Household Stuffs

I’m not lashing out. I’m making fun of people who don’t/can’t brush their teeth properly. Just like I make fun of that guy who doesn’t wear deodorant or doesn’t shower. Doing it with an electric toothbrush is better than not doing it, but why would anyone who brushes properly need that extra assistance in the first place?

I’ll give an obvious pass to people with physical disabilities that make it hard for them to brush manually.

Also, let’s talk about moneys. The electric toothbrushes on Amazon that are highly rated cost $40, not counting replacement brushy parts. I get a free plastic toothbrush from the dentist once or twice a year for free. Even if I have to buy one, that’s $5. I mean, it’s not like the electric toothbrush is expensive if you have money. Just relatively speaking, it’s way more than the normal kind.

Uh, I’m sure you are, but just in case, you should be replacing that every three months or so, or sooner if the bristles fray, according to the ADA.

But anyway - you don’t need to spend even 40 bucks. The one I use is about twenty on amazon(I got it on sale for about fifteen), and I buy generic-but-identical oralb imitation heads(about 16 bucks for a pack of 20, swap the head every three months), despite initial outlay I’m ahead on the whole deal by a pretty decent amount. 20 $5 toothbrushes is a fair amount more than $16 for 20 heads.

And better than doing it with a manual toothbrush, but let’s not split hairs.

I don’t know. I’m not a dentist, but from the dentists I’ve known or been a client of, all have recommended electric toothbrushes unconditionally. Personally? My dentist recommended it, and now, I prefer it presumably because I’m used to it now. I use a manual brush when I travel, generally, because it’s less weight and space to lug around.

Any disease or disorder that causes dry mouth has a hugely negative impact on tooth health. No amount of brushing can make up for it.

If that’s your problem, electric toothbrush isn’t going to save you.

It’s a robot toothbrush. A robot! You want a robot x for almost any value of x. At least I do.

1 Like

I must advocate for the Dyson. They are expensive yes, but goddamn, they last and they’re great at what they do. I spent ~$600AUD on mine and considering how much I vacuum, I feel I have gotten my money’s worth for how much better it has made the experience.

We got a new robot. :robot:

https://youtu.be/SM026tg6nng

1 Like

I stupidly didn’t see the dentist for over a year and had a few cavities.

My dentist ended up giving me a free Sonicare toothbrush and it’s bar none the BEST toothbrush I’ve had, hands down. It makes brushing easier for me because I’m impatient.

I like who it’s has a timer for 2 minutes when you start using it and beeps every 30 seconds to let you know when to change to a different quadrant of your teeth. Since using it, my dentist is so happy and my gums are in great shape.

I now mainly brush my teeth when showering because now I have a timer for when I condition my hair. XD

You can get cheap replacement brushes on Amazon or get a bundle at Costco. Not really expensive and seriously better, for me, than regular brushing.

2 Likes

What’s extra fucked up is how America pretends that dental health is entirely separate from health in terms of how insurance and care work…

10 Likes

Yes, I agree entirely. I’m not harping on people who have a dental problem because of any socio-economic, genetic, or other health problems.

I am speaking specifically on the issue of electric toothbrushes. Which, by the way, are a huge benefit to people with disabilities that make it difficult to use a regular toothbrush.

I am thinking of only an able-bodied person who can afford a regular toothbrush and toothpaste. How could an electric toothbrush benefit them that much? With no other genetic, health, or socio-economic issue standing in their way, how could a non-electric toothbrush be insufficient? It can only be because a person simply is not brushing with the proper technique or frequency.

The same goes for those who have both the time and money to visit a dentist, but do not do so with enough frequency.

That lack of hygienic discipline is the only thing I am criticizing. No different than when I would criticize a stinky fan at a convention for not showering and deodorizing properly even though they are perfectly capable of doing so.

There are many other papers that seem to say the same thing. Basically, the motion, which is better than what any human can do, is highly effective at cleaning teeth. Regular toothbrushing is far far better than nothing, but studies seem to reliably show that certain kinds of powered toothbrushes are objectively more effective.

Citation?

1 Like

Were they making sure that the people using the manual brushes were using them properly and frequently enough? Was it paid for by companies that are trying to sell electric toothbrushes?

Also, I don’t see you using an electric toothbrush. If you believe that, why not go out and buy one right away?

I’ve been using one for years. I don’t bring it when I travel, but I use it at home. My dentist specifically said it would be better for my gums than regular brushing. My insurance even covers it.

1 Like

Guess you weren’t brushing properly.

Well that was some mildly baffling Deja Vu.

1 Like

I originally wanted to respond when the question was asked but saw all the responses from Scott, and was like “yeah fuck that”.

Now I just didn’t care and wanted to share my thoughts. And of course, as expected, the responses happened. :wink:

I know I should floss more, but electronic toothbrushes do make brushing teeth at least more engaging. I just wish I could change the time for beeps to me 0:45 from 0:30 seconds or whatever time I feel like.

Finally, someone is Disrupting the toothbrush.

Edit - link fixed.

Page not found.

That looks like an Onion parody of a Kickstarter project.

2 Likes

I know, right? Jesus. Like, I’m pretty ambivalent as long as you brush your damned teeth, but that thing looks like a fucking nightmare.