Nazis marching in America

D384A56B-F845-48FB-9767-72749FB89CF5-11726-000008E6DF68C93D

Girl, seriously much love that you keep responding here.

8 Likes

Itā€™s really not good for me haha. :sob:

3 Likes

None of the concern trolling from the white moderates has done anything more than show that they care more about their own hurt feelings and the evil system that upholds white supremacy than the conflict necessary to actively proiritize the safety of the communities directly threaten by Nazis and their reactionary enablers. Most of the white people accused of appeasement here simple played victim as if their imagined slight is worth more than the actual lives being threatened by Nazi goons. It just shows that white moderates will always prioritize order over justice. They arenā€™t going to lift a finger to defend me and mine when the murderous hordes of Nazis approach. Though I have my political disagreements with anarchists I would rather have the occasional faults of people that are willing to fight side by side with me than the verbal support of people frozen in the ice of their own indifference. Most of the anarchists that I know are people of color, and the casual erasure displayed here by these white moderates just shows that their faux concern is just a mask to divide and conquer, as if white people making the conversation all about the small contingent of white people that make them feel bad isnā€™t the whitest thing you could be doing right now.

10 Likes
5 Likes

One more nazi punched is a good thing for me.

Especially since he was apparently harassing black people on the bus. Guy like that needs to be dealt with.

2 Likes

I agree. If heā€™s actually going around and harassing people, then yeah, he deserves whatā€™s coming to him.

If you want to attack other forumites, please address them directly instead of relying on context and sneaking in the word ā€œhereā€ a couple of times to refer to the forum.

I am not concern trolling, nor am I expressing any kind of ā€œfaux concernā€. I am stating my honest positions on this issue. Nor am I doing this just because I have ā€œhurt feelingsā€. Posting in this thread is painful and difficult, and it does nothing to make my feelings any better, but I do it because I think whatā€™s at stake here is more important than my feelings or the feelings of anyone else on this forum. I post here because, like you, I am genuinely concerned about the approach of murderous hordes of Nazis; while itā€™s an outcome I think is rather unlikely, itā€™s still one I desperately want to prevent.

First of all, you should understand that the things people say vary significantly with the target audience. The readers of this forum (and most specifically this thread) are, for the most part, not white moderates who will buy into a false ā€œboth sidesā€ narrative just because someone happened to speak out about injudicious use of violence. The things I say in this thread are completely different to the kinds of things I would say to the actual ā€œwhite moderatesā€.

Secondly, I think people in this thread are not taking the most important questions seriously enough. If what you really want is to stop the murderous hordes of Nazis, or better still to prevent them from happening in the first place, then itā€™s super important to ask what the best ways of doing that are. When you are at war with Nazis, you have to be willing to do what it takes to win, not just whatever makes you feel best.

I am anti-violence in that I donā€™t like people, even bad people, getting hurt, but Iā€™m not a pacifist. From a basic understanding of consequentialism itā€™s easy to grasp that it can be necessary and overall good and right to hurt a few people now to achieve greater good in the future. But I donā€™t think that any and all attacks on Nazis are a path to that greater good. I mostly agree with this:

but I think this may not be entirely correct:

Although I guess that ā€œgoonsā€ of this kind probably exist, I think that the bad elements of antifa (insofar as they exist at all) would likely be much more similar in their mentality to terrorists than goons. I donā€™t say this to be derogatory, because I have a lot more respect for terrorists than goons. Most terrorists do what they do in service of the greater good; itā€™s just that a terroristā€™s view of reality and what ā€œgoodā€ is is deeply skewed.

The reason I post in this thread is that I think that giving blanket support for the punching of Nazis (as many here seem to be doing) is a strategy that loses far more than it gains, and this is a war I really donā€™t want to lose. Is this backseat activism? Sure. But so are all posts in this thread, because they are exactly that: posts in a forum thread.

3 Likes

(link)

For an argument claiming to have the best interests of progress at heart, ā€œstrategic non-violenceā€ can have a negative impact on activism overall.

The term ā€œstrategic nonviolenceā€ contains the contradiction within itself. A strategy that begins by assuming that a certain approach is correct is not actually a strategy but a belief. Civil resistance theorists claim to be motivated purely by the effectiveness of their approach, but if effectiveness is truly the goal, then one must be open to all possibilities that might prove to be effective in a given circumstance. If one rejects a priori all possibilities that are not nonviolence, then what is called strategy is actually selective evidence to support a preexisting conclusion.

While pacifism was never fully purged from strategic nonviolence, the attempt to abandon the moral foundation of nonviolence has had troubling consequences. Without a guiding ideology, that which is deemed to be most strategic can come to stand in for that which is just and correct. In other words, focusing exclusively on how movements win the next battle can obscure the meaning of the war. Ironically, moral nonviolentists like Gandhi and King were far more sympathetic to violent actions that were understood to be on the side of justice than strategic nonviolentists are to a broken bank window.

Rather than taking cues from Gandhi and King, who humanized and allied themselves with all resistance to oppression even when they disagreed with the methods, todayā€™s strategic nonviolentists are quick to deride, abandon and even incriminate activists engaging in property destruction or self-defense. The loss of principle may have allowed strategic nonviolentists to pursue valuable research on effective tactics, but it has also led to a callous attitude towards fellow activists ā€” one that is distinctly un-strategic in its approach to polarizing public opinion around systemic oppression.

Unsurprisingly, there is evidence that violent actions generate greater police repression. At least one study suggests that mainstream tolerance for police repression of protests, especially violent ones, is quite high. These are important factors for activists to anticipate and strategize around, but this type of backlash does not necessarily undermine movements. In fact, state repression and polarizing public opinions are part of the cycle of disruption that is required for radical social change.

It is not about which team wins symbolic points in the violence-nonviolence debate; it is about how different groupsā€™ tactical approaches can work in harmony to build power. In the context of todayā€™s movements, the broad argument over violence and nonviolence is at best a distraction. At worst, it promotes a good protester/bad protester narrative that helps the state divide and conquer movements.

(link)

Additionally, narratives of non-violent protest are often based on a whitewashed version of history.

(link)

This argument disregards classical non-violent activism that has been predicated on creating tension and discomfort.

The ā€œstrategic non-violenceā€ argument revolves around white moderates hypothetically being dissuaded from justice essentially by discomfort. While MLK Jr is now held up as a paragon of successful non-violent protest, this change in opinion was posthumous.

In 1965, 42% of Americans thought civil rights were too radical.
In 1966, 63% of Americans had a negative perception of MLK.

This article I posted earlier underlines that the current argument used against violence is identical to the one that was used against MLK Jr.

Rev. Dr. Martin Luther Kingā€™s plan to disrupt the larger Northern cities with massive demonstrations of civil disobedience is the latest in a series of misguided moves that can only provoke greater divisiveness and racial discord.
[. . .]
But his course is one of grave peril to e v e r y o n e concerned-- mainly in the Negroes themselves. Mass defiance of the law might start out as peaceful as Dr. King may want it; but one lone spark can set off an upheaval of violence that could end in massacre, and a public reaction which would spell disaster for the Negro cause.

(emphasis mine)

Additionally, I would argue that previous non-violent movements would have less impact today, due to the loss of emotional intelligence and empathy, as seen through the Kekistan/lulz faction of the modern Nazi movement. Protesters have been driven into, not just in Virginia

all-lives-splatter-stay-off-the-damn-road-men-s-premium-t-shirt

The ā€œmore flies with honeyā€ argument falls under the category of the ā€œtone argumentā€. People who are familiar with it being used against them know it usually goes like this:

(click to expand)

(link to full comic, this is just an excerpt)

ā€œIt isnā€™t nice to block the doorway,
It isnā€™t nice to go to jail,
There are nicer ways to do it,
But the nice ways always fail.
It isnā€™t nice, it isnā€™t nice,
You told us once, you told us twice,
But if that is Freedomā€™s price,
We donā€™t mind.ā€

Malvina Reynolds, ā€œIt Isnā€™t Niceā€ quoted in The Myth of Peaceful Protest

Finally, there is an argument that violent and non-violent protests work in symbiosis.

I hope these resources will point you in the right direction. They are historically based, unlike the hypothetically strategic honey fallacious argument repeatedly posted here. They were very easy to find, and I recommend doing a lot more reading before claiming that this hasnā€™t already been considered by people with a lot more knowledge and experience. The only reason I bother arguing here is that I believe that this argument is a destructive excuse for apathy, and the less people lend it validity, the better.

p.s. I better see numbers by all the gotdamm links.

12 Likes

@no_fun_girl
Given the importance of this topic and the time youā€™ve spent it is clear that, after reading through the materials you cited (and others), I owe you a response. I largely agree with you about the pitfalls of so-called ā€œstrategic nonviolenceā€ and I definitely donā€™t buy into any kind of violence/nonviolence dichotomy. Insofar as I have (wittingly or unwittingly) been an advocate for that position, I must apologize.

My own positions have changed somewhat over the course of this thread, in part due to being underinformed (although I think youā€™ve overestimated the degree of my ignorance). Mostly I think the main issue has been my own failure to fully communicate my positions, especially a lot of the relevant nuance. There are still important things I need to say, but right now itā€™s probably best to leave those for later posts.

This post (from a certain other thread) is relevant:

The context of the FRCF is very different to what it would be if oneā€™s audience were the general public. Some in this thread seem to have assumed that anyone expressing any ā€œwhite moderateā€-adjacent position in this thread must be a ā€œwhite moderateā€ more generally, despite the massive difference in contexts. Overall, Iā€™ve found much of this thread rather disappointing in the dire lack of charitable interpretation of opposing arguments. Only a few people in this thread (such as @no_fun_girl) seem to want or care to understand where other people are coming from. Others in this thread would prefer to paint opponents as Nazi sympathizers insteadā€¦

What Iā€™m saying here is not what I would be saying in a conversation with an actual ā€œwhite moderateā€, because I understand the importance of context and audience in choosing oneā€™s words. That said, Iā€™ve clearly underestimated the need to provide some additional context for my opinions here, due to this being the FRCF and not properly accounting for my own degree of ā€œoutsiderā€ status or my history of being extremely guarded. I apologize for my own failure to communicate, as it has clearly lead to a lot of frustration all around.

This paragraph from your second link is particularly important:

Itā€™s quite telling if even Gandhi was willing to ally himself with violent resistance, despite also saying (rather silly) things like this:

Ultimately, this entire discussion is one of how to bring about shifts in public opinion, and I agree with you that public, outspoken criticism of parts of a movement can play into opponentsā€™ hands via a ā€œdivide and conquerā€ approach; thus the general need for a broad alliance.

But while public criticism may be harmful, there is also a need for internal criticism (and openness to it) in any group and any movement.

I think the ā€œthose conversationsā€ of which you speak are extremely important, but with regards to the actions of activists perhaps the best I can do is trust you on that count. However, at the very least, I am in a position to participate in those kinds of discussions w.r.t. positions put forth by people on the FRCF and have some people bother to listen to me. Being critical of othersā€™ positions on the FRCF is a very different matter to public criticism of any particular movement.

So, perhaps I shouldnā€™t be critical of antifaā€™s methods even when I disagree with them (e.g. in Berkeley), and perhaps I shouldnā€™t be critical of someone who decided to walk up and punch a Nazi in the street; itā€™s entirely possible doing either would be a tactical error (on my part) of the kind that Iā€™ve railed against in this thread. In particular, Nancy Pelosiā€™s condemnation of certain actions in Berkeley might well have been a major tactical error, although itā€™s very difficult to evaluate that. But do keep in mind that certain arguments that would be a destructive excuse for apathy if made to the general public are not necessarily so if made to a different audience, e.g. on the FRCF.

In particular, I think that I can and should be critical of people here who (whether implicitly or explicitly) are offering support for pretty much all forms of violence against Nazis in all circumstances, because I think that that support is a serious tactical error, and speaking against that support on my part is not. There isnā€™t a dichotomy here, either; you donā€™t have to offer blanket support for punching of Nazis to be in favour of some uses of violence, e.g. antifaā€™s use of violence in protecting counter-protesters.

Also, given that I live in Australia, both my channels of information and my channels of influence are necessarily very different to yours. There is a discussion to be had about activism and how I (and others) ought to be spending my time, and itā€™s a discussion that can be had on this forum, although it would fit best in a different thread.

2 Likes

I flatly disagree with you here. Certainly, I think this community is better on average than typical cross-sections of geeky communities - but we are not that special, and we still suffer many of the same issues as society writ large.

And so:

I ran out of charity a long long time ago. I am no longer interested in giving people passes just because they are familiar to me. Iā€™m not sure when it became a virtue to weigh and consider all arguments on a topic, but itā€™s an increasingly problematic approach, particularly when the national dialogue is trending in a direction of false equivalence. Some arguments are just bad and do not deserve charitable interpretation.

Formulating an argument does not mean that the argument needs to be heard or considered.

With all that said - I donā€™t see it happening that much. I see a lot of people engaging discussion on topics that normally would never see discussion at all.

Itā€™s also important to understand that discussions on this forum are not being had in a bubble. We are not an ivory tower, locked away from the rest of the world. The issues we broach here are also being broached in other contexts with other people. So when you start with an argument for which you expect some charitable interpretation, youā€™re not seeing the baggage people are carrying from having more-or-less the same argument elsewhere.

My bottom line: the context of this forum is not independent of other contexts. Itā€™s important to be aware of the effects of various discussion venues on one another. Rather than trying to ignore those realities by keeping contexts in neat little boxes (which really doesnā€™t happen), we need to discuss and account for them.

4 Likes

Good points. I guess I was wrong in my assessment of the context, more so than Iā€™ve already admitted to. I donā€™t think there is virtue in weighing and considering all arguments on any given topic; some things arenā€™t worth reading or responding to at all. Also, in some situations when there is more at stake, winning an argument (or appearing to) can be more important than the quality of discussion.

For me, people and posts I feel are worth responding to in the first place are usually also worth treating charitably. But, rather than relying upon othersā€™ charity in return when there is little reason to expect it, I guess the only way forward is to communicate better.

The problem is, though, if no one on both sides of any particular argument is ever really willing to take the time to understand where their opponents are coming from, the result is that very few people will ever change their minds one way or the other; then you get results like in this quote from no_fun_girlā€™s linked article:

Itā€™s very difficult to avoid this type of outcome, especially in political discussions where taking increasingly polarized positions is par for the course. But itā€™s not a hopeless affair either.

2 Likes

Determining which arguments are worth hearing and which can be dismissed immediately is much like deciding what entertainment media are worth giving a watch, and which you can completely ignore.

Someone is telling you about an anime, and you see an image that has middle school girls in bikinis. Ok, you have seen enough. No more information necessary. It can be dismissed. No more information required. Same as if someone tries to tell you the earth is flat. You donā€™t need to hear their crazy reasoning. Thatā€™s just a waste of time. You are good to go.

Anything that clears the instant filter, though, is probably worth at least hearing out. For example in another thread I saw some discussion of someone claiming to use a particle accelerator to make solar cells cheaper, better, more efficient, etc. That passes the initial filter, so you hear it out. And then we start having discussions about the details, whether itā€™s actually a good idea, whether it is actually better, etc.

TL;DR: I donā€™t need to watch one episode of the perv anime to know itā€™s bad and I donā€™t need to listen to any arguments from the nazi to know they deserve an ass-whupping.

3 Likes

This is true, and I do generally try to consider the merits of arguments on topics I am interested in discussing. Considering the perspectives of arguers and context of the audience is paramount for all in a discussion.

However.

I am expressly not interested in discussing the merits of pro-Nazi arguments. As far as I am concerned, this matter should have been settled in World War II where we said ā€œfuck youā€ to the Nazis with giant military machinery.

This is where things are getting sticky. It appears increasingly obvious that there is a contingent out there fallaciously committed to the concept of centrism and hearing ā€œboth sidesā€ without weighing in. False equivalence is pervasive and maddening, and is literally making it harder to get actual useful discussion out there.

There appears to be a culture for whom not taking an educated stance is a virtue.

I read a great opinion piece recently that sums it up for me. Itā€™s science-focused, but the principles apply elsewhere:

4 Likes

If we narrow the constraints of this discussion from nazism at large to specifically whether or not itā€™s ok to punch a nazi giving an interview. I started reading this thread as a nay and ended firmly in the yay camp.

Nobody gave my arguments any charitable interpretation and I was made to feel a little bad for having held them in the first place. I think thatā€™s fine. It also, at least in my case, changed a mind. Anecdotal but still.

Holy shit. Witness guy had consumed over 800mg of THC. That canā€™t be right. 80 I can sorta believe because thatā€™s like 8 edibles.

But yes. When I found out this happened in Seattle my heart smiled.

Also, @no_fun_girl:

A39CE6E7-11D7-485C-A12C-D64F27B2D371-8460-000009A94E0805D5

3 Likes

I gear this in Hitchcockā€™s voice.

Of course. But itā€™s not like anyone has come into this thread to propound the merits of fascism; not that Iā€™ve noticed, anyway. One could argue that some arguments in this thread have been pro-Nazi in effect despite not being so in intent; indeed, some forumites in this thread seem to want to infer such intent on the part of others as well. But if you ignore an argument simply because you think itā€™s what the Nazis want you to think, you are potentially in possession of a fully general counterargument, and thatā€™s not a good thing.

That said, even straight-up pro-Nazi arguments can be worth listening to; not for any kind of consideration of the merits, but rather to analyze them and see what makes them tick. If one really wants to be effective at fighting propaganda (which was and is the Nazisā€™ most powerful weapon) one needs to understand it first.

I donā€™t think we have any actual ā€œboth sidesā€ people here on the forum, at least not vocal ones. But even without those people the existence of the ā€œboth sidesā€ narrative makes the discussion very difficult indeed. Unless they do it very carefully, anyone pushing back against even the most extreme views will be viewed (perhaps correctly) as aiding the Nazisā€™ cause.

3 Likes

Whoā€™d have thought that this thread title didnā€™t explicitly state contemporary.

Turns out in 1939, 20,000 nazis marched on MSG. 100,000 protested it. Someone has taken all the archive footage of the event and edited it together.

2 Likes

Is anyone else starting to fear the American flag? The opening act for a band I saw Tuesday night had one draped over their merch table and, not knowing them at all (they turned out to be 60s liberation types) I was afraid of the crowd they were gonna draw. I have to remind myself that John Brown wanted to keep the Star Spangled Banner after his revolution to stay calm when I see the flag now.

4 Likes