GeekNights Monday - Headphones

House of Marley headphones come in wired and wireless for most styles, and they are literally the longest-lasting earphones I’ve ever had, with great sound quality. They’re not exactly reference quality, but they still sound fucking good with pretty reasonable isolation, braided cable, good strong jacks with decent strain-relief, decent quality microphone for calls. Plus, they also look really fucking nice, lots of anodized metal and wood, high quality cloth with nice patterns.

I have a pair that I bought at PAX 2016 after a previous pair of headphones broke, they lasted until PAX 2017 where I THOUGHT I lost them, found them again buried in a weird little hole in the lining in my daybag. They still work after daily use for that entire year-long period, which included hazards like being exposed to welding and grinding spark, my dog jumping all over me and often yanking them out of my ears and/or phone, and on at least one occasion, getting sucked into a drill chuck and spun around at a few hundred RPM, and they still work PERFECTLY.

Oooh, nice cables. And they’re so cheap. Might as well.

Between myself, my sister, and my step-brothers and sisters, We’ve got both wireless and wired headphones, earbuds, even the home speakers, never had a problem with a single one of them. Definitely worth giving them a go for the price.

The Wirecutter was unimpressed by Marley’s sound.

Not much I can say to that, really. My experience was different, don’t know what to tell you. I didn’t assemble a panel of experts, I just like how they sound, and I like that I don’t have to replace them every six weeks to six months.

Seriously, just get the Shure SE215 if you’re OK with 1/8" cabled earbuds. I love mine.

https://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE215-K-Isolating-Earphones-MicroDriver/dp/B004PNZFZ8/ref=sr_ph_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1523397369&sr=sr-1&keywords=shure+se215

Pretty sure Shure has wireless options as well. I just didn’t care.

1 Like

We’ll see how the cheap ones are. Also, Apple is going to repair the BeatsX.

I had an issue with my BeatsX and they just replaced them in store. Great service… and I got another “3 months free Apple Music” voucher to use!

Yeah, I really like the SE215 as well.

How well do those isolate with the single instead of triple ear poker?

The isolation with the single is fine for planes and subway. I started using them for comfort over the triples. But, I do have triples as well.

The Marleys are cheap, that’s good. They wouldn’t go in my ear with the large tips, so I switched to the small. Now they are actually more comfortable in the ear than the beats. They sound about the same as the beats do. the drivers look really similar too. The braided cable is really nice. The controls only have one button, no volume up/down, but I have an Apple Watch. I still have to test the isolation capabilities on the subway tomorrow. Also, they don’t have any sort of carrying case or protective pouch, so their durability will definitely be tested thoroughly.

The beats are going back to Apple for service.

Shit, I didn’t think about that. I just go volume up or down through my pocket by feel, I forgot to mention the single control. Sorry mate, I know it’s not a big issue, but I should have mentioned it.

In the fail thread, headphones were mentioned and I thought I should mention.

I got those Shure SE 215 bluetooths and I’ve had them for months at this point.

I have some observations:

Bluetooth is not as reliable as we’d all like to believe. Every now and again for like no reason it just starts skipping. Maybe the reciever is getting covered by fabric or perhaps ditto for the transmitter. This happens more often when I’m walking so maybe that weighs into it, not sure. It lasts maybe 10-30 seconds where it just cuts between perfect audio and silence. It happens maybe once a week. It’s not been bad enough for me to turn them into wired but it’s testing my patience.

Other than that small quibble, these are some of the best headphones I’ve ever owned. The seal is tight. I can only get the earbuds off with the assist of a cloth so they never come out on accident. The battery life is great, the buttons are responsive. And I like having the option of saying fuck it to the bluetooth option.

I may grab the cable and just keep it in my bag for the odd time the things run out of battery and I still wanna listen to stuff. I never thought I’d make the jump and while all the things I was worried about are true. It’s not been bad enough to stop using it.

Obligatory

I had the same problem with Shure Bluetooth headphones. The problem never happened with BeatsX headphones, those had other problems. Also never happened with Bose. The point is that not Bluetooth’s fault, it’s Shure’s fault. Other Bluetooth headphones do not have this problem.

IDK, I have the same problem with several (admittedly off-brand) headphones. Oddly, it seems to be location-related; it always happens when crossing Dartmouth street in front of Back Bay Station and walking from the security gate to the elevators in my office.

Yes! When crossing the intersection outside my office it always happens.

Wierd, it seems to happen between my house and the train like a block away. So just that block is the problem.

I’m using a logitech g935 at the moment. Seems to work fine, except that it occasionally needs software updates…

For walking around right now I have

https://amzn.to/32jQay3

At my desk at work I have

https://amzn.to/2MHmvs4

And at my desk at home I have

https://amzn.to/33zqQ7q

I also have some backups.

I really love etymotic the most, but after all these years I just couldn’t put up with the wires breaking anymore.