Marvel Cinematic Universe

2 Likes

Debating showing some of the earlier Marvel movies to the kid. Sheā€™s gone with me to Spider Man, Black Panther, and Captain Marvel now that sheā€™s older, and saw most of Guardians of the Galaxy in a home viewing once. Hmmm. Where to start. Iron Man 1? Captain America 1? And which ones to skipā€¦

Show her the opening credits of Hulk but skip the rest of the movie.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure how old she is, but one of my friends showed some of the early Iron Man movies to his ~10 year old daughters, and they felt that they were too violent. Based on that I might skip Iron Man 1, 2, and Cap 1 just because of the realistic violence and depictions of war. And Thor 1 might be a little slow for younger kids by todayā€™s standards, but it could work. But I think starting chronologically with Avengers 1 they switched to more sci-fi violence beating up on aliens and robots, so I might start there and work forwards.

This is funny cause this afternoon I was looking for something to watch with Kaylee and she saw me click past ā€œant-man and the Waspā€ and she was like ā€œI WANNA WATCH ANT-MANā€ and of course I was like, we need to watch ā€œAnt-manā€ first. However itā€™s one of the few Marvel films I donā€™t own and itā€™s not on any of the 5 streaming services I have. So we are currently watching Ant-man and the Wasp right now, so far, she gets into all the action scenes and sorta loses interest when they go too long without some shrinking but overall is loving it. Pretty much had the same experience with Captain Marvel, she was getting bored during the first half and COMPLETELY 100% on board for the second. Iā€™ll probably go back and start watching Iron Man and such with her. This summer sheā€™s going to be starting Star wars and such. So I guess it depends on the film. Sheā€™s 4 1/2.

Yes, theyā€™ll even play Avengers: Endgame.

Nearly 60 hours of non-stop movie watching.

I like watching Marvel Movies but this seems like itā€™s boarding on Clockwork Orange.

Like, do you sleep? when do you sleep? Just find which movies youā€™ve already seen the most and sleep then? What happens when someone is snoring through some awesome fight scene?

Well, I presume they will be playing Thor: Dark World.

3 Likes

The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, and Thor came out back to back. Thatā€™s a solid power nap.

1 Like

Iā€™ve not been to one of these, but Iā€™m like a stone cold expert in terrible sleep often times in a chair.

The answer is you sleep whenever you canā€™t keep your eyes open anymore. Itā€™s not restful sleep and itā€™s very light so likely to be disturbed at any action scene. At some point you wake up and spend the entire rest of the thing drifting in and out of sleep a half hour or so at a time until 40 hours are up.

All of this sounds horrendous.

I read a really good report from someone who did a cinema Marvel Movie marathon last year (I think), and she did it without looking at her phone, to make sure she didnā€™t just get distracted by Twitter. Lots of good things about everyone cheering when Stan Lee made a cameo.

1 Like

This sounds similar to the one time I decided to marathon Eva after two days of not sleeping, while I was in college.
I never understood Eva more than at that moment when I finished. And I never will again.

I enjoyed anime marathons at RIT. Weā€™d always do the same format. 13 episodes Saturday. 13 episodes Sunday. Both during the day.

1 Like

Wizard magazine 1994

2 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4XgpB7WbYY

Wanna do something fun?

-Do a Google search for thanos
-Click the gauntlet.

Enjoy!
(Itā€™s randomized, BTW.)

1 Like

Iā€™ve just returned from Avengers: Endgame. You should definitely go watch it as it is a huge cinematic milestone and cultural event, and its a good movie in its own right apart from that as well. There is however no mid- or post-credits scene (at least not in my showing).

SPOILER WARNING IN FULL EFFECT

The first thing for the movie is of course a somewhat odd structure. For a large part, it doesnā€™t actually have a villain, as Thanos gets summarily murked less than 15 minutes into the film, though that of course only sets up hopelessness of the film with Thanos having destroyed the stones and thus providing no avenue to undo his actions, though of course at 3 hours of runtime the film of course doesnā€™t end here.

Instead, the film feels more like a puzzle or deduction movie, where the characters have to piece together how to undo what has occurred, and whether that is actually possible. Time travel hijinks ensue. Of course as a super-hero film it is inherently tied to action and so they have Thanos reprise as the main villain at the end, posing an even bigger threat as in not to have his lifelong masterpiece undone, upping the ante and reestablishing his menacing presence which could have been undercut by him being eliminated so easily earlier in the film.

Most importantly however this story again focuses primarily on Tony Stark, who starts out as fatalistic, having given up and unwilling to pursue a different course. However, he canā€™t help himself and figures stuff out anyway, carrying a course of redemption where he both also forgives and makes up with his father due to the time-travel shenanigans. He of course pays the Iron price for this, as he ends up one of by my count six or seven major characters from the series who died since he beginning of Infinity War and remain permanently dead at the end of this movie. Still a good way to go out. Thor had a similar arc in the film, in which he finds a course of redemption. Finally there is Cap, who has some of the best fight scenes and lines in the film, but he also passes the torch on his very own terms and you can do nothing but think he deserves every second of it, though it is kind of a plot hole.

What surprised me however who little screentime Captain Marvel has in this film. She is used in two major plot points, but both seem kind of contrived or could have been achieved through other means. She is also entirely absent in the time-travel scenario. She seems kind of superfluous to the film, which is weird for her film still being in the cinemas.

I will however grant that her reappearing at the end of the film gave me goosebumps a bit. However, no bigger goosebumps were felt than in the scene that rings in the final fight which just filled me up with glee and excitement, as did a couple of scenes earlier where we see a pure fanservice scene play out and it is just the best thing ever and somewhat justifies itself.

My other major gripe is Clint Bartonā€™s subplot. I guess him going full Ronin is kind of badass, but his story felt kind of unnecessary, unwarranted and unfulfilling. His exchange with Natasha in one of the pivotal scenes was kind of nice though. I was however thoroughly disappointed that the girl he teaches at the start of the film was not Kate Bishop.

2 Likes