Fail of Your Day

They shouldn’t. Those events are even more worthless than Blizzcon.

No. E3 goes back and forth on allowing non-journalists to go, but the Tokyo Game show is open admittance.

When I lived in Japan, I went to the TGS twice.

Again, YOU think they’re worthless. Others disagree.

What is the specific benefit of attending Tokyo Game Show or E3 in person that makes it worth the cost and effort to attend?

Who knows?

But that’s my point. Obviously there is some benefit and enjoyment factor to the people who do go. Just because you can’t understand and comprehend that doesn’t mean that there isn’t.

I believe they do. You can definitely play wow at blizcon. If there’s a new expansion coming out there’s also a preview of the features there, where you can play it early. Often there’s also a like organized pvp thing there. Where you can play this organized pvp thing while actually being able to talk to the other people in it.

Very uncommon to be able to do those things. I believe they also have a videogame history thing where you can play old bliz games you’ve probably not played like old vikings.

I still think the major draw is the fact that likely a bunch of your friends that you really wanna chill with are gonna be there and the whole con serves as an excuse to see them. While you’re there you may as well take part in the activities that are on offer. Try asking a blizzard employee some stuff you’re curious about at one of their panels.

I remember when I wanted to go I couldn’t even afford the stay at home pass. Highschool students be poor, yo. I remember when I eventually caught panel footage on youtube or the dance contest, I was sorta amazed how many people were like, really really into the roleplay aspect of the game. Asking about where certain specs of certain classes fit into the story at large.

I didn’t care and I thought I wouldn’t have much in common with those people but I imagine they had their own reason for going. Something having to do with roleplay.

The simple fact that someone enjoys a thing does not validate that thing.

And the simple fact that you don’t enjoy a thing doesn’t invalidate it.

I actually like many Blizzard games a lot. I’ve played and beaten most of their games. I play Hearthstone almost every day. I actually watched most of the Hearthstone Global Games stream from Blizzcon.

Naoza has pointed out some things that happen there which aren’t completely worthless. I don’t like WoW, I don’t enjoy those particular bands performing at BlizzCon concerts, I don’t enjoy cosplay that much, but I acknowledge them as valid activities.

This has nothing to do with what I like or do not like

I don’t acknowledge attending an advertisement in person as a valuable activity. What is the specific benefit of being physically in the room when such an announcement is made? What makes it worth traveling and paying money?

Why do you go to live hockey games when you can just as easily see it on TV? With replays, zooms, announcers and commentary, arguably TV is the superior experience. Yet you wrote you paid money to go see the Rangers game in person.

Why? What does seeing the Rangers play live give you that TV doesn’t?

Guys, stop trying to out stubborn each other.

1 Like

You see things in person that you don’t get to see on TV. You can look anywhere you want, and aren’t restricted to where the TV cameras are pointing. You can see warmups. You can see what happens during commercial breaks and timeouts. You can hear what is happening on the ice and don’t have to hear any TV ads or other bullshit. At MSG there is live music! Get some Ray Castoldi action.

Maybe you’ll get a crappy free t-shirt from the blue crew or a puck to the face!

No one goes just for that… Maybe some crazies do I suppose but most people don’t. It’s just another thing to do and get excited about in person with friends along with the panels and concerts and cosplay and being among your people. It’s why I went to the Final Fantasy XIV Fanfest. Sure there were announcements but I wanted to see the devs and the band and the contests and all the rest.

I’ll be as stubborn as I damn well please.

1 Like

People go to that. Even at PAX, big industry panels had long lines and full rooms.

This has EVERYTHING to do with what you don’t like. You don’t like it, so it has ZERO value to you. It obviously has value to other people, otherwise no one would go and Blizzard would cancel their convention. The fact that you continue to not realize this boggles my mind.

Different people have different opinions and different tastes. Your opinion is not superior to anyone else’s. You are not the arbiter of what is good or worthwhile.

So you personally find value in extraneous things that are completely unrelated to the game itself. If I don’t find value in that, does that make me a bad person? Does that lessen my enjoyment of the hockey game itself? No, of course not. It just means that we have difference preferences.

Right but not -just- for that. If all Blizzcon was, was Paul Marketing from Blizzard getting on the stage and making press announcements you wouldn’t have nearly the attendance.

I like stupid idle games. I admit they are stupid, worthless, and a waste of time.

Someone liking paying to see a press conference doesn’t justify it. It’s still a fucking stupid waste of time.

5 Likes

Can we make it a new rule that arguments with Robot-Scott about him not understanding human emotions and motivations happen directly in the Fail of Your Day thread from the start? It’s so much better this way.

8 Likes