Fashion. OMG SHOES. Shirts that aren't T

I bulk-bought six or seven pairs of Uvex cycling glasses.

https://m.sportolino.de/uvex-Sportstyle-204-Sportbrille.htm?affiliate=froogle&av=14160932&gclid=Cj0KCQiAw9nUBRCTARIsAG11eifZoDEoFoMTJi7C5IaIL70RJQSsP1pYAvIeclAYAG-Lt7AoAGgEo3IaApEXEALw_wcB

I got the clear ones for cycling at night, tinted for days with overcast conditions, the blue rimmed dark glasses for riding in the sun and the fully black ones for general sunglasses. In total they cost about €120, and I’ve only had to replace two in the last two years.

For cycling I bought one pair on Amazon that came with interchangeable lenses for different situations. I mostly wanted the clear ones for days when it isn’t bright, but I don’t want crap to get in my eyes. They are very functional, but ugly. Not something you would wear walking around every day.

http://amzn.to/2FC9Xhr

Yeah I just use a pair that are 100% Black, so don’t look like crazy clown glasses or still riding up a mountain in France.

Yep, I agree for sure.

I would have said second and second to last, thinner black frames really do him some favors. But the first pair are still pretty good, too.

I was leaning towards them as well, but the poll I put on Twitter they came in second (albeit a close second) behind the neo/Matrix style ones. @no_fun_girl pointed out they make me look like a law enforcement officer, which I think I agree with.

Now that I’ve narrowed down what does and does not look good, I think at this point it comes down to other factors like comfort, durability, lenses, etc. There were some that you could bend every which way and they would just reset themselves back into place. That’s definitely appealing.

1 Like

I have both aviators and the Neo-type black metal ones, both Ray Ban, and the aviators have held up a fair bit better over the last 8+ years.

The aviators are not mirroring tho, just amber. So they have less LE vibe and more aviator/Hunter S Thompson/Old School vibes. Not that you are going for that exactly.

I wear reflective aviators, but I’m shabby and shady looking enough to get away with it, without looking like a cop.

Reflective aviators, IMO. Can’t go wrong. They are my go-to sunglasses.

I have several pairs, and one REALLY can’t do without pair that’s perfect for me. A bit oversized and fits like a glove.

1 Like

Wayfarers > Aviators

I also like wayfarers, but they look stupid on my face. If not, this would be very easy.

2 Likes

I dunno man, the right pair looks alright on oyu. Like, the second pair in the first set of photos, if they were a little narrower or smaller, they’d be pretty great.

What about their even cooler sibling, the clubmaster? I have some Clubmaster clones that I love.

They are surprisingly hard to find. The one pair of small ones that I did find were extremely uncomfortable in the nose area.

Maybe when I’m an old geezer or something they will look good on me. Definitely not now.

I’m amazed and puzzled that people 1. know the names of sunglasses and 2. can identify them by look.

1 Like

There actually aren’t that many. Most are just slight variations with the same style.

It’s sort of like music. You’ve heard a band/song/genre a zillion times. You recognize it easily, but just don’t know the name until someone tells it to you.

1 Like

They’re already expensive, let’s not make it even worse.

Something that I found really interesting. Sunglass Hut is owned by Luxottica. Solstice is owned by Safilo which is the #2 behind Luxottica. They both sold Maui Jim brand, which is indeed an independent company. Also, Solstice was selling Ray Ban, which is a Luxottica brands.

The only thing of note is that Sunglass Hut does not mention the word Luxottica anywhere and pretends that all the brands are separate. Meanwhile one of the first things the Solstice employee said to me was “We have a big discount on all Safilo brands. I’ll tell you which ones those are if you are interested.”

Warby Parker was a nice store, but they had very few choices in the sunglass dept.

I only know broad categories - Like, I know what Aviators look like, I know what wayfarers look like, I know what teashades, but I couldn’t pick different brands of the same style out of a lineup. It’s not that hard, once you know what name goes with what style.

Plus, sunglasses are pretty important here. Pretty much everyone I know owns at least one or two pair.

That sucks. But I suppose big wayfarers are more “In” right now than smaller ones, so that was kind of inevitable.

Yeah, if my head was a different shape I would just by some without much consternation. They look great on the shelf and on other people’s faces, just not mine.

Yeah, I know that feeling. I mean, I tell myself for confidence’s sake that my face suits most styles of sunglasses, but let’s face it, it’s not true, and I’ve a giant scone besides. And I imagine it’s only harder with a shaved head, because hair and no hair can make a real difference when talking about facial accessories.