Headphones

One of my projects in college that I’d love to revisit was a set of headphones that would be built tough enough to survive use as tactical shooting earpro, with the sound-blocking ability for such, but also has drivers inside that deliver sound quality that’s at least on par with mid-tier consumer level headphones, and also would have jacks on each cup that would allow installation of an durable microphone. So want to do gaming? These could handle it as well as any other gaming cans with a modmic, maybe better. Want to hook up the boom to a radio for tactical use? Totally able. Need to just answer a call while on a noisy bus? Sure.

Basically in many ways this is something similar to an aviation headset but less specialized in execution. But many of the tech is already out there from Bose, Sennheiser, David Clark, and the like. All it is doing is reworking the shapes and streamlining the presentation so that it would look acceptable on the bus, in the office, in a machine shop, or out in a shooting range.

I would personally use them in the shop instead of my 3M muffs when running the air compressor or CNC router, as currently I put in earbuds and then put muffs over top, but thats ad-hoc as fuck.

I would also use them when on a noisy-ass shuttle van. I’d use them at work when I want to not hear people yelling in their phone becuase they lost their hearing in the shipyard in the 70’s. I would use them on the rare occasion I go to said shipyard now that they enforce earpro use. I would use them if I ever get out to a shooting range. Certainly they’d be useful in an airplane.

It’s been in the back of my mind and I’m starting to learn just enough about how headphones work, and starting to have enough access to high-quality 3D printing equipment via friends of mine that I could maybe develop these for reals.

I suppose if these fabled earpro headphones with not-crap audio existed, the ability to add bluetooth and maybe ANC would not be out of the realm today. I think the key is that they could indeed be rugged: throw them on the ground, drop them in dirt, into a pile of greasey metal shavings or a dusty saw table, (or onto the couch) and they would not break or even seem to mind (unlike some of my Samsung headphones)

Maybe this belongs in shitposts of the day or something but, I’m really into headphones and I see a big need for my use case where I’ve had to collect 4-5 different devices that all mostly do the same thing just without having one set to rule them all.

1 Like

My QC35s are absolutely essential office gear. Between the call center, the sneezy snuffly neighbor, the racist loud conversation neighbor, and the food & eating sounds, I was struggling with serious misophonia rage for the first few weeks.

For home gameplay, I have open air Philips SHP9500. I plug in a vmoda boompro for mic, otherwise a regular line. They were super comfortable, until I got poison ivy on my ear and had to replace the ear pads with a harder inferior pad. I’m rethinking making new ones. While those were out of commission, I mainly used my QC35s, but noticed I get headaches when I use them too long. Also, both closed back and earbuds make my canals too damp after extended use.

2 Likes

Anker is going to make audio products under the brand name of Soundcore. Promising.

I’m interested in this AirPods thing more after having seen some up close, but I have no Apple so Soundcore might be good. Will have to see how the reviews stack for those little guys. I’m picky now.

In other news, I’ve replaced my Samsung LEVEL Overs with Sennheisser HD1 Wireless and can’t really complain. They sound great, feel great, adjust and fold, and they look hella awesome with tan/ivory cups, covered in leather and steel. They get no use at home but otherwise I have them on hand at all times.

I’d say I prefer the sound to what I’ve tested of the Bose and Sony options, but it’s in the range of personal preferences to decide which is the victor there.

At home still running modded Monolith 1060 and no complaints.

Still dreaming of making a set of custom cans for the shop and the streets.

My Anker bluetooth ear buds are of sufficient quality. If they had no cord, they’d be better.

I’m not sure I ever posted the headphone covers I made. These are version 2.

The cushion is some leftover shredded foam from a pillow, stuffed into stockings. The black yarn is elastic to snap over the headphone frame. The part touching my face is made with bamboo yarn (which I have the least skin reaction to, and is remarkably cool). I designed it so that nothing would obstruct the speaker portion; all the mod is circumaural. Overall, while they have a lot of version 2 kinks, and they are HUGE, they are comfortable, light, and sound good.

9 Likes

Would you rather borrow someone headphones or their earbuds?

I would rather not.

3 Likes

Definitely headphones. Easier to give a quick, discreet clean, and plus, after doing radio, and years of sound gigs, I’m kinda used to communal headphones anyway.

1 Like

Earbuds are gross. My apple ones have earwax jammed in them I can’t get out.

1 Like

at least with earphones you can pull off the tips and clean them regularly with rubbing alcohol, you barbarians.

2 Likes

I never thought to do that, I’ve been using soap and water. This is a great idea! Thank you!

I’m putting this in the headphone thread because it is headphone-adjacent.

New work means new work laptop. I went from a Microsoft Surface to a Dell Latitude something something. The audio on this thing SUCKS. It has this Waves MaxxAudio Pro software included. If I disable the software, the sound is too quiet to hear and sounds like crap. If I enable it, then it gets loud, but sounds awful. Just comparing the same song playing on Spotify between laptop and iPhone with the same headphones is night and day. This is a tremendous difference beyond any sort of audiophile nonsense.

The solution seems to be to get a USB DAC/sound card. They make tons of these things these days. They are very useful if, for example, the headphone jack on your laptop breaks, but your USB still works. Also lots of them work with phones. That way you can get a digital audio output from the phone via USB and avoid your phones amp.

The problem is that there are a zillion choices, and I can’t find any reliable non-audiophile info about which ones are good.

In order from least expensive on up.

$7

https://amzn.to/2tqUsDi

$15

https://amzn.to/2lum0o2

$24

https://amzn.to/2MePUaV

$25

https://amzn.to/2tB7i2f

$76

https://amzn.to/2Mi8cYP

$100

https://amzn.to/2lwfFbL

$200

https://amzn.to/2tllHAc

The only thing I was able to determine from my research is that there is no discernible difference between the $100 dragonfly and the $200 one. That’s good because no way in hell I’m buying the $200 one. Of course I’m also extremely reluctant to buy the $100 one.

I would be happy to buy the cheapest one, but how do I know that it’s better than the crap in my laptop? I’m not buying this to fix a broken headphone hole, I’m buying it to get audio that isn’t painfully bad. I’m kind of tempted to buy three or four to actually do a blind test.

Does anyone have a suggestion about which one to get? Alternatively does anyone want one? I could feel good about buying a few to test them all if I knew I was going to resell all but one of them to other people when I’m done.

Consider their budget pick.

Hmm. Right in the middle. Seems reasonable.

I have heard good of the Fiio K1, a friend uses it on his iPhone. I would consider that a worthy option if you don’t give two shits about audiophile flimflammery.

I much prefer the design of it to the Dragonflys, not only due to it being a clean, classy, silver box vs what looks like a shitty plastic thumb drive with a gaudy dragonfly logo printed on the side, but that it is interfaced via USB cable which gives a lot of flexibility and keeps you from having a long hard protrusion out the side or back of the machine.

Still, I would consider the K1 optimal for a smartphone or tablet level dac/amp and I think most of us have no need for that. Im sure it will probably do what you need to improve the onboard sound without much fuss, but I don’t know how powerful or good it actually gets beyond that.

If I were getting a DAC/AMP strictly for a laptop, I’d skip the Fiio E10 and step up to the Fiio Q1 which has a more streamlined setup and seems ideal for throwing into a bag for mobile use.

If i was in reality mostly going to keep it at a office desk and not use it in the wild id actually also look at the Schiit Fulla 2 at $99. I have the Schitt Stack and enjoy it for my desktop and this seems like a very good, well reviewed little semi-portable dac/amp with some high end features and a beefy little vol knob. Doesn’t seem as suited to throwing in a bag, and if you have lower powered USB ports it needs 2 of them, but it’s a good looking, ‘made in the USA’ option with a funny name and a good following.

At least my ancient Lenovo laptop has excellent audio quality from its embedded jack.

The self awareness of the Fulla Schiit makes me want to buy it, but the two USB ports thing is a deal breaker. The FiiO Q1 does look great, but it doesn’t seem to be a PC thing. It seems to mostly be targeted as a mobile amp. One review even said the PC drivers were malware.

Upon seeing it, however, I now definitely want to get something with at least a volume knob on it. I heard some reports about the Dragonfly that they are too loud.

Are there any out there that support TRRS so I can use the microphone and volume buttons on the headphone cable with the PC just like I do with iOS?

Looking more at the Fulla 2, it seems in most cases only the single USB is required for normal use.

The only time you’d use a second USB is apparently if your devices aren’t putting out enough power which in this review suggests is when your device is loaded up with various peripherals. I’m guessing in that rare case you could run the device off a USB wall wort? But it seems these guys are running them single-cable off a MacBook without issue, so might be worth considering again.

Also it looks like the Fulla has a smaller footprint but is more bulky than the Q1. It’s so hard to tell with pictures online tho.

If you are looking for the best DAC ever try these guys.

https://mayflowerelectronics.com/

1 Like