Forum Job Board

Been a while! Could not live in NYC and pay the bills on a publishing salary unfortunately. Learned html, css, a little javascript and am now one with Satan. Trading financial debt for moral debt. :wink:

Edit: should add that the current goal of our service is to use machine learning to teach companies how they should be talking to their customers to provide a better experience overall, not to teach them how to trick customers into buying things they don’t need. We are an anti-click bait organization for all intents and purposes.

1 Like

No personal ball washer? At least the clubs and rings would be less dirty…

1 Like

My company (that big one in Seattle with the popular website for buying things) has literally thousands of openings, so that’s an easy thing to find. I don’t have any recommendations because I’m on my way out, but if you want tips on how to get through the interview process, I can definitely help you out there.

1 Like

Where you headed to?

I recently did their preinterview exam. Was a simulation of ticket management, followed by a practical featuring debugging a container with a wrong port bind. Then the lady started emailing me when I did so well and I was like, “Got positions in NYC?”
They’re like “How does Richmond sound?”
I’m like “Sounds like a place that isn’t NYC.”

So not taking the job at Amazon.

It’d worth noting that they were pretty annoying about telling me not to tell people what their exam was. So if ya have any questions, lemme know I’d be happy to answer.

Don’t know yet, but I’ve got a good lead that I’m hoping will pan out. If not, then I’ll explore other options. I’m just at that point where I want to do something else, and I’d rather be not working while I look for it.

@Naoza, there are a lot of positions in NYC, but yeah, not so much in the IT sense. If you want to work at a data center, Richmond and Columbus are the only options on the east coast.

They also offered Seattle. But this lady is pretty persistent. I was only doing it to see what their exam was.

They are incredibly persistent, only second maybe to Google which I find strange. Google recruiters can be insufferable.

If your looking for Biology jobs (and related fields) my company is always looking for more lab techs to abuse and such.

New Jersey has some data centers. There are also some in and around the Google building in Chelsea.

Detroit supposedly has a lot of datacenter and IT work, but I have never looked too much into it.

From one type of big iron to another, I suppose.

1 Like

True. I’m not familiar with what those locations actually do or what needs they have. I just know that the Richmond location is the most important data center we have, so it makes sense most of their hiring will be there.

2 Likes

I know where I’m moving.

1 Like

Didn’t know you had a taste for mutton, mate.

6 Likes

My company (in Cambridge, MA) is hiring for a few different positions: https://labcentral.org/contact/employment. Mostly lab management and purchasing jobs. The cafe operations associate and concierge positions could go to anyone with good social and organizational skills, and the starting salary is pretty high for that kind of thing. We get unlimited vacation days and they pay your health insurance deductable, among a slew of other benefits. Good work-life balance. It’s also a pretty interesting place to work in general.

The little audio company I work for, ZVOX Audio, is looking for someone to join our call center team. We’re based on the North Shore of Massachusetts. If you are down for helping old people hear their TVs better than they have in a long time, reach out to me. We don’t really have a formal job application in place.

1 Like

Now, everyone is on this NYC train and I have sortof been thinking of moving there for years now. I’m making some changes this year and I was all set to just try my hand at Brooklyn, but, I’ve always thought maybe I should go beyond the local villages and try a Taipei or Tokyo or Guangzhou type of town. Or Berlin, Prague, Stockholm… anywhere that isn’t the US and anywhere not English speaking. And isn’t impossible to get visas for. (which is why my lean towards Asia) I’ve been in the US for 30 years and so if I’m gonna make a change, feel I shouldn’t wait much longer.

I’ve been talking to a lot of my friends and, doing my own research. But figure I’d ask here that since a number of you are out doing something similar, or have been in the past, or have spent most of your life outside your home, or come from these places, are there any leads or recommendations in your area? Sure I can just go look at boards and teach English like every other white kid but, I’m up for deviation too. For example I’ve done freelance work for a company in Taipei, that now makes a few products I’ve designed. So my first thought is go there. But I know there’s a lot of opportunity beyond that.

1 Like

I heard Taipei is the new hotness when it comes to tech jobs in Asia

1 Like