Now that Donald Trump has Won

Trump has a different definition of “best” than most of us sane people.

1 Like

I’m sorry what…?

This story is pretty old, and Trump seems completely immune to it. I heard this years ago.

Trump probably wasn’t too far off the mark when he said he could shoot someone in the middle of 5th Avenue in broad daylight and wouldn’t lose his base, unfortunately.

1 Like
3 Likes

Anyone got beer and popcorn?

https://twitter.com/smarxist_/status/1092342448397922304

3 Likes

Sadly even if they learn a lesson from this I don’t think it’s going to be the right lesson…

1 Like

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/legal-issues/us-judge-finds-paul-manafort-lied-to-mueller-probe-about-contacts-with-russian-aide/2019/02/13/c5209f7a-2f2c-11e9-86ab-5d02109aeb01_story.html?utm_term=.7e10c3299090

1 Like

https://twitter.com/RedTRaccoon/status/1095806822211031042

This is the inevitable next step once Trump declares a national emergency:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/02/04/if-trump-declares-national-emergency-pelosi-can-jam-republicans-heres-how/?utm_term=.c79bceed58b1

"According to one of the country’s leading experts on national emergencies, it appears that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) can trigger a process that could require the GOP-controlled Senate to hold a vote on such a declaration by Trump — which would put Senate Republicans in a horrible political position…

Elizabeth Goitein, who has researched this topic extensively for the Brennan Center for Justice, tells me that if Pelosi exercises this option, it will ultimately require the Senate to vote on it in some form as well. The NEA stipulates that if one chamber (Pelosi’s House) passes such a resolution, which it easily could do, the other (McConnell’s Senate) must act on it within a very short time period — forcing GOP senators to choose whether to support it.

Alternatively, Goitein notes, the Senate could vote not to consider that resolution or change its rules to avoid such a vote. But in those scenarios, the Senate would, in effect, be voting to greenlight Trump’s emergency declaration…

Republicans themselves have let it be known that they fear this scenario. Sen. John Cornyn (R-Tex.), an adviser to McConnell, has saidthat a Senate vote on any Trump-declared national emergency would be inevitable, and McConnell has told Trump that Congress might have to act in such a fashion. Both of these appear to be references to a scenario like the one outlined above.

Both men have also said this would deeply divide Republicans. One unnamed Republican senator even told the Washington Examiner that Trump would suffer major defections in such a vote.

GOP senators would have to decide between going on record in favor of a presidential declaration of a national emergency for something that everyone knows is based on false pretenses, a move that would be opposed by two-thirds of the country, or opposing it and possibly forcing a Trump veto (which they then would have to decide whether to override), enraging Trump’s base."

Once again, Nancy Pelosi is playing Trump and Republicans from a position of strength. From a strategic and tactical standpoint, she’s been amazing about this whole shutdown/wall nonsense.

1 Like

If Mitch thinks the boat is sinking, they might vote that way in the Senate. I feel like Mitch will just say whatever he feels like to justify voting down something, and no-matter how stupid it sounds it will be treated as gospel.

Maybe, but if Pelosi forces Senate Republicans to go on record endorsing Trump’s sham national emergency, expect that vote to play a big part in any Democrat running against them in the 2020 election.

1 Like

Apparently one of the worries is that Trump may shut down the banks using his emergency powers.

There it is. Good old Mitch.

Trump declared a bogus national emergency, and he literally say “I didn’t need to do this” in his announcement speech, basically tanking any credibility for this being an emergency whatsoever. He went on to explain that he is only declaring an emergency because it is convenient for him.

Fuck this man is such a goddamn idiot. And he is a goddamn corrupt asshole to boot. Can you guys finally get rid of him, please!

1 Like

Cohen finally testifies.

It’s a beautiful read.

2 Likes

see kids, you don’t have to eat the rich. Just threaten to take away all their money and they’ll gladly eat each other

2 Likes