GeekNights Monday - Scott's Crashy Computer

Nah, my HTPC is very new and godlike.

But getting a budget AMD GPU for it is not the worst idea if any are available.

Did you start The Odyssey?

Yes, but not much. Iā€™ve got too much going on right now. I am trying to finish buying new furniture for the living room. Then I have to start planning for Essen.

Ya know what. Thatā€™s not the worst idea for a stream Iā€™ve ever heard. I actually may watch that. Itā€™s been a few years since I did a build and just watching one from start to finish may, just may, make me feel like Iā€™ve done one recently.

Who are you and what have you done with Scott?

Itā€™s an HTPC, a cheapo GPU doesnā€™t matter. It just has to be significantly better than the integrated one.

I know. I was just messing. Just like the top of the thread, I donā€™t actually think you broke it on purpose because you wanted a new one.

Fifteen characters of FTFY

4 Likes

I donā€™t actually want a new one, but I do want to be able to sit at the computer and use it and have it be as stable as this iPad I am using right now.

If i was building an HTPC now im liking what i see on these new AMD Ryzen APUs. Certainly enough juice for streaming and playback of media content, and even basic gaming, and no need to allocate room to slot in a GPU, i dont see how it can go wrong?

Overpriced DDR4 still makes me cringe right now.

I was reading that the RAM shortage is actually hurting the video card shortage more than a lack of GPUs. I think ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, etc. are sitting there with 1080s, but no video RAM.

FedEx says all my computer bits will be here tonight. If they come through, I will stream the build on YouTube.

I have taken ownership of Scottā€™s crashy computer and discovered the issue. Those of you that said bad RAM are the winners. It would pass the bootable RAM tests, but if I loaded it something more memory intensive like Prime95 it would fail immediately. So this should be DDR3 running at 1600MHz. It doesnā€™t like that, I turned it down all the way to 800MHz to make it stable. Thereā€™s probably just one DIMM thatā€™s bad and making it unstable, but Iā€™d rather just keep the RAM as a 32GB set working slowly. Iā€™m putting ESXi on the machine and 32GB is conveniently the limit of the free license.

5 Likes

But how do you intentionally break RAM, of all the things?

Scott is a master of computers, Iā€™m sure he has his ways.

1 Like

My old AMD k7ā€™s motherboard died due to the capacitor plague, but there is a chance I exacerbated the problem by stressing the computer with some heavy-handed overclocking.

Not sure how people here feel about Massdrop, but they have an MSI Geforce GTX 1080 for $699 now: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/msi-geforce-gtx-1080-gaming-x-8g?utm_placement=0&referer=PSPE3H&mode=guest_open&utm_campaign=Automated%20Daily%20Promotional%202018-03-23&utm_source=SparkPost&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Daily%20Promotional&utm_content=1521797294146.118207170188110005660250

Thatā€™s still too expensive.

Thanks to George I have learned that motherboards are not good at figuring out RAM timings automatically. I typically leave most settings in my UEFI/BIOS on auto or default, especially the ones in the overclocking menu. However, I went and checked. Even on my brand new PC, the timings it had set did not match what was on the spec page for my RAM on Newegg.

I also learned all about XMP, so I loaded that up, and all the timings are now correct.

1 Like

700 isnā€™t far off from what I paid for a 1080 around last New yearā€™s. I think it was the 650 range. At these price points itā€™s almost mootif supply is limited. Still expensive tho.