Fail of Your Day

Mildly messed up the VM datastore at work. No data is lost, but fixing it is tedious.

One of my new meds is making me throw up a lot. Probably the androgen blocker because the estrogen isn’t orally delivered (it’s dissolved under the tongue) making it less likely to induce vomiting than something actually going to the stomach.

Guess who’s got a concussion! Now for the gamble to see if I’m going to wake up tomorrow.

The family dog died this morning. She was very old and sick so we saw it coming, but still…

It sounds like they should move to a “created by” model if they are going to continue to scout stories from what are basically fanfic level writing sites. Either that or they need to be much much choosier about what they publish. I can say though that by titles alone you can tell that a lot of the light novel publishing output in Japan is complete drek.

Yep. Even the wish fulfillment and protagonists being blank slates for someone’s personal projection…

It’s also how we ended up with 50 shades, so it’s not just Japan.

I had a league of legends friend who was an editor for some kind of publisher that basically published smut. Apparently it was often badly written and very weird, but it was profitable. Horror stories about one of the series obsessions with making things crusty and focusing on certain smells.

1 Like

It just dawned on me that the reason for the blank slate self insert isn’t just an editorial decision to appeal to people who want to self insert, the author is doing it for themselves. I never thought about it that way.

You can apparently make a tidy sum just writing smutty short fiction and self publishing on Kindle regardless of writing skill. As long as you hit people’s preferred buttons they will buy. Of course you can do better if your writing is above-par and you have regular output. I’ve honestly considered trying it for funsies and see how it goes.

I just always assumed self-insert always was about the author’s personal fulfillment via writing.

Also I’m pretty curious about the potential to just have fun writing shitty erotic-fiction for hard cash, seems the bar is not very high.

Writing a YA novel is a rather easy way to get a movie contract. Big-name studios would be knocking on your door real quick.

Is there a dry-spell for YA novels? I’d think we’re flooded with it, but if not I gotta start thinking about how to put more tweens into my fictional worlds.

There’s never a dry spell. It won’t stop the studios from licensing everything possible, though. They’re always hungry for more.

That’s rough. Let us know if you do wake up I suppose.

1 Like

Well good news I didn’t die in my sleep! Better news is that I haven’t re-fractured my neck again and seem to have dodged the worse of the haemorrhaging. Bad news is that the muscles in my neck are fucked and I look to have headaches for about a week or two.

The extra fail is that I had quite a few concussions when I was younger skating and playing rugby. Now times have changed a bit and now starting to get worried about their growing accumulation.

Edit; Also re-dislocated my shoulder again. So looks like I’ll have to get that surgery a bit sooner than I thought.

2 Likes

You do reconstructed combat too, right? I assume live steel and not cudgels like I do?

I’m kind of in the same boat, what with all the recent research about CTE and impact to the head. It’s not just concussions that I need to worry about - it’s all the sub-concussive force and general head impact that may contribute to deterioration.

I’m working towards brain imaging soon, because I figure I might as well find out. And then the great debate: do I continue with this knowing where it leads, or do I find some other physically-engaging hobby that will be less engaging?

So yeah, I get this worry.

I’ve been doing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for a few years now. Physically engaging, no head impacts. Or really any impacts. At all. All submissions, great way to get some endorphins going.

Also been doing BJJ for a few years here. Part of the reason was that I wanted something relatively low-impact due to being on blood thinners.

Admittedly, I took a fall badly in one class and ended up separating my shoulder, but I was right back into it once it was healed and rehabbed.

I did Judo while I was at RIT. Concussions are aren’t that common unless you’re being stupid, but limbs get fucked up from time to time (usually also because someone was being stupid).

1 Like

If one needs a competitive combative sort of force on force sport, with minimal blunt force trauma, modern paintball might be up someone’s alley.

It isnt as “call of duty” as airsoft and the playstyle is more physical by and large.

I play a variety that uses low cap magazines vs hoppers, and most players have rifled, finned rounds much much more accurate than traditional paintballs. So its a lot less about bullet hosing or arena play you might have seen in the “speedball” format popular in the 00’s

Anyone in the NY, NJ, CT, MASS, PA area who wants to check it out, I’m on a small, well known local magfed team and we go to and host events and meetups all around the area, so we can get you into the swing with minimal pressure.

1 Like