GeekNights Thursday - Natural Disasters

fears that the more than 10,000 tremors recorded since last Saturday could trigger a volcanic eruption

Is this the right way around? I would guess the earthquakes are a symptom of the impending eruption, not the cause.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-08-09/worst-seoul-storm-in-80-years-kills-seven-floods-capital

Floods, droughts, wildfires.

How much time…

Not quite a disaster, but this is disastrous.

There’s a thread from someone in France, the entire tweet thread is in french, get your google translate ready, https://twitter.com/EnergieDevlpmt/status/1557639779621249025

To summarize:
This is apparently a dead arms of those rivers, and have gone dry previously.
The currently levels are seriously low, close to but not historically low which usually hits around September.
Levels have gotten this low on a decade sort of frequency

Serious and concerning but not as insane as the images make you feel it is

3 Likes

Even if this particular example isn’t indicative, there’s more evidence to show how fucked things are.

Given the fact that we had decades of foreknowledge and still haven’t changed anything significantly globally (especially when it takes decades for those changes to take effect), all of these global events should be a scream into everyone’s minds that we should be taking drastic action. Especially if you’re in government.

Every day that we’re not doing something, more lives are being cut short.

Still waiting for it to rain…in England!

The thing about natural disasters in the age of social media is that you watch horrible events unfold on twitter until you’re the one holding the camera.

2 Likes

The alarm is getting louder every day.

I know vertical video has long been a scourge since smartphones arrived, but come on people!! Especially if you are recording a river that is flowing, turn your damn phone!! Amazing that so many of these flooding river videos and other natural disaster videos are vertical. Better for Snapchat/IG Stories/Tik Tok I guess.

It still amazes me that phones aren’t designed to record horizontal video when situated vertically.

1. Yes they absolutely should.
  2. How would you engineer this? You still want to support vertical photos.

Crop the file in post? LOL
Cross-shaped sensor? Strange but interesting.
Two separate cameras? I guess modern phones already have a bunch but seems wasteful.
Moving parts to physically rotate the sensor? (Has to be no way)
There’s definitely other creative ways. What else we got?