GeekNights Wednesday - Netflix Castlevania

Tonight on GeekNights, we review the 2017 Netflix Castlevania animated series. In the news, after Rym buys some new sandals, Ready Player One is...., Karen Berger launches a line of comics, United made up some nonsense around SDCC, and Castlevania Producer Adi Shankar gave an interesting interview.

Scott's Youtube
Rym's Youtube

GeekNights on Patreon

Things of the Day

Episode Links

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBs2ZF2D6T0

I have been on the wrong end of the TSA screening where thick stacks of paper are concerned. I went to PAX and bought a bunch of deckbuilding card games and had them in my carry on. They pulled my bag for extra screening and I was really wondering why but I got a glimpse of the x-ray pic and well, with a bunch of wires from my headphones and chargers plus two foot long dense bricks it honestly did look a lot like a bomb.

My only experience with Castlevanias is watching them Done Quick. In my mind they’re JoJo the game.

Wait a minute -
Castlevania: September 26, 1986
JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: January 1, 1987

What was going on those 3 months?

I don’t understand why people say this show looks like anime. It looks like Korean animation done for Americans(because it is) just like any DC animated movie.

Really? These are the top google image hits for “anime” and “netflix castlevania”:

2 out of 3 are doing the same pose!

I don’t know how exactly to describe it, maybe it’s in the way the characters move, but the second I saw it, I thought it was Korean animation.

Is this the best video game adaptation ever?

It’s a low bar, admittedly.

By video game adaptation you mean an appearance of an intellectual property in another medium that was first used in the video game medium?

The answer is Pokemon.

Yeah. The TV series? I thought all the movies were supposed to be… Not good.

The TV isn’t bad, depending on what season it is, but the manga is the best.

Pokémon Adventures, originally released in Japan as Pocket Monsters Special (Japanese: ポケットモンスター SPECIAL Hepburn: Poketto Monsutā Supesharu), is a Pokémon-related manga based on the video games. Satoshi Tajiri once stated that the Pocket Monsters Special series is closest to what he imagined the Pokémon world to be: “This is the comic that most resembles the world I was trying to convey.”[1] (僕が伝えたかった世界に最も近い漫画です。 Boku ga tsutaetakatta sekai ni mottomo chikai manga desu.)

My roommate and I have been re-watching the Pokemon movies, most of which we have not seen since we were kids. They aren’t the best, but they also aren’t the worst and actually have some really beautiful animation at points, especially after the first couple films.

A lot of those kinds of movies (DBZ, PKMN, One Piece, Naruto, etc) have great animation because they just throw people at it and whatever they spend they’ll make back, so they can spend a little extra doing good animation.

Super far after the fact but I have a friend who is working on the next season and a lot of it is in fact done in Korea with the US team doing cleanup.

2 Likes

I’ll watch it, the first one was alright enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbb8zPQBmOw

Also, interestingly, Viz Media has licensed the series.

1 Like

If one were to play one Castlevania game, which should it be?

For just one, it would have to be Symphony of the Night. It’s basically genre defining work and well worth experiencing.

1 Like