Marvel Cinematic Universe

Avengers: Endgame is definitely a new generation’s Return of the King or Deathly Hallows Part 2.

This time I can say that I got to experience the whole thing back from watching the first Iron Man in 2008. God, what a satisfying, emotional thrill ride the MCU has been. I predicted a few places this would go, but the movie as a whole went in directions I was not expecting and made everything all the more better. Thought it was a mostly (and I’m talking 95%) tidy way to wrap up many storylines while leaving opening many new roads for lots of characters. Although this is more in lines with a season finale; I could see ending a chapter of this genre of Superhero movies here. Plus I think anyone who had issues with Infinity War in terms of pay-off or tone, this I thought made up for it tenfold.

1 Like

In place of a mid-credits scene there were main cast signatures, and in place of a post-credits screen there was a mysterious sound effect.

The sound effect was the sound of

Spoiler

Tony Stark forging the first Iron Man suit from the very first movie.

2 Likes

It’s just amazing that they were able to make a movie that pays off so many of the other movies in fun and eventiful ways to the call backs to Avengers, Dark world and Winter Solider just to name a few, were stellar. Every character had a pivotal moment at some point or another. There are some really strange questions raised from it but man, was it a ride…

1 Like

Just returned from Spiderman: Far From Home, which is a good sequel with some excellent action, a ton of jokes that land, and a nice continuation of the MCU, even though they kind of handwave away the whole “some people were dead for 5 years” thing. It kind of toys with the theme of hero-worship, but in the end doesn’t really make a decision one way or another really.

The biggest flaw with the movie is of course that the big reveal in the middle is hardly a reveal for anybody even passingly familiar with Spider-man’s rogues gallery. Hint hint: Mysterio is bad guy. However, at times they did have me guessing whether he may be at least somewhat legit. I guess having a good actor like Jake Gyllanhaal in that role pays off. The really big reveals they keep for the post-credits scenes, both of which are very much changing things up a lot, which unfortunately makes this movie seem less important.

Some smaller observations:

• The mindbending scenes of Mysterio toying with Peter’s psyche are fantastic, but also don’t really make all that much logical sense considering that Mysterio’s other tricks require rehearsal.
  • I love that they brought back JK Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson. He is just born for this role. Turning The Daily Bugle into an InfoWars kind of website is also a great choice.
  • I always pay attention to the music credits at the end and was surprised to find A message to you Rudy there, which only shows up in that post-credits scene. For my regional audience however that song is a bit “tainted” (for lack of a better word) as the song has been used in advertising for an austrian break open lottery game for almost 30 years now.
  • They managed to fit a Ramones song in as well, which I am a big fan of.
2 Likes

2 Likes

Nothing else matters now that Kate Bishop is coming to he MCU.

1 Like

Yeah, I am excited as well. It is mostly based on the font they used, but if that is really a “Hawkguy” series, count me in. However, I’m not sure how that would square with “Happy family man” Hawkeye that has been the MO for the character in the MCU so far.

I really think that the collection of Disney+ series’s that feature the movie stars as lead characters will not be that way long-term. I can’t imagine Tom Hiddleston, Jeremy Renner, Anthony Mackie, Sebastian Stan, Elizabeth Olsen, etc doing a TV show for long when they’ll be in high demand elsewhere. I suspect that these shows will either end up being short-term miniseries’s to lure subscribers to try Disney+ or they’ll be jumping off points for new characters they plan to introduce (such as Kate Bishop).

I also just got back from the theater, seeing Avengers Endgame for the second time. These movies are just so much fun, I’ll be rewatching this franchise again and again for my whole life.

They said they are limited series.

With influences on the Movies, like WandaVision ties into where the Dr. Strange Movie is going.

1 Like

Ah that’s perfect then. That’s what I get for not reading the articles.

Hawkeye series is supposed to cover his time as Ronin? I am completely unfamiliar with this. My only exposure to Hawkeye was the Matt Fraction run which was amazing. Does it make sense to merge this Ronin story and the Kate Bishop stuff? The logo totally makes it look like it’s Fraction time. Or is this a warning sign?

I stand corrected, I also played as Hawkeye in Captain America & The Avengers on Genesis and in the arcade.

1 Like

Noooooooooo…

Some of the best MCU movies have been with Spider-Man. Plus, I don’t trust Sony at all to manage that franchise.

Well, Spider-Verse was Sony’s production so they can make good Spider-Man movies, but I was somewhat looking forward for the movie that post/mid-credits scene of Far From Home promised, so potentially missing out on that would be a bummer.

I give it 1-2 films with less success again before Sony comes back to the table. The deal helped Rehab the brand so they have to drive it back into the ground again, maybe they can do yet another reboot and retell that same old origin story.

You may be right, but even if Spider-Man eventually goes back to the MCU, Tom Holland probably won’t be Peter Parker anymore. He’s been my favorite Peter Parker by far.

I heard the deal is still in negotiations, it’s just a producer report involved Feige.

Personally, I think Venom was proof to Sony that anything involved with Spiderman is so inherently popular that it’s just about guaranteed to make money. All the Spiderman Movies have fans and defenders. Though even with Venom’s fans; I thought that movie was just as cynically corporate as any DCEU or MCU movie but it still made 800 million dollars globally. Sony has 6 Spiderman related projects in the pipeline.

I feel bad for Tom Holland cause of how MCU really lies on him now. But this is also because of Disney’s greed overextending.

2 Likes

I’m 1000% onboard with this. My understanding though is that if the first few Spider-Man works has slipped into public domain, all of the more recent works would still be under copyright, so anything that was unique to Spider-Man wouldn’t be able to be used. You’d have to take retro Spidey and use him as-is, and branch off in fresh direction.

Shit, I’d be down for reading/watching some of that.