Hong Kong

Would this be happening now if Blizzard hadn’t merged with Activision or if the original Blizzard execs were still there?

Not true. That tweet is some made up nonsense from someone who just messed up their account and over-reacted. It’s super debunked.

1 Like

Thread.

From what I have heard the mainland Chinese citizens are hard against the movement in Hong Kong because of all of the anti mainlander sentiment in the movement that has gotten published. So as long as the NBA stuff is put under that rubric I imagine they are either supportive of the government’s action or indifferent.

Should there be a separate thread for China Censorship?

TL;DR: They’re going to give him the prize money. They also decreases his ban and the casters ban to 6 months.

I sold my tiny bit of Activision-Blizzard stock.

So… I have some thoughts.

Blizz’s basic defense here is that the guy went off topic, the blizz official stream is for discussing and hyping the game that’s being played, not for anything else. That may be enough or people who’ve never seen an official Starcraft cast or a Classical Liberal shudder.

If that’s their reasoning, why didn’t they suspend Nick Plott when he when he talked over the first 10 minutes of a Starcraft game about Artosis’s enjoyment of microwaved pizza at a blizcon?

Why didn’t they suspend Dan Stemkovski when he talked about latency issues between the Korean and American servers again on the blizzard official stream?

If it’s really just about staying on topic this is the only time I’ve ever seen this rule

“in violation of rules he acknowledged and understood”

enforced. Nah bro, if that was 100k they got massively ripped off. It doesn’t pass the barest sniff test. If you’ve ever seen a blizcon cast, you know it’s BS from a mile away.

And the following tweet, “Games should be shorter and cost more”

1 Like

HOHOHOHOHOHO

2 Likes

There is a strong indication this was from fear of specific expected protests.

1 Like

This means it’s working right? They’re being denied promotion which means lost dollars.

They’ll make more money in China through Tencent than they ever will in the US.

They won’t lose dollars. They’ll just lose the American audience.

1 Like

I suppose the question then is whether or not the bazillion Chinabux are enough for them to forsake the US audience completely.

BlizzCon will be an interesting turning point on just how much the public sentiment can be seen to impact their business prospects or at least the perception thereof (stock price).

I think we both know the answer to that question.

Tencent could buy them whole if they wanted to. It wouldn’t even be a dent in their profits. They already own Riot, and they probably plan to wholly consume Activision Blizzard.

1 Like

Sadly yes. We really are entering the dark age of games.

Time to just play more smaller indie games and less big China owned publisher titles.

They’re publicly traded. Call into their earnings call and say the magic words?

1 Like