Fail of Your Day

Over the summer, self-checkout machines were installed in the campus supermarkets. They have two options for payment. One is scanning the your barcode in the payment app, which is standard practice here. The other choice is tapping “Yo, it’s me” and using face recognition. From what I’ve seen it works pretty well, but I don’t see why someone would want to voluntarily connect for Alibaba (and by extension the Chinese government) their biometrics and bank info.

It’s China. The government probably has all that info already anyway.

Well, yeah, but that doesn’t mean folks should just give it to them anyway. If nothing else, at least the work better than any self-checkout machine I’ve used in the US. Actually, I’ve only ever had trouble with them in the US.

Hard Drive toaster hard toasted drives.

Stick welding is pretty hard to learn with modern equipment. Practice stick welding with ancient equipment from the 40’s is fucking next level.

1 Like

So, have you streamed it now June 1 has passed?

Yeah, I did one time.

iOS 12, minutes in and already finding regressions. Takes 3 clicks to embed a picture into a message. Used to be 2.

There is dedicated row of apps above the keyboard in Messages, and the Photos app is the very first one! Tap it and you see your recent photos, tap the photo you want, and it’s ready to send. How are you doing it?

I have that row hidden to save screen real estate. With that bar up and the keyboard out, 7 lines of text are visible on my screen, less if it’s across multiple messages.

In iOS 11 you touched the camera icon and you got an inline camera display and the list of photos. What was so bad about that Apple?

It wasn’t new and different enough.

For the first time, one of my RAID 1 drives has failed. I bought these 1.5TB drives 8 or so years ago as a 3 disk set. 2 hot drives and a cold spare. I finally get to use my cold spare.

More of a rant about fails, but I needed to get it off my chest a bit.

For years, I’ve used the word “thug,” derived from the historical Indian thuggee bandit cult, to refer to any random violent individual. For example, I would often refer to a dirty hockey or football player as a “thug” (or sometimes, especially in hockey, “goon”). However, apparently racist shitlords have made “thug” a term for any African-Americans they don’t like, so I can’t use “thug” in its original sense even when talking about a dirty player who happens to also be African-American (see Ndamakung Suh as an example of a dirty African-American football player).

Now, more recently, racist 4chan shitlords have turned the “OK” hand gesture into a racist symbol for “white power.” So now I have to be careful when using a gesture I’ve used for who knows how many years because it could be misconstrued as racist.

Argh. I just really wanna take a baseball bat to the skulls of those racist shitlords sometimes…

The only time I ever used the OK hand gesture was in the Adventure Time context.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SSZGrb8VT0

So I’ve seen some interesting takes on the ok hand gesture. And some interesting, but informal analysis.

So in these racist shitlord circles, apparently there’s some ideas about like, taking innocuous things and making them like… theirs. So there’s been some like, going around and performative using the ok hand gesture as a like, thing to show that you’re a shitlord it’s your thing.

However, apparently they don’t often use it amongst conversations with each other. So it’s sole use is to try and like… “make it theirs”, it’s pretty insidious, they’re trying it with all kinds of seemingly innocuous, the milk emoji, and that frog comic, both come to mind.

I don’t have a solution, I just think one useful metric to determine if a thing is like a shitlord thing or just a thing shitlords are trying to make theirs is whether or not they use it when they aren’t broadcasting to the world.

Maybe people are letting names, titles, and gestures have too much significance here. You can either ignore it or own it, but getting offended by it gives it more credit than it’s due. Words are also allowed to mean multiple things and context matters.

1 Like

It’s also not the “OK” sign, it’s the circle game. OK is above the waist, fingers upward.

I’m not convinced that it’s not assholes trolling people.

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq0ZHgKT2tc

This is exceedingly relevant. Culture is plastic.

It’s true that context matters but certain things are seized on so hard their context is changed. It’s not new. The swastika wasn’t a hate symbol until Nazis took it and made it theirs. Contextually it is still used as a map marker for Buddhist temple in Japan as an ancient symbol associated with Buddhism. But the association with Nazism in the west is so strong they are changing symbols on tourist maps ahead of the Olympics. Pepe was a character associated with a dumb catchphrase and peeing with your pants all the way down until it was coopted as a fascist symbol. Most people associate Pepe with that context now. In both cases the general population never knew the original context. No one knew an ancient symbol or an obscure internet joke until it was presented as a hate symbol.

It expressly is. I’m on my phone at work or I’d show my source but it was a coirdinated 4chan fascist psyop to take a common gesture and convince people it was a white supremacist dog whistle so when liberal politicians used it they could say LOOK THEY’RE RACIST and thus “own the libs.” It just happened to succeed beyond their wildest dreams and is actually being used unironically as a racist dogwhistle.

2 Likes