GeekNights Monday - IME, Intel, and You

The sell was shortly after it was discovered, but a while before it was released. For what it’s worth I think an internal investigation said he didn’t know about the breach at the time.

Agreed, the CPUs are really the point right now. Anyone got the scoop on the Ryzen CPUs? I’ve expressed my distrust of AMD before but I’ve been hearing good things about the new stuff. Even though I’m not in a position to get something new I’m curious about alternatives when the time comes.

Apparrently, they’re VERY competitive with the best Intel has to offer right now. They still suffer in some tasks, but they’ll punch their weight with the best of them. But, they do run hotter, and need a little more power.

I think the new AMD stuff is supposed to be launching in a few months so I’d wait to see the performance on those.

I do not think the Ryzen is very competitive. If you have money and are building a PC today, what chip are you actually buying?

If you go Intel, it’s an 8700K. If you go AMD It’s a Ryzen 7 1800X.

The Ryzen costs the same and is 19% slower.

Even if you go all out on AMD and get the Threadripper 1950X for over twice the price.

The 8700K is still 3% faster.

I can not call this very competitive or even barely competitive. I think at best it can be called a functioning alternative. If you are an AMD fanboy, it will get you a working computer that is fast enough to do things.

With the slowdown introduced by this patch, we shall see what happens. I think the pre-patch benchmarks have to be invalidated and re-rerun.

Drama: https://www.techpowerup.com/240187/amd-struggles-to-be-excluded-from-unwarranted-intel-vt-flaw-kernel-patches

If AMD gets slowed down arbitrarily that would be kinda dumb.

Personally I’m more looking at ~$200 processors typically and there’s also a bit of a price difference between the motherboards to run coffee lake and zen that should be factored in for comparison. Zen runs on like three varieties of motherboard, while the intel option created a new board type for it that at least at release was a significant price hike for the same features.

Honestly at this stage I’d encourage people to wait for the next gen of either anyway unless you actually have a need.

I don’t think it’s really an issue for the Kernel to exclude AMD or not. Nobody is using AMD on servers. Desktop distros already patch their kernels. It’s open source. I’m sure Ubuntu and such will deliver a kernel that excludes AMD.

For some value of nobody. Also my understanding is you’ll be able to disable this “patch” with a flag that can be set to yes/no/auto, so if you have a “safe” environment you might just disable the slowdown.

I beg to differ, I know of a company that you also know of who had their entire infrastructure team taken to a rangers game in the VIP box courtesy of AMD because they ordered x-hundred or maybe thousand AMD processors for their enterprise servers.

The story my boss tells me is that at said rangers game the announcer came on and said they had a very special guest and then a spotlight went to the neighboring vip box to reveal The Great One. They pounded and pounded on the wall yelling WAYNE GRETZKY (there’s apparently doors between the vip boxes and it was locked). He did not grace them with his presence.

I don’t work there and have no loyalty to them so if ya wanna know who does this I can pm it to ya.

Oh, you’re right. I didn’t keep up with Intel’s latest chips and what they were benchmarking at. I kinda forgot they released that chip a few months ago, I was remembering the benchmarks from when Ryzen first released, and promptly forgot about everything else they were doing after. I kinda forget about these things for the most part, unless I’m in the market for one, good memory keeping up with the Intel clock speeds. Certainly more dedicated to keeping up to date than I am.

Intel is going to fight tooth and nail to get Microsoft to force it on both chips. A 30% reduction in baseline Intel can deal with, but if only Intel is hit then that puts AMD ahead by default. The other thing I’m wondering is, if this has been how the chips have worked for the past decade, I doubt the newest models are exempt. How long will it take for them to retool what is in development to eliminate the flaw? They can’t just halt production of the current generation (or can they?) and just not produce chips for a year or more.

That’s an interesting question. Obviously you can’t “fix it in hardware” that you’ve already produced. But how far back in the process do you have to go to make a change like that? Foundry production and silicon? Prototyping? I’m not educated on all that. Also is Intel still doing the tic toc thing? My expectation though would be that the next gen will fix the flaw and turn it into marketing speak.

According to Wikipedia they are on track for tick tock through 5nm processes.

So continue to make the chips flaw and all and just let the end user eat the performance hit until it’s fixed the 7 or 5nm products?

The more I think about this the more of a mess I realize the situation is. Depending on how much of a performance hit Linux takes, the entire world’s collective processing power has dipped, and legacy systems that can’t/don’t run Windows 10 have one more vulnerability to exploit. This systems won’t be fully replaced for a decade or more.

There’s probably like, one engineer out there responsible for this bug. Imagine how they feel.

Also, imagine how much extra electricity is going to be used because of this one mistake.

Nah, it’s never on one person. Code reviewers? QA team?

Dat ass

They tryin’ to cover it.

1 Like

So how much of that is lies and how much is damn lies?

¯_(ツ)/¯ ¯_(ツ)/¯ ¯_(ツ)_/¯

You dropped these \ \ \
</smug-asshole>

They’re there. The forum is not displaying them for some reason.