Nazis marching in America

When I see a car flying the flag I tend to assume they’re crazy/racist/fascist/etc.

6 Likes

I don’t feel quite that strongly about it, but I do think someone flying the American flag from their car outside of certain holidays (July 4th, Veterans’ Day, Memorial Day, etc.) is at the minimum trying to compensate for something.

3 Likes

I feel like if America was really this awesome we wouldn’t have to say it so much. :stuck_out_tongue:

14 Likes

I wish I could SUPER like this comment.

2 Likes

The more prominent the American flag is in any context, the more guarded I am.

4 Likes

Gov’t contracting is not for you. :stuck_out_tongue:

My reaction to the American flag ranges from “Fuck yeah!” to “Oh fuck no!” depending entirely on context.

Fuck yeah context: I’m at the Olympics watching USA hockey! Wooo! U S A, U S A!

Meh context: The flag is in a place it belongs like on a flagpole outside a government building, behind a politician who is speaking, on a boat, etc.

Fuck no context: If the flag is any place where it totally does not belong, like stuck in the sand on the beach and it’s not the 4th of July. Also, even in places the flag does belong, it really bothers me when there are just way too many flags. Rockefeller Center usually has one flag from every country, but last year around election time it was 100% US flags. Creepy as fuck.

3 Likes

Fun fact. Flags are used differently in different places. In Denmark, it is somewhat common to use the flag to celebrate a birthday, just a bunch of danish flags just like stuck in a random lawn on a random day. Just means they’re celebrating. I’d kinda freak if that happened here.

I remember a friend of mine who used to wear a Soviet hat (genuine vintage) and one day an old Russian came over and said “do you know how many suffered under that symbol?” and I want to do that to everyone flying our flag.

2 Likes

Japan is really leery about showing the flag too prominently because of World War Two nationalism and militarism and association with right wingers and reactionaries. I think the only place I remember seeing it regularly flown was on school grounds. My visas, entry stamps, resident card, none of them had the hi no maru on them as far as I can recall. Most had a sakura blossom crest instead.

Welcome to the party. The only flags that remotely make me feel safe are the pride flags. And even those are dangerous when paired with unexamined privilege. (A different scale, though, thankfully)

1 Like

I long developed a distrust of people who aren’t in the military with flags. And even my chums in the service aren’t all bells and whistles over it.

Really? I see it all the time. It might not be on the official documents but its around in a shit ton of places if you look. Also suuuuper uncomfortable doing a ‘banzai’ cheer after sports festival.

About those flags

1 Like

When I leave the city in basically any direction I’ll see Confederate flags, usually paired with a US flag or a don’t tread on me. But anything other than pride, sport, or local city flags raise some alarms when I’m in town.

At pride this year I saw a pride rainbow / don’t tread on me flag, which on paper makes sense I guess.

1 Like

The don’t tread on me license plate is quite popular down here in NoVA.

I’ve been thinking about getting two flags since I’ve got two flag holders on my front porch, I was thinking going with a Pennsylvania flag and some sort of geeky one, but I haven’t found a geek flag beyond a Federation flag that looks good.

Alabama is poised to join Virginia, Arizona, Missouri, Oklahoma, South Carolina and Texas in allowing residents to choose a license tag with the Gadsden flag. A lot of states have this.

Every time I see one all I think is “I’m a retarded single issue voter”

3 Likes

Hrm, tough sell really. All the good flags out there are for countries and cities that I don’t live in. For me personally it’d just be the Sicillian flag because it’s where mom was born. I don’t love this flag because I think some of the detail is too fine but it’s got medusa on it, kinda makes up for some short falls.

That and the Canadian flag. Because it’s where I was born.