It's Handegg Season

So you think your reputation is undeserved? How much you want to bet your people won’t misbehave 11 days from now?

FWIW, Philly has ~1.5m people and NY has ~8.5m. Assuming a similar rate of sports fans in the two cities I’d expect there to be 17 New York incidents for every 3 Philly ones. Having an even number or even slightly more NY ones still shows higher volume of violence among Philly fans.

Not commenting on whether that’s what the numbers show, just saying what my expectations would be, all other things even.

Your calculation is way off. Number of people in the city is irrelevant. What you would need is a total of all spectators for all sports events. It doesn’t matter whether New York has a bigger population if say the same number of games are played in both cities. And yes, I know that New York has a larger number of teams than Philadelphia, but your expectation is still way off.

Also notice how Scott has moved the goalposts from “Philadelphia is the worst of them all” to “Philadelphia is worse than New York”.

1 Like

No, PA is still the worst of them all.

Also, you seem to have ignored my bet. Will Philly misbehave next week or not? I am 100% confident they will, win or lose. I am confident enough to put money down.

You’re kidding right? New York has a huge population of people watching the sports live, often in bars and restaurants (or parks even). The average % of population watching in New York is probably the same as in Philly. Population is a useful metric irrespective of the narrower view of spectators.

For what it’s worth I’ve not cared about the discussion until my darling city was brought into it.

Yes, but he does have a point, it’s not really about number of people in a city, it’s fans of a sport. The Yankees have fans, like me, in Connecticut. The Flyers have fans not in Philly proper, there’s another number at work here. I just don’t know how to calculate the absolute number of say Rangers fans vs say Flyers fans.

I’m guessing it’s loosely correlated with city pop though, just not… like absolutely correlated.

1 Like

It would not be relevant to the article Scott provided, which only lists events between fans and participants during an event.

For the record, I just counted incidents in Chicago from that article. I count 7 items. Truly Philadelphia must be the worst of the worst…

• July 23, 1976
  • July 12, 1979
  • September 28, 1995
  • May 16, 2000
  • September 19, 2002
  • April 15, 2003
  • August 12, 2009

Yea also New York and Philly have overlapping Metro area’s, like New Jersey is just pretty much a metro area for New York or Philly. How about we just blame all our problems on people from new Jersey. Clearly this is a good compromise.

1 Like

I mean, New England’s been doing a great job of that with Rhode Island since 18Forever.

Just FYI, I also didn’t ignore your “bet”, I am just not going to agree to a sucker bet. Of course there will be some unruly fans, always, which is my position. No team is beyond that. You yourself said as much. It is also not the topic of discussion whether there are bad eggs, but whether Philadelphia has more bad eggs than other cities. For you to make a point you’d have to prove that the Eagles fans in attendence caused more incidents that any other fan base, and you can’t.

But nice try moving the goal posts once more, and basically doing the same thing I said the media does at the beginning of the discussion. If a fan from Philadelphia steps over the line, obviously Philadelphia is just the worst. If a fan from any other city does something similar, it doesn’t matter, to you or the media.

Vince McMahon is going to make “a major sports announcement” at 3pm ET. Most likely it’s a relaunch of the XFL.

Good luck with all that.

Only way I can see a new XFL having any level of success is if it goes out of its way to make itself some sort of developmental league for the NFL and sets up teams in smaller cities that don’t already have NFL teams.

If it were the “football, but we keep changing rules to see if we can keep the game but lose the CTE”

No, the XFL is literally the opposite of that.

It’s just two guys banging their heads together until one of them passes out. Meanwhile, two different dudes pass a football back and forth until one of them drops it.

The XFL was conceived as an outdoor football league that would take place during the NFL off-season, and promoted as having fewer rules and encouraging rougher play than other major leagues.

Emphasis added by me.

I suspect that the new XFL is going to focus on changing the things that cause the perceived decline in ratings of the NFL. But not the real reasons - just the ones that conservatives like to believe are the reasons.

So this is going to be the league that puts the focus on the Flag, the Troops, God, and 'Murica first.

And the rumor is they are targeting noted clean-cut, controversy-free player Johnny Manziel to be one of their top guys.

The biggest irony will be when the best QB they can get will be Colin Kaepernick.

1 Like

Why does the top pro wrestling company want to try to appeal to right wing America when most of their existing wrestling fans lean left?

Because Vince McMahon is friends with Donald Trump, and has a history of ignoring what the general populace actually wants when it comes to his vanity projects.

2 Likes