Fashion. OMG SHOES. Shirts that aren't T

You care a lot about fashion and aesthetics…

You also veto the far majority of fashion.

That just seems like a dangerously stupid thing to do rather than fashionable.

I have pulled this look off before but like collared shirt (or t-shirt), suit jacket, dark jeans and sneakers but I agree with all the others.
I have seen people dress like some of the guys in here at University but you wouldn’t see them like this in the real world.

I do that all the time but that’s because I have cerebral palsy and hate wearing uncomfortable shoes.

1 Like

One, I think it’s a good fashion. I’d say you have a good excuse to do it, but you don’t need one. I wear sneakers with suits to conferences all the time, and I’m not the only one doing it.

1 Like

I’ve had more than one person ask me if I’m vegan because I wear comfortable black shoes instead of uncomfortable leather ones.

As someone living in Sydney with ridiculous prices for clothing, H&M is my main shop (and thrift stores). I tend to go with the H&M basics range due to their affordability and enduring style as they tend to mix and match with everything. Finding good black shiny round toed pump high heels with no frills though is a challenge when not ordering on ebay.

Hard to describe my fashion as a whole though. I drift from basic but good looking clothing, to wearing a 3 piece pants suit, to having dresses that make me feel like Audrey Hepburn.

Would love the cyberpunk look, but my wallet and current availability says no.

I very much agree with the “try all things” method. I make a point whenever I’m clothes shopping to try on something which gives me the gut reaction of “pft, that’ll never work” because occasionally the gut lies. It’s a good way to get out of a wardrobe rut. This has however, ended in me owning a lot of clothes with pretty odd prints and I would maybe describe my style as “male k-pop idol”.

This is a much harder strategy for men because your choices are usually “do I get the shirt in this colour, or this colour?” They really don’t give you guys much variety.

How to get a dress shoe that is actually comfortable to wear like a sneaker?

Spend about $200 or more on a pair.

2 Likes

I agree with George, I can get some nice looking shoes on amazon for really cheap, but they’re pretty uncomfortable.

I refuse to believe that the only comfortable, but not ugly doofy, dress shoe is the very expensive one.

I like Rockports, they’re like $120-$150? Is that too much?

Why? It makes a lot of sense for that to be the case.

I’ll try it. I can literally order thousands of dollars worth of shoes from Zappos, and return all but one pair.

I see plenty of other dudes in NYC who have to dress up for work in finance or whatev, and they all wear dress shoes every day. Are you telling me that all of them are either a) hurting their feet or b) spending $400 on shoes?

They’re spending more than $100 for a pair of dress shoes, I guarantee it.

EDIT: Also my dad likes Ecco, but he had to figure out his European size for them to fit right.

3 Likes

My Oxfords are ~$160 and are pretty comfortable. I wear them out about every 1.5 years in normal working wear.

My dad always recommended Cole Haan shoes. He said they were expensive, sure, but were super comfortable and lasted much longer than cheaper dress shoes which you have to replace more frequently.

Additionally, it was still cheaper to re-sole them than to buy a new pair of shoes. He’d rather spend $150+ on good shoes that lasted 7-10 years, and could be re-soled, than cheaper shoes that had to be replaced every 2-4 years.

The thing is, I’m not wearing dress shoes every day. I’m wearing them just a few times a year. It’s just that even those few times a year, I still don’t want my feet to hurt.

So buy a nice moderately expensive ($150-$200) and keep them for 10 years or more. They’re still cheap amortized over 10 years.

1 Like