GeekNights Monday - Scott's Crashy Computer

Nah, my HTPC is very new and godlike.

But getting a budget AMD GPU for it is not the worst idea if any are available.

Did you start The Odyssey?

Yes, but not much. I’ve got too much going on right now. I am trying to finish buying new furniture for the living room. Then I have to start planning for Essen.

Ya know what. That’s not the worst idea for a stream I’ve ever heard. I actually may watch that. It’s been a few years since I did a build and just watching one from start to finish may, just may, make me feel like I’ve done one recently.

Who are you and what have you done with Scott?

It’s an HTPC, a cheapo GPU doesn’t matter. It just has to be significantly better than the integrated one.

I know. I was just messing. Just like the top of the thread, I don’t actually think you broke it on purpose because you wanted a new one.

Fifteen characters of FTFY

I don’t actually want a new one, but I do want to be able to sit at the computer and use it and have it be as stable as this iPad I am using right now.

If i was building an HTPC now im liking what i see on these new AMD Ryzen APUs. Certainly enough juice for streaming and playback of media content, and even basic gaming, and no need to allocate room to slot in a GPU, i dont see how it can go wrong?

Overpriced DDR4 still makes me cringe right now.

I was reading that the RAM shortage is actually hurting the video card shortage more than a lack of GPUs. I think ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, etc. are sitting there with 1080s, but no video RAM.

FedEx says all my computer bits will be here tonight. If they come through, I will stream the build on YouTube.