GeekNights Tuesday - Dream Daddy

Tonight on GeekNights, we review the hit new visual novel Dream Daddy: A Dad Dating Simulator. It's pretty great. You both are a dad, and you can date dads. Dads all the way down.

In the news, e-sports are getting serious treatment at MSG, Hearthstone is pushing the limits of card game mechanics, GameStop still exists, a gamer cruise fails, PUBG angers fans with early cosmetic loot crates, and Samus Returns brings a dark new pact with Amiibos.

Scott's Youtube
Rym's Youtube

GeekNights on Patreon

Things of the Day

Episode Links

Some livestreaming of me playing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh53p94lC1Q

Live stream of the recording session:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL6ucqPfZwg

Here is another failed con sorry to add to the pile.

I’ve been trying to figure out what hand Game Grumps actually had in the creation of this game.

Same. All I know about them is that they are Internet famous gamery shouty people. I don’t know any of them, and I don’t know any of their content. But if they had a big hand in making Dream Daddy, they done good.

Apparently, the Game Grumps creative director guy, Vernon, was the co-creator/co-writer along with Leighton Gray. They also contributed office space for the programmers and artists, along with providing financial support. Also, a bunch of the Game Grumps channel people contributed VO.

Only thing I know about game grumps is that I hear about them enough that they must be popular. I didn’t even know who markiplier was until the whole pewdiepie nonsense a while back. So it takes a bit for me to hear about you through the grapevine. I’ve heard about them through the grapevine.

I found out about markiplier by being mauled by an angry mob of fans in PAX East. Their fervor is both terrifying and impressive.

I’d let some YouTube run long once and it started delving into Markiplier from whatever I was on. I just remembered the name but didn’t realize whether or not he was a “big name”. Then I started hearing about him more so I just assumed he was somewhat well known in the LP community or something. I had a stint of watching Game Grumps but after a couple weeks sorta petered out on it. I still occasionally watch some of their animated shorts (animated by others with sound bites from an episode) but I haven’t kept up on them for a while. I think originally I found them because I wanted to watch a playthrough of King’s Quest VI and they happened to have done one that was popular.

One of the Game Grumps is Egoraptor/Arin, who you know from the “Mega Man! Mega Man!” breakdown of Mega Man X.

1 Like

Speaking of another failed convention…

GeekGirlCon appears to have collapsed.

Aw man I heard good things about that one. Sad day.

Apparently Dream Daddy has some secret assets buried in the code that may or may not be accessible in game at the moment, and it points to some shady goings-on with priest dad and his family.

https://medium.com/@throwaway777666/somethings-really-wrong-with-the-dad-dating-sim-you-guys-bf1295bf1db0

From level18 game file

Well, hi. My name is Joseph. I have an alcoholic whore wife, whose life I destroyed.

Nothing’s a coincidence, idiot. No town in America has such a concentration of eligible, willing Dads

{$PlayerFirstName}, ever wonder where all the wives and husbands in town went? Why everyone’s an eligible single father?

Because of me. Because of my work. Because of my loyalty.

I am the conduit for something beautiful, {$PlayerFirstName}. Something pure. And you have the honor of being part of it.

And I will fuck each Dad whose life I destroy until the shame and stink of their failures has returned our eternal king to life. The fuel of a hundred thousand rank darknesses of the soul.

And all to get these very good friends of ours here, in my town, and my father’s town, and his father before him. Hurting for human touch. Praying for the salvation of kindness.

I told you, I’m a cool youth minister. Have you seen my tattoos? Were you even watching me tear it up on the dance floor?

this thing in my pocket. The pocket knife that Robert gave me. If I have to defend myself, this is all I have.

Mary finishes untying me and disappears.

And down to pound, if you catch my meaning. I had a whale of a time last night.

Get it? Whale? We talked extensively about whales last night? You don’t really like them?

I’m very perceptive. A good listener. I heard all those impure thoughts, {$PlayerFirstName}, and about a married man, no less.

My kids? Those aren’t my kids.

Well, they are my kids. In a way. Cosmically. I guess you could call them vessels.

And in that case I guess that technically makes me not a Dad. Woops. Sorry to kill that little fantasy for you.

The safe word is Jimmy Buffett.

Joseph, this is insane. So the whole minister thing… that’s just a front for this weird sex dun-

Oh, that’s so cute. You think this is a sex thing.

I mean, it’s kind of a sex thing.

This body is but a conduit, Mary! I’ll see you in your nightmares!

I don’t know if this text is ACTUALLY part of the game, but if it somehow is, holy shit.

I mean, I guessed that kind of thing from the first frame in which he appeared.

If they really wanted to be cool, they should have made him really just be a youth minister. Then have your best friend sports dad be the demon summoner.

Undertale had a character who doesn’t actually exist in the game, but is in the code. Sort of a built-in secret creepypasta for people who might inspect the game.

I wouldn’t put it past Dream Daddy to have similar cool nonsense that was never intended to be in the game or else was left there intentionally.