Mouth Moods

Also, remember that this kind of mashup is equally appealing to my brain when it’s purely “classical” music.

Because this album was all over my twitter timeline for a moment this morning, I decided to listen it. The beginnin is really rough. During the first song for a moment I though “this sucks, maybe I should just skip listening this thing,” but I kept going and found that there was some good stuff in there. Overall I enjoyed it, enough to listen it second time. The second listen just confirmed that it’s pretty back heavy, at least for my preferences.

[quote=“Rym, post:17, topic:387”]
It’s interesting, but few people would say that they enjoy it outside of that technical appreciation.
[/quote]What do you call that event horizon? Like so inside baseball normals don’t even necessarily know there’s something to get.

I enjoy the hell out of all of it. For one, just the audacity of the mix. There’s a reverence for the source material in the way an ancient hunter has reverence for every piece of their quarry.

I love how it just punches you in the face over and over with sound.

I enjoyed the album overall, but it’s not the kind of music I can listen to over and over. More something to pop on once in a while when I’m feeling whimsical.

I mean, there is definitely a technical prowess in the sampling, composition, etc. But the insistence on sticking to garbage music from the 90s and 2000s is the most off-putting thing. And the tendency to juxtapose ‘hard’ music with pop just isn’t that interesting. However you dice most of those songs, it doesn’t make them any less shitty. I tend to think this way of most mashups though. The usually focus more on generating nostalgia than they do at being musically interesting.

This isn’t bad, but I prefer Girl Talk for this sort of stuff.

I gave Mouth Silence a listen. It feels like an emphasis on everything annoying about pop music—an audible zoom-and-enhance.

This was me.

Playing this at a concert would be genocide.

Ladies and gentlemen, three-hundred megabytes of hard drive capacity.

[quote=“Rym, post:20, topic:387”]
It scratches the same itch that fugues do. Fugue is one of my favorite types of music, and always has been.
[/quote]You would enjoy GEB if you haven’t already read it. It’s about fugues. And computers.

Mouth Sounds was also not my jam, but Mouth Moods is pretty great.

Those poor tigers.

A week later, this is growing on me a lot. Need to spend more time with the first two albums.

I forced the entire Tabletop department to listen to Mouth Moods while doing teardown on Sunday. I brought a bluetooth speaker setup explicitly for this purpose. It went well enough that I donated the speaker system to our travelling office supplies bin.

So, I thought I was not going to enjoy this. I was wrong. To be fair I like the first like “song” of the album the least but I just kept it on and it’s like I’ve been on a journey.

♬ Just a man ♬
♬ Just a tiger man ♬

Several of the songs on here have become regular listening. Tiger, Bustin, Smooth…Lots of great things happening here.

We put this on as house music while they were loading the audience for our panel. Everyone who walked in had the same reaction one at a time.

1. Hey, I know this song
  2. Head nodding
  3. … wait…
  4. wtf?

I put this on for Katie last night. Her reaction was, “I don’t really like it, but it’s still catchy.” Her favorite song was Floor Corn.