Fail of Your Day

Things I hate: When a video in a YouTube playlist you made gets deleted, and you have no idea what that video was anymore.

4 Likes

It appears that Universal Fan Con just told people it wasn’t going to happen next week. Offering no refunds, and telling buyers they will have a ticket to the next one.

Update: pop up con will take it’s place on that weekend, shit

Tweet from @BHMatter: https://twitter.com/BHMatter/status/987796223825448960

We’ve secured a massive space for an all day PopUpCon - Saturday 4/28! Location is the Wicomico Building - about a mile from the ConventionCenter. We’ve dubbed it #WICOMICON & are opening our doors to any vendors negatively affected by the FanCon fiasco. It’s on! Spread the word! https://twitter.com/BHMatter/status/987796223825448960/photo/1

Just before my lay off date my mouth decides to squeeze out some wisdom teeth. Fucking unreal. The pain of my jaw is only second to the amount of anxiety I have over being caught without insurance. OTL Fortunately I have a dentist appointment on Thurs, but it’s still cutting it way too close.

So, The Intercept published a story recently about a member of the DCCC, and how the voicemail recording they had secretly obtained proves something about both that member of the DCCC and the DCCC itself, the whole organization is clueless and corrupt.

And here’s the except you saw coming because of what thread this is in - Turns out their absolutely key(and frankly, only) piece of evidence was almost certainly entirely fake, and they were so keen to just attack the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (and I’ve give you 2016 guesses why), that they never actually bothered to verify the voicemail, and are now desperately trying to salvage the story.

More detail.

1 Like

And the curse gets worse, as Intercept refuses to back down from what has now been pretty clearly proven to be a fake story. The Humiliation conga continues.

1 Like

So, apparently a bunch of adults on twitter have been harassing a 16 year old girl for weeks because she wore a cheongsam to her prom. While, yeah, that’s culturally appropriative (although the history of the cheongsam is more nuanced, and many people consider it a fusion of western and Chinese styles), at worst this is a dumb teenager mistake and it looks really gross when all these adults keep patting themselves on the back for giving her what for.

1 Like

I just found out that they’re going to be closing the metro station I use, to get to and from work everyday, for three months next summer for repairs, from Memorial Day to Labor Day. I’ll need to find an alternative way to get to work, either by bus, or drive to a closer metro stop and take the train from there.

This is going to be a total pain in the ass.

While pain in the ass, how about riding a bike, either to the station or entirely to work?

During the hottest and most humid time of the year, in a suit?

Wait to put the suit on until you get there.

I’d still be all hot and sweaty from riding a bike to work. I’d smell terribly.

:frowning: More companies should have showers available for bike commuters.

1 Like

I could not agree more.

I’ve been biking to work wearing a suit jacket in the heat. The main benefit of “huffing and puffing” so often, as Scott likes to call it, has been that if I bike at a low speed, I don’t even break a sweat.

As long as I don’t hurry, I get to work in about 15 minutes no worse for the wear than if I rode the subway (as long as it’s under 80*) :wink:

I also don’t break a sweat?

Also, biking is a LOT better than the subway. Today I was carrying a ton of crap with me, so I couldn’t bike. I took the train and it was super crowded and slow. Biking would have gotten me there in almost half the time.

According to Google maps, so take that as you will, it would take me approximately 1.5 hours to bike to work, as opposed to taking the Metro, which takes 40 minutes.

Additionally, I would love to live in the fictional world where DC/Northern VA summers are under 80 degrees with reasonable humidity.

Much has been said about the subway system in NYC, but where I live, the Metro might not be a frequent or as on time, but it’s infinitely better and more comfortable to take a train rather than bike in to work.

You’re a bit further from work than I am. Biking to work takes me 40 minutes if I just cruise and chill. The subway takes about just as long if it’s running perfectly smoothly. Even Google Maps says that biking is 5 minutes faster than the subway.

TL;DR: I think your solution is to move closer to work.

Biking to my old job took me ~30min if I pushed it and got sweaty. ~45min if I rode slow and chill.

But, it was only ~7 miles mostly on bike paths.

Mine is now 7.6 miles and it takes 40 minutes without a single huff. 44 minutes the one day I couldn’t get past the Midtown tunnel entrance on 2nd avenue because buses were blocking everything.

It’s amazing how much huffing and puffing it takes to shave 15min off a bike commute.

Now I tend to ride chill to work and huffpuff from work.