Marvel Cinematic Universe

You can also get malt vinegar at catfish restaurants. Well here in Texas I’ve seen it available.

I’ve never been a fan of Malt viniger, I prefer white on my fries.

Never tried white vinegar on fries. Do you salt them too? Malt vinegar alone isn’t any good either, the deliciousness comes from the malt vinegar & salt combo.

Salt is key on potato-based things of nearly all stripes.

So which Avenger would like Vinegar on their fries?

//tries to get us back on topic :-p

The British one

https://youtu.be/642x2Y3Zla0

Captain America. And it’d be a guilty pleasure because he knows he 'ought to prefer ketchup.

2 Likes

https://www.zacbertschy.com/blog/2018/5/4/dear-thanos

So I’ve been thinking about this, Is it wrong for the movie to try and make you empathize with a mass murdering psychopath? I’m of two minds on this.

Paul Chapman had a lot to say on this. I can’t share the link it’s on a closed FB group. But here is snip of it.

1 Like

Yea it is a strange aspect of the movie, they are able to spend a lot of time going into why Thanos is being a dick but no one spends anytime trying to refute his claims, Though that could be because they are busy preventing him from killing everyone, but it’s definitely strange that noone like Gamora when given the chance to make a philosophical counter point doesn’t even attempt to do it for the movie’s sake.

Though to be fair, realistically, they would all be attempting to kill Thanos since it’s clearly self-evident that he’s in the wrong, but maybe that’s giving the audience too much credit?

Is there any reason to believe such an argument would work on Thanos? Arguments don’t work on zealots.

True, that’s why it makes sense that they don’t (though in comics, punching doesn’t usually get in the way of philosophical debate :-p I think that’s what makes the movie strange for some. Though I think ultimately it’s pretty clear Thanos is wrong.

I’m fully expecting “Here’s how wrong you are!” to be the second movie.

1 Like

Not having seen the movie obviously, but it’s funny how almost the entire comic is just Adam Warlock and such just arguing with Thanos. Fighting is pretty minimal. Most of the action isn’t even “fighting” but things like that time the SIlver Surfer tried to steal the gauntlet by sneaking up on him really fast. Too bad there is no such thing as fast when you are up against someone omipotent and omniscient. Funny, but predictable, that the movie does not have this debate.

One thing that I know both the comic and movie get wrong is that when someone gets the gauntlet, or even just one gem, shouldn’t the increase in power/knowledge/perception immediately and drastically change that being’s perspective?

I have a lot of knowledge and opinions, but most of them I know are wrong. There are also lots of things I don’t know I don’t know. Given say, the gem of Mind or Reality, wouldn’t every one of those ideas be immediately eliminated? Most likely I would be mentally broken due to my limited capacity to handle this power. If not that, then at least everything I know would immediately and drastically change. No matter what I believe now, no matter what my goals are now, I would instantly become a completely different person given a complete and true understanding of the workings of the universe.

I don’t think there’s any reason to be ambivalent about it. If the movie raises questions about the ethics and morality of extreme utilitarianism, then so be it? The gap between the two movies gives us time to let those thoughts simmer anyway. I’m of the mindset that you should consider a vast number of philosophical ideas, even those that seem morally or culturally abhorrent, because you should challenge your own world views and test them and more completely attempt to understand them. I like that a comic book movie is trying to have a little depth to it. Sure, it’s not a lot, but it’s better than the previous movies.

That said though, Apreche makes a good point that the movie didn’t quite take advantage of the stones influencing Thanos. Or maybe they did… if the soul stone perhaps influenced his feelings about Stark? And now with the time and the mind stone there’s more to consider. Maybe when it’s all said and done Thanos isn’t beaten so much as he puts down the gauntlet. Maybe we’ll get a Dr. Strange soul conversation with Thanos through the next movie, as I think that could bring some cool things out.

But either way, I feel annoyed when people think the very idea of being exposed to something that violates their culture or whatever predispositions means that either their culture is challenged or it’ll influence their children or something. That’s part of life, and dealing with it is how it’s overcome, not hiding from it and pretending it shouldn’t happen.

2 Likes

Are you sure the stones are not affecting Thanos, every time he gets the stones, he almost purposely sabotages himself to the point that Warlock comments on waiting for Thanos to ultimately undermine his own position.

Yes, but he doesn’t drastically change his mentality. Given that much power, knowledge and understanding, would instantly and drastically change any sentient being’s personality. They would immediately become someone else.

A good example of this can be seen in Akira. As soon as Tetsuo gets powers, he changes A LOT, and he changes FAST.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Side thought, he was the original bearer of one stone in this movie. He killed Loki for the space? one. Then the collector for reality. Then Gamora for soul. Then he doesn’t immediately kill Strange, but Strange is dead at the end for time. Finally Vision for mind.

And all those players are off the board, but they could totally take part in an inner monologue with Thanos in the next movie specifically because they’re dead.