Games You are Currently Playing

Unfortunately no. The right stick is to roll and dodge. You still have to use the buttons to attack.

Roll and dodge on diablo 3? Wellā€¦ specific spellsā€¦ but you donā€™t even have to have them equipped and they work like any other spell?

Yes, the default is that right stick is used for dodging, and itā€™s super useful at that. You do use buttons to attack, but for everything Iā€™ve done so far, you can just hold the button down for repeat attacks, so you donā€™t have to mash unless you want to (or if youā€™re into stutter stepping).

1 Like

So what is a dodge exactly?

I only have experience with the demon hunter so far, but to dodge you move the right stick and you roll in that direction. Other classes might do other forms of dodge. The demon hunter has a similar move, Vault, and the dodge is basically a weaker version of that since it doesnā€™t cost anything to use.

I mostly use the dodge only to reposition a little bit, it doesnā€™t do that well at getting out of situations since you canā€™t roll through enemies (while Vault does) and enemies are quick to catch up after a roll.

1 Like

I played as both the demon hunter and the barbarian, and the right analog stick functions pretty much the same for both characters, so Iā€™m assuming it does the same for all of them.

After moving Iā€™m finally able to pick up our campaign of Pandemic Legacy again. No Spoilers, but we advanced into April today, and well, yeah. The funny thing is that we almost won that game too, but got unlucky on the distribution of the cards for the last cure and would have won with another turn.

1 Like

If anyone is interested, the beta for Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Champions is still open and accepting applications:

https://www.warhammerchampions.com/request-early-access/

This is a mobile version of the CCG that was just released. Itā€™s free, you donā€™t need any cards to play as you can play with the provided default decks against the AI or other people online, and if you do end up buying the physical cards, you can scan them into the app with your phone to digitally add them to your library.

Iā€™ve been playing a little bit and itā€™s a lot of fun, especially for zero dollars.

Recent gaming:

Warhammer 40K Space Wolf: Customizable Tactical Card Game would be the best way to describe it. Have a deck of card that you play as youā€™re fighting Chaos, et al. Get better cards, upgrade your deck, lather rinse repeat. It originally was a mobile game ported to Steam, and every two weeks or the publisher release promo codes for free card/packs. The code say theyā€™re only good for 2 weeks but I was able to apply nearly a yearā€™s worth of codes.

Intellivision Flashback console: I had this growing up in grade school. Itā€™s technically a 16-bit console, but this was in an age where video gaming was trying to figure out art and design. Some games are a cool as I remember, other games I never played that had a disturbing lack of polish. The flash back controllers are a lot lighter than the originals, but thatā€™s to be expected with 30+ years of electronic innovation. A lot of 2 player only games. Thereā€™s also Utopia which is one of the older pre-ā€œCivā€-style games. Iā€™ll be bringing it to the MAGCondo this year, if anyone is interested.

Spider-Man (PS4): Very solid, polished game. Very much in the Arkham City/Assassinā€™s Creed wheelhouse but with a lighter tone. The combat is very similar to Arkham but itā€™s faster and Spider-Manā€™s webbing can affect a greater area, plus air combos are a thing. Webslinging around Manhattan is fun, you can play tourist with all of the public landmarks.

1 Like

Cosmic Star Heroine is really great! Iā€™m not the first person to make this comparison, but itā€™s like Phantasy Star meets Chrono Trigger. If you like old school rpgs with modern sensibilities, check this game out!

https://youtu.be/hCAoqNADR6I

1 Like

I bought it a while ago but havenā€™t gotten around to playing itā€¦ but yeah, I have to start soon!

1 Like

Iā€™m only a couple hours into it, but itā€™s a blast so far! Itā€™s totally scratching my SNES/Genesis nostalgia itch, and at the same time isnā€™t mired down by the stale and old conventions of that period of games. It really is the best of both worlds.

1 Like

Iā€™m slowly working through DQXI. It hits my nostalgia hard.

Finally Beat witcher 3 Wild Hunt. Of course since the main plot revolves around a almost father daughter relationship between the two leads. The ending action is almost secondary to the emotional aspects of the end, where the difference between someone surviving or dying depends how you treated them through the course of the game. Itā€™s not a perfect game, but itā€™s probably one of the best RPGā€™s in the last 10 years. Looking forward to the netflix show, and maybe checking out the novels it was based on.

1 Like

Iā€™m not quite done with the dlc for that game but I agree itā€™s excellent.

One thing thatā€™s not excellent is any fan of the franchiseā€™s insistence you have to play the first two before playing the third. Have any of them seen how terrible the first looks in the modern era? Itā€™s like 2004 era single player world of warcraft. There is no faster way to put me off than insisting I play this ancient single player mmo.

They donā€™t look very good, but itā€™s the story, not the gameplay, thatā€™s important. Reading a summary would suffice. Fans do enjoy gatekeeping, though.

1 Like

Admittedly I didnā€™t get far into it, but I had no trouble picking up 3 without playing 1 or 2. The Witcher is not the most original story arch.

Last PAX South I saw ā€œThe Messengerā€ at a booth, and immediately knew I would buy it. Itā€™s basically a Ninja Gaiden remake/parody, only modernized. I started playing it yesterday, and it is terrific.

The controls are great. The music is bumping. Iā€™m sure itā€™s going to eventually be very difficult, but it curves up smoothly. So far it has committed absolutely zero game design crimes. Very polished. The stories that the shopkeeper tells are really great as well.

If you like an NES platforming game, get this ASAP. Full price, who cares.

1 Like

I havenā€™t wanted to give Devolver money ever since they published Mother Russia Bleeds.

Whatā€™s the story there?