eBooks and eBook readers

You get what you pay for.

1 Like

How much is suffering worth?

I don’t know about borrowing on Kindle, but I’ve recently started checking out ebooks from my local library. They have a very good selection of “books that I want to read but don’t want to spend money on.” I mean, they probably have books I would want to buy, but I don’t look for those there because I bought them.

I’m always amazed by people on this forum’s ability to write off services and technology because it doesn’t meet their hyper niche specifications.

4 Likes

About a hundred fifty an hour, plus extras, according to the ads in the back of the local paper.

3 Likes

I’m no longer surprised, but still dismayed, that I seem to be the only person who changes their specifications to match the technology.

I dunno, that seems too broad an allegation. For example, I refuse to use certain services because I’ve been fucked by the DRM.

Should I change my hardware so their software recognizes it as something it’ll allow itself to run on, or are my niche specifications too hyper?

Is it too hyper when I harbor a grudge against the whole company for that infraction?

Most of the time I don’t use things because I don’t want to pay for them and I’m like the king of doing without when everyone says I have to.

I’m not really picking on you specifically. It’s a trend I notice among a lot of people. But even you yourself are talking about using Korean MP3 players and talking about not wanting to pay for stuff. Like, if you are a company that is legally obligated to protect the content of others and someone says hey what about person X that is using some foreign possibly-non smart device? You’re obviously not going to consider that to cater to the 10’s of thousands of people out of billions. Especially when your actual demographic is a fraction of that billions.

AT&T is the leading subscription service and they’re still only holding around ~100 million your pool of users is relatively small compared to the total demographic. How much are you willing to go out of your way to acquire a few thousand more? Media is a really fickle thing. You’re either going to change lifestyle (or in 90%+ of the time not change) or not use the service or technology. It’s not bad to not use something, but you should remember that you’re an edge case in development if you choose to stick with your ways.

1 Like

I get that people who have korean mp3 players that aren’t very smart (that’s kinda the point actually) aren’t the core audience. The fact that certain things don’t work for me is par for the course.

That said, at it’s core the argument that big companies like AT&T are really making here is something like, look if you wanna use your weird setup, too bad, no music, ebooks or, whatever for you.

Is that right or wrong? I have no idea. The free market solution is someone comes along and fills my weird needs in exchange for my money at a fair market price. Thus far, no such luck.

What are some things you might do with a very old Kindle Touch that’s just collecting dust? Still functions perfectly well, I just have a newer one.

Give it to someone who doesn’t have one so they can read ebooks.

3 Likes

Yeah, they’re not really powerful enough to do any of the stuff you can with an old phone or tablet. Plus, someone without one might be better helped with it, like Scott said.

Pretty much. Short of stripping it for parts, the best thing you can do with it is pass it on.

If you don’t know anyone personally, maybe give it to a library.

Unless the library has an explicit lending program for ereaders this is not helpful. Even if they do they probably have 1 or 2 particular models their limited IT staff service and getting a random ereader is not useful. You are just shifting the burden of safe disposal to another entity (I worked for years in a univeristy library IT department).

Look for a technology donation non-profit operating in your area that would clean it up and donate it to a family in need. If one doesn’t exist then a e-waste recycler really is the best option.

If there’s no specific non-profit or charity to donate a thing to, you can always give it away for $0 on Facebook Marketplace, or equivalent.

2 Likes

There is a community run donation group called Buy Nothing that has locally run groups I think by zip code on FB and they have their own app now.