Marvel Cinematic Universe

Thanos is kinda definite to be extremely obsessed over one thing. In the comics it’s wooing Death, in the movie it’s killing half the population of the universe. That obsession gives Thanos the willpower to be the biggest, baddest, dude in the universe and that obsession allows Thanos to go far enough to get hold of the Infinity Stones and the Gauntlet. So of course that singular, defining, obsession doesn’t disappear after he gets the ultimate power.
At least that’s how I see it.

I think we have to admit that comic book omnipotent isn’t magical biblical omnipotent. Perhaps then you shouldn’t call it omnipotent, but that’s not really here nor there. Like a bunch of writers trying to keep moving the goal posts with a bigger and bigger bad guy.

Like on a scale of things a single celled organism doesn’t have any real conception of its world, it just is. All its actions and reactions are essentially physics/chemistry. Yet, eventually larger organisms hit a point where they have some conception of the world around them, even memories and the ability to simulate some amount of their reality with their neurons. Humans are somewhere in that range, but perhaps just a bit further in their ability to abstract things and develop heuristics… with work and trial and error even systems that might explain most things on some level. Thanos is some old-ass titan, and the mind gem probably gets him somewhere between the human point and the “I know all things from all times and all places at once”. That’s a pretty massive gap, but I think he’s closer to “If I think about it for a while I can figure out just about anything”, but that’s the thing, it’s not yet at perfect or absolute knowledge. It’s somewhere pretty high, but not arbitrarily infinite. I also assume the same for the rest of the gems… to some degree even in the comics because the whole idea of biblical-sense omniscience or omnipotence is really weird. It only really makes sense to me in abstracts, like an author or a reader has “infinite ability to change the story”, but honestly while that seems relatively true it’s also kinda a pointless tautology.

That took me down an unexpected rabbit hole. Apparently Deadpool and Death we’re a thing? Also learned about Overspace and Underspace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcEbZ_vexA8

2 Likes

Is Spider-Man 2099 gonna be in it? I may actually have to watch then.

Ant Man and the Wasp! Good movie, almost as funny as the first. A real breath of fresh air after Thanos Part One. My prediction of who would survive the mid-credit mid-Thanos sequence was incorrect.

2 Likes

Captain Marvel!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1BCujX3pw8&feature=share

3 Likes

Oh yeah boy. Also some Skrulls are in this thing.

Is Captain Marvel the same hero who loses her powers to Rogue from the X-Men? Or is that a different Marvel or what?

Yes, that was Carol Danvers, but she was known as Ms. Marvel then.

Some info on the history of the Captain Marvel character and Carol Danvers, uh, troubled story which I hope they will simply be ignored in the movie version which would be best for all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LROCPznHLTM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGvoRoWqdlQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDNa8Hb__78

2 Likes

Late to the party because I just watched Infinity Wars. One thing I’ve always wondered about after reading the Infinity Gauntlet and now watching this was how the “half the population of the universe” worked mechanically. Is it just completely random? Half the population of every planet, space station, etc?

In the movie, we know it’s not completely random because Stark gets specifically spared. If it was completely random, it’s possible that whole planets could theoretically be spared (just not Earth, because drama).

Wow, you weren’t kidding about the troubled part.

After working several cases with the Avengers, Ms. Marvel was invited to join the team during the Scarlet Witch’s leave of absence.[31] She quickly established herself as a valuable member, but left the team following a bizarre unwanted pregnancy caused by “Marcus”, who claimed to be the son of Immortus.

“Bizarre unwanted pregnancy” a.k.a rape

I did find it interesting how Ms Marvel after losing her powers to Rogue. Got new found powers from the Brood’s experimentation and became new hero called Binary.

One thing I forgot to add to the above post is that Danvers picked up the mantle of Captain Marvel as well as her new costume (including the Mohawk helmet also present in the movie) in 2012, shortly after the videos I posted above were released. This is why she isn’t mentioned as one of the people using the moniker of Captain Marvel, though Monica Rambeau (who is most likely the wingman [or wingwoman?] in the trailer) is listed.

I’m sure the videos go into this, but Chris Clairmont (famous for his X-men run) writing in Avengers, has her come back and pretty much tell off the Avengers (and the writers) for letting that happen to her.

Trigger: Mind control, rape.
https://www.cbr.com/meta-messages-chris-claremont-sticks-up-for-ms-marvel/

needless to say they’ve been working hard retcon that storyline.

2 Likes

Apparently James Gunn has been hired to write the script for the Suicide Squad sequel. His firing is still absolutel attrocious, but maybe he can make something out of SuiSquad, though basically anything would be an improvement over the first one.

Not even a sequel - just a full reboot. They’re not even trying to salvage the last one, far as I’m aware.

Good, there isn’t a lot to salvage anyway.

So I saw Captain Marvel last night, really solid movie. Definitely worth seeing. I’ll probably go see it at least one more time in the theater, most likely IMAX.

What struck me was watching two women (both considerably older than myself) talk about how they enjoyed the movie while exiting the theater.

2 Likes

So the new “Garbage People Turning Test” is the cerebral contortions people will go through. Is how Alita is a much better hero than Captain Marvel. gags

Note: I say “better hero” not “better movie”.

1 Like