GeekNights Monday - USB-C

2 Likes

I don’t know if Rym is really fast at Neuroshima Hex or really slow at pooping, but 4 games seems like a lot.

Taking a perfectly optimal turn in that game takes ~4-10 seconds on average. There isn’t a lot of thinking to do most turns once you get good.

What USB-C hub did Scott get that is around $20 and reliable? The best price I’ve found for one that even seems reliable is $50, barring a discount. I tried a couple $20 ones, one with weird defects and the other just flat out didn’t work.

I didn’t get a hub. I got a USB-C → HDMI adapter that works perfectly with both Switch and iPad Pro.

https://amzn.to/2YX4U38

I also got this which works with everything I’ve ever tried to connect it to. Haven’t tried Switch, though.

https://amzn.to/2Tl6QSc

1 Like

USB4 will use the same form factor as USB type-C and will be backward compatible with USB 3.2, USB 2.0, and Thunderbolt 3.

2 Likes

hey anyone got a solid USB-C charger recommendation? The one that came with my pixel 3 lives at work and the current 3rd party one I emergency bought at a target one day when I needed phone charge and was 0 battery is pretty mediocre. Longer cable preferred as these would be used for charging from an outlet/extension while on the couch and in bed.

Anker

1 Like

I played around with some Thunderbolt 3 hardware—that’s a USB-C connector with what’s basically the USB4 spec.

There was nothing too fancy going on, but the fact I could plug a single Thunderbolt cable into a MacBook Pro and get an additional display, power, and ethernet is pretty slick. The display acts as a hub, and ethernet (via rj45-to-USB-C) was one of the things plugged into it.

I did pick up some nice USB-C to USB-C Anker Chargers that work great, thanks for the recommendation @Apreche

I’m debating getting a Thunderbolt 3 dock for my laptop, but my laptop doesn’t do USB-C PD; is that going to affect anything? MIt seems like every dock I come across has USB-C PD.

How does it get power, some other connector (perhaps proprietary)?

I feel like the spec is moving pretty quickly. If it’s not useful to you immediately, I wouldn’t get it. Don’t buy in anticipation of your next upgrade, wait until you upgrade.

USB-C! USB-C!

5 Likes

The immediate announcement, Apple going all wireless charging on all devices.

EU announces all devices require wires for wireless charging.

A good example of a Europe mandated single connector:

2 Likes

This is one of those examples of the notion that, if you use regulation to suppress the worst instincts of letting the market decide stuff, you get better stuff.

It works sometimes.

Dear USB Consortium,

Please get better at naming shit, for god’s sake.

Sincerely,

The World.