GeekNights Tuesday - PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (PUBG)

From what I can tell, it’s a baby game, so no.

I want what I’ve always wanted, and that is Tribes 2.

1 Like

Literally everything you are asking for is in Fortnite. The baby game aspects are mostly the cartoony art style and the fact that because it’s free and has very low resource requirements mean every 12 year old with an XBox or access to their parents’ PC can play it.

All I’m asking for is exactly PUBG, but with weapons that work like Counter-Strike. Doesn’t Fortnite have all kinds of extra ridiculous stuff like building structures and shit?

Yeah it does, you can build forts and stuff. But here’s the thing about hitscan guns in something with the scale and gameplay flow of PUBG. If everything is hitscan, someone can shoot you in the face from 1000m away (the player render distance) with a 9mm pistol and kill you. Do you think that’s fair or fun?

Yeah, hitscan works well in CS, but CS almost entirely takes places in ranges that are, in PUBG, practically melee range. Even if they wern’t hitscan, you wouldn’t notice the difference. But the reverse would be a HUGE difference.

People already kill me with a sniper rifle at 1000m, so what’s the difference? Doesn’t matter to me how hard it was for them to do it or what gun they used?

You are also assuming no other game changes to accommodate. I would reduce weapon damage over distance. Also, there is still some random bullet scattering. There are other options besides making players adjust their sites, hold their breath, and other nonsense.

If you’re right about that (no reason to suspect you’re not) then I think it’d be entertaining to give Scott exactly what he wants, and livestream his death montage via pistol headshot at 1000m

Most “long range” kills with sniper rifles are at 2-300m max in PUBG, and you don’t even have to adjust sights with 3x and up scopes, they have ranged reticles. Crosshair center is 100m, next hatch down is 200m, 300m, etc. If they have even a guess at your range they can make good shots easily.

I didn’t know how to read the reticle until just now, and also I have no idea how to guess range. Why not include a rangefinder?

You’re basically talking about lowering the skill floor dramatically for the thing that annoys you, I’d say that it would rapidly come to matter to you.

There’s two ways. You can guess based on the size of a terrain object compared to how big it is compared to the features in your scope, or you can look at your map.

The map is the easiest method - Each yellow square is a 1000m a side, each white square is 100m a side. Pick a terrain feature, find it on the map from your current point, you have your range. If you’re looking at your minimap, your minimap is 400 across the top, and from your icon at the center to any side is 200m, which is handy for quick estimation.

Most of them do! This is the one big issue I have with PUBG is they don’t tell you how the sights work, and you would have no idea unless you looked it up. So take the 2x scope. Another player standing up will fit top to bottom in the circle around the dot at 100m, which is about the range you would use a 2x. On a 4x scope each horizontal part of the reticle cross is the width of a player’s shoulders at that range. 6x and the VSS you have to use the rangefinder in the scope. I attached a pic of how that works. The 8x and 15x I am not sure if they have rangefinders since I don’t use them much, but they are much less common anyway.

It’s not necessarily lowering the skill cap, it’s just testing a different skill. You will still have to click quickly and precisely. You just won’t have to have any knowledge of real world weaponry.

How the hell do you even know this?

I didn’t say cap. I said floor. I mean that it will make it much easier to do, because you’re removing 90% of what you are required to do to perform the action successfully. Was that the wrong terminology? I’m not as good at the jargon, I forget the terms too easily.

Well, we know the map is 8kmX8km, that’s in the marketing materiel, it’s one of their bullet point features. There’s eight yellow squares a side, so they must be 1000m a side. In each yellow box, there’s ten white boxes a side, so they must be 100m a side.

But me personally, well, someone told me, much like I’m telling you, and when I looked at the map and judged it off with a rifle scope one game, it was reasonably accurate.

Oh, you’re right. It’s just rare that anyone talks about skill floors. There are lots of debates about skill caps usually. Some people who want competitive games want them to be high, or infinite. Other people want them to be low to level the playing field and make a game less competitive and more fun for all.

The reason nobody talks about skill floors is because when making a game you want to sell and have people enjoy, it’s somewhat universally accepted you want a skill floor to be zero. Anything above zero means the game is, to some degree, inaccessible. That’s only really acceptable if your game is niche and you don’t care.

To me this is much more an issue of documentation. If they TOLD you how the sights worked and explained about grid squares, you wouldn’t have to be into shooting and militaria to even know to ask the question.

They also don’t have to make the scope look and work like a real world scope. They can change the design of the scope itself to make it self explanatory, or even be automatic. Then no documentation would be needed.

A game you can learn just by playing is way better than a game with a crazy rulebook and lots of text to study.

Mega Man! Mega Man!

1 Like

OH! I almost forgot, buildings are REALLY good for judging distances, because not only do they show up on the map, they’re also consistently sized. A door is a door is a door, a window is always X size, the floors are always the same height. Once you get used to that size, you can judge distance really quickly, especially with a scope.

I don’t know how you didn’t see the gun silhouette, Scott.

I am not a military or gun fanboy and I picked up fairly quickly to learn what the guns were and what ammo they used.

But you do get better as you play, knowing that stuff doesn’t make you automatically good at using it. I still can’t hit shit beyond 300m or so even with the best scope, and I’ve played nearly 900 hours. Incidentally 300m is considered very long range for infantry combat with personal weapons IRL, past that you either need exceptional training and skill or long range ordinance, and it seems about the same in PUBG.

1 Like

Word. I know what I should be doing in a close-range fight, but I’m still super bad. And while other folk in anteater knew what they should be doing at long-range, I was still one of the best if not the best long-range shooter in the group.

I recall one occasion, we were coming down off “Stab City” (Stalber), and someone saw a guy in the distance down the hill, about 500m. The call went around, other folk asked what we were going to do, and we were going to leave him alone unless he came up the hill at us. Then I saw him going for a Jeep, so I shot him dead with the KAR I picked up in the ruins, without a scope to use, at a range everyone else thought it was pointless to engage him. Bang, zoom, right through the scone.