Identify Yourself

good snooping, yeah it’s Raytheon. have worked at 3 different facilities so far. Their coworker gaming groups are pretty weak, but that’s not a surprise considering I’m 27 and still part of the youngest people working there

Sounds about right. Banks and defense are both places waiting for this “internet” fad to pass, so…

I work for a General Dynamics company so, I feel ya, what with being not young but still amongst the young’uns. I’m 30, everyone else in my work-group is at least 50. There was a guy at least 80-something until about 6 months ago, finally made him retire. Lot’s of “this place has gone to crap; back in the 80’s…” I just tell myself that I’m sure they heard a lot of “this place has gone to crap; back in the 40’s…” in their day.

Wow. I’m 36 and I’m the old guy.

Hey all,

I’m Sam Erickson. I’m 36 years old, born and raised in Minneapolis, MN. I’m a husband and dad of two little girls (with a third one on the way). I work as a paramedic in the Twin Cities area and before that I bartended at TGI Friday’s for a decade.

I’ve been really into board games and game design for a while. I saw Rym and Scott’s panel at PAXU and was hooked.

I’m on Twitter a bunch as @samerickson :smile:

Well, I mean, I know like 3 tech writers there and 4 engineers at GD, so when you said “defense contractor in MA” I was like “well that’s only so many options.” :slight_smile:

what’s tech writing like? I’ve been looking to make a career sidestep and was exploring that option

Hi new people waves

Depends on your inclinations. The friends I have who do it are somewhat conflicted because they don’t support strong military intervention but wind up writing manuals for implements of death, so emotionally it can be a struggle.

The work itself, from what they tell me, is satisfying in the way that efficiently organizing your home is satisfying. You try to convey complex concepts in a clear, unambiguous way - so it’s a good challenge trying to think from someone else’s perspective, and to imagine various audiences. The end product is a tight, efficient communication that showcases your skill.

Basically, if you’re into the nuanced complexity of trying to communicate simply and clearly, it can be very rewarding.

Pay’s alright from what I gather, but I don’t usually talk salary with most of my friends. Not for any particular reason - it just doesn’t come up.

that sounds right up my alley, I have an almost fetishistic affinity with absorbing/designing rules systems. Thanks for the info