather than the former.

I totally get this line of thinking and I agree with it. And we should be on guard to stop that next gate from closing if we can.

But that’s wasn’t the initial reaction to these articles being posted. And that’s not what I’m arguing against. The initial reaction, mostly due to the fault of USCIS being unclear about the change in policy, was that child born to US servicemembers serving overseas wouldn’t automatically be US citizens. That’s just not true. This was a case of the news media jumping the gun on a story when they didn’t have all the information and creating a hysteria about something that isn’t happening.

OK I agree, articles saying the wrong shit, maybe don’t get too up in arms about incorrect shit.

But hope they do get up and make a fuss, for the correct shit, even if minor.

Now more than ever, it is important for the news to get things right and be accurate. That’s what separates sources we trust from those we don’t.

Ultimately though if it’s 1 family or 100s of families any change in policy in this direction is going to lead to moments of insecurity and stress in parents lives. Moments that are unnecessary and cruel. To people who don’t deserve that. Which is outrageous.

Also like what’s the point beyond to be cruel?

1 Like

As much as I’m wholly enjoying this fresh shot of schadenfreude served up at the beginning of a long weekend, I’m also so completely floored by the irony of this being delivered by fox news that I can’t properly formulate a clever way to visualize the qualities of this irony.

3 Likes

We’re at at least 14.3 MegaMorissette, which is the same as 143,000,000,000 spoons when all you need is a knife.

So Mark Sanford, former Governor of South Carolina, has decided to primary Trump. You might remember him, he said he was going hiking on the Appalachian trail when in reality he went to South America to visit his mistress.

However it might be moot because the GOP doesn’t really see the need for something as plebeian as “Primaries”.

https://www.chron.com/news/article/N-Carolina-special-election-tests-Trump-2020-GOP-14427294.php

So, how can I debate MAGA-ites? I got into an interesting conversation with a conservative coworker last week and he said very early on that income taxes are unconstitutional and it really kinda went downhill from there. Like, how do I even debate someone who starts off with the ‘taxes are theft’ argument?

you don’t, people who have drawn philosophical lines that tangential to reality are not the kind of people who can be swayed by arguments. Their beliefs are not rooted in any real world logic, they know they’re right and facts will be reformed in their mind to make them right. Your most fundamental response is to state “you are not arguing in any reasonable sense of legitimate framework, fuck off”

That is not to say that it can’t be beneficial to argue with them. In the current political climate people with very bad beliefs are emboldened to be brazen, so we have a moral duty to signal to everyone else that we can’t just tolerate their bullshit out of the social expectation of maintaining decency.

1 Like

You can’t.

At best, you can destroy them as an example to others who may yet be saved. Only argue with them when there is an audience you can score points with.

2 Likes

What are you attempting to accomplish in your argument and debate? Since it’s a co-worker, I would be VERY hesitate to get into arguments at work or even outside of work with that person since they can start to undermine you. The dude sounds like a Libertarian, so the key to making him less Maga, is to undermine his support for Trump using Libertarian arguments. Just as some folks on the religious right that are never trump are attempting to undermine Trump from the right. Either way, I don’t recommend engaging a co-worker in political talk unless you are really sure they are cool with talking about it.

1 Like

According to PT there exists “A group of people you can fool all of the time” in this case it’s 40% of the American Electorate.

When Trump gets out of office, he’s going to rot in a very deep hole for the rest of his life.

There’s a very cynical part of me that doesn’t think this is going to be true. That feels its more likely Trump’s never going to go to jail, going to keep parading around the country, feeding the worst impulses and driving us closer to the cliff if he’s not the one to push us off it.

1 Like

This is where I live. I’ve said so elsewhere so not going to belabor the point but it’s embarrassing for countries to imprison their leaders, former or otherwise. According to most people, the sorts of people with the power to actually do this, people like judges and senators and the like; they see (rightfully or otherwise) the act of jailing former high office holders, as the sort of thing that happens in tinpot dictatorships and not in ‘civilized’ places like the US.

I took a look at wikipedia’s list of imprisoned world leaders and I was looking for people I recognized, or people from English speaking countries from modern times.

I saw 1 guy I recognized (berlusconi) and 3 dudes from english speaking countries (2 in Scotland and 1 in Canada, all 3 of which were 1960s era and all of which were provincial heads not head honchos)

This was a really long list mind you. Trump will probably get a trump memorial library somewhere stupid and will have speaking arrangements and generally do the ex president thing until he dies of natural causes.

I think putting Trump in jail is beneficial to his own safety as it is to ours

He needs to be put in a home, either rooming with or next door to Joe Biden.