Fail of Your Day

So, I just learned today that TV Shows on DVD shut down.

Man, that’s a bummer. It was great for finding info on releases.

Fail of the day? I woke up and went to work :smile:

1 Like

Floor and balcony of all three shows for Gaslight Anthem in Boston sold out in the presale.

Keep an eye on StubHub?

There’s a community of Gaslight fans online that trade tickets at face value. I’m gonna look there first.

I’ve noticed this sort of thing happening for a lot of shows recently.

It turns out I had like three documents called “Reference Quotes” on my last computer and I backed up the wrong two. I lost thirteen pages of quotes so I’ll have to set up my last desktop to get it back.

That sucks to have to do but if it’s an option there’s a often a way to just get them off the harddrive directly, either by putting it into your computer or by using a special cable that turns any harddrive into a usb hard drive.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. Just ordered one such cable. I broke a SATA cable last time I messed around in there so I’d rather not if I don’t have to.

1 Like

This is an anon ask to an artist I follow on Tumblr. Congratulations you played yourself.

1 Like

Dealing with bullshit toxic masculinity and ‘I’m a veteran so I’m always right’ in a team where you play with toy guns is fucking exhausting. Dudes ego is so insecure that as a desk jockey he claimed to be fitter than someone who goes to the gym 3 times a week and coaches a basket ball team.

1 Like

My dad always told me about veterans is that the ones that brag the most are the ones that did the least.

1 Like

Thats a far cop. The guy drove tanks during peace time and was out by the time things kicked off. 99% certain this is him living out fantasies he didn’t get.

The handful of veterans I personally know are really humble about it. One of them was my uncle, who I had known all my life, and I didn’t even know he was a vet (Vietnam, though he was stationed in Germany the whole time) until it came up when talking to my ex-father-in-law (also a Vietnam vet, though he served on an airbase in Vietnam) just a few years ago. For that matter, my ex-father-in-law is pretty humble about it too. He has some memorabilia on his desk (he continued to serve long after Vietnam ended) and a “Vietnam veteran” car magnet, but that’s about it. And my ex-brother-in-law only ended up with a veteran’s license plate when he went to register his car at the DMV and the clerk was like, “Hey, it says on this paperwork you’re a vet. Want the vet’s plate?”

The only vet I know is my uncle and he tells a lot of stories about it. Not stories of glory and valor, but stories of silly stuff like committee meetings or arguing over paying for pizza delivery. He’s also adequately mad at the government for having been on three tours of wars that we had no business fighting.

1 Like

Excel and IP addresses do not get along.

2 Likes

Nope. Nor with date fields that aren’t perfectly formatted, nor with timestamps of video footage. It always converts stuff into time of day and shit like that. I’m sure there are ways to make it not format stuff automagically, but once you type something in and hit enter… too late! I’ve never worked out exactly how to not auto-format cells in advance, and just work around it.

I just remembered that I was only talking about American vets that I knew. My dad and his brother were veterans of the Portuguese Colonial Wars in Africa, specifically Angola and Mozambique. They almost never talked about it, except to talk about how nasty it was.

Of course, it seems like it’s mostly American vets that get off on saying, “Har har, I’m a vet so I’m better than you.” Or at least that’s the impression I’ve gotten on social media.

My grandpa only talked about the war once as far as I know. His life was saved by a book in his breast pocket that caught a piece of grenade shrapnel (he kept the book and the shrapnel), and he was part of the forces that liberated a concentration camp (I thought it was Bergen-Belsen, but Wikipedia doesn’t mention anything about American forces, so I might be wrong).

1 Like

Two of my great uncles were in WWII. One was a ball turret gunner after he failed navigation school. However, on one mission the navigator was killed by enemy fire though the plane was still flyable, and with his incomplete training navigated the plane back to England. He got a Silver Star for that. The other was a marine at Iwo Jima and one other island I can’t remember. They both talked about everything up to the first time they went into combat, about training and their friends and all that. Gunner Uncle would talk about everything up to the point he first spotted a Messerschmidt fighter. Marine Uncle would talk about everything up to the point where the ramp dropped on their landing craft. It was a very definite line for them, it was a little spooky when they would get to that point, trailing off, thousand yard stare at the wall, then shake their heads and change the subject. We only know about Gunner Uncle’s medal because my great aunt had his medal and citation.

1 Like