GeekNights Tuesday - Roguelikes

Tonight on GeekNights, we consider the humble roguelike. It's a genre that has evolved and been re-imagined over generations of games, far beyond what the Berlin Interpretation might imply. From FTL to Rogue Legacy, Dragon Crystal to... well... Rogue!

In the news, The Escapist is returning, a multi-layered scam game was finally removed from Steam, it might not be too late to try something interesting at Gen Con, Parsely will be at Gen Con, and the GeekNights Book Club's next book will be 2001: A Space Odyssey

Things of the Day

Episode Links

Our auto-post after last night’s episode didn’t work. So for your discussion:

Tonight on GeekNights, we consider the humble roguelike. It’s a genre that has evolved and been re-imagined over generations of games, far beyond what the Berlin Interpretation might imply. From FTL to Rogue Legacy, Dragon Crystal to… well… Rogue!

In the news, The Escapist is returning, a multi-layered scam game was finally removed from Steam, it might not be too late to try something interesting at Gen Con, Parsely will be at Gen Con, and the GeekNights Book Club’s next book will be 2001: A Space Odyssey

http://frontrowcrew.com/geeknights/20180731/rouguelikes/

Speaking of “when to leave a Mets game”

If you followed the advice of the article, the game was over after the first inning with a high degree of certainty. :wink:

But a record breaking game is worth seeing, even if it’s the opposite record you want!

2 Likes

I just rewatched the 2001 in 70mm. I can reread the book, too.

That is true. I’d love to see a “chance this game will be legendary” metric.

Do you really agree with that? Would 26-0 have been as awesome had you attended Neumann?

I’d rather go to a game where we lose by 100 than a game where we lose by like, 5.

Yes.

When the Detroit Lions were going winless, I was rooting for it to happen in the final games. A season that ends in a terrifying “record” makes the history books and is fascinating to behold. If they’d won even one game, it would have just been another terrible season.

Winning by any amount is great.
Losing by a little is great (close game).
Losing by a LOT is great (wtf just happened?)

Losing by a normal amount is the saddest outcome.

I always play Picross while listening to GeekNights :joy:

Just play the Picross and turn off the GeekNights.

1 Like

OK Sad Piro.images

Hearing about Picross in this episode has caused that clock to ring again. Which is the correct Picross to get nowadays?

On the Switch: the Picross S games.

On the 3DS: the Picross E games.

2 Likes

Somewhere, in the infinite multiverse, there’s a Japanese girl who likes to draw sad Piros in standing in the snow.

MovieBob has posted an update on the Escapist’s return, where he details the panel they recently held at PAX West.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBOaeO_RSiE

If they make a sequel to Into the Breach they should call it Once More.

1 Like

Russ Pitts has left the Escapist.

Probably for the best.

I’ve worked with him, and I’ve always had a great deal of trust and respect for him. His actions here have made me question that trust.

1 Like

https://www.armouredcommander.com/blog/armoured-commander-i/