How did you find GeekNights?

I’m furniture as far as I can remember. Everything else, in terms of podcasts, that I know of from that era was through Geeknights. What brought me initially here’s a mystery at this point. In the same vein, to be fair, I also don’t remember when I actively followed most of the podcast. Cherry picking’s been a thing for too long.

I found GeekNights by searching for things about The Prince of Nothing/Aspect-Emperor books :slight_smile: none of my friends have read the books (and the ones who I leant them to failed to read them :stuck_out_tongue :stuck_out_tongue: ) so good to hear them being discussed - surely a full show dedicated to the series is due now it’s complete?? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I found GN Several years ago via podcast promos and crossover guest appearances. I can’t remember exactly when I first heard about the show but it was either on Anime World Order, Fast Karate for the Gentleman, Greatest Movie Ever, or the Ninja Consultants podcasts. Been a fan ever since. Got to see Rym and Scott live once here in Seattle at PAX.

I was hanging out with Fast Karate last night =P

Those guys are ridiculously awesome. Still can’t get into watching “24”.

I need to hop back into the Fast Karate train, I thought they ended the podcast and stopped listening then.

Mysteriously found this card on the floor many years ago…

2 Likes

Haha, that’s my real card, as opposed to the generic GeekNights one! =P

1 Like

My friend told me about this place. I like it, anyway.

1 Like

PAX Unplugged 2018. I went to a talk on Wargaming (the traditonal strategic planning and officer training kind) and my wife who was wholly not interested went to your talk on Top 40 Boardgames to play before you die or something along those lines and told me about it. I wholly scoffed at the title as clickbait but we did find and watch a video of the same presentation from an earlier con on youtube and I was very into the presentation style you guys have and have been mainlining geeknights and con vids from you ever since.

You sound exactly like the kind of elitist asshole we like 'round these parts.

3 Likes

I still scoff, and I was on the panel.

1 Like

Our panel titles are just sugar. Gotta trick the babies into eating their medicine.

4 Likes

Near the start of COVID, my partner and I bought an Asmodee Humble Bundle that included games like Twilight Struggle, Smallworld, etc. It turned out that Carcassone was the only game I could stomach[*], so I looked for guides to getting better at Carcassone and found Rym and Scott’s panel! Then I kept watching because I felt like the panels felt like they catered precisely to my demographic, and then I subscribed to the Monday / Thursday podcasts because, again, they seem to speak precisely to my demographic.

[*] I am comically bad at games.

In every game of 7 Wonders Duel, I go for the buildings because the cards are such a pretty blue color.

I am in a game of Diplomacy with some work teammates where (as Italy) I had an obsessive desire to get Trieste from Austria even though it strategically probably didn’t make any sense. I joined the game purely out of FOMO.

I ‘lost’ Stardew Valley by spending all my money on cauliflower and planting it at the end of spring. I also got trapped by planting beanstalks around myself and was sad to have to cut one down to get free. My partner (good at games) wished he could offer me a microloan.

However, I can now 80% play Carcassone!

2 Likes

May I take a guess who did the talk?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwTSIOVdjQc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ_y8QDgMvg

Very nice. It sounds like you aren’t actually bad at games, but are simply deciding your own goals which are separate from those the game wants. It also sounds like you know this already. If you really want to get good at it, I suggest the next step is to get an app and practice playing many games. Getting more playtime under your belt than your opponent will definitely get you that last 20% and beyond. Good luck.

1 Like

During Anime Boston 2013, my older brother (speedrunner and created the popular AMVs Animegraphy 2012-15) recommended panels by these guys “Rym & Scott”. I was 16 at the time and this was my first AnimeCon ever, so “How to Recommend Anime”, if I recall the title correctly, was my first panel.

I related to it a lot because my friends are bad at recommending anime. I then watched “How to Run an Anime Club” which didn’t relate to me as much but was super helpful later when I helped to run the Video Game/Smash Bros. Club at my college. The next 2 panels were “All Anime are the Same” and of course, “Judge Anime by its Cover”. I continued to watch their panels in the following few Anime Bostons, and then all the ones online.

Btw I was wondering if “How to Recommend Anime” or “All Anime are the Same” are still anywhere on the Internet. I’ve been wanting to rewatch “How to Recommend Anime” to prove to my friends that my anime tastes are better than theirs.

1 Like

I completely forgot we even did those panels.

1 Like

Sadly most of our anime panels are not online. With anime con security making it too much of a pain to get our gear in, poor lighting in the panel rooms, copyright flags, etc… we tended to not bother.

BUT! We will very likely be doing a panel or two a Crunchyroll Expo online! “How to Recommend” is one we are considering dusting off!

1 Like

You really need to dig and search to find some of them, however some of them are still out there:

3 Likes