Do You Even Lift, Brah? (Exercise Thread)

That’s why I have a hard time taking a rest day when working out, usually I keep the soreness at bay by working out most days, and when I take a day of rest, everything catches up …

1 Like

To be fair, you have to really ignore serious and obvious signs that your body is in trouble to get to the point of those crossfit victims. That shit doesn’t just feel like “the burn.” Athletic people can tell the difference.

The problem is that crossfit TELLS YOU to ignore those warning signs.

1 Like

What I’ve seen in research is that CrossFit is very much case by case. Some of the gyms I look at are obviously scuzzy. Others seem like the staff are otherwise competent trainers but use the CrossFit branding and method to bring the bodies.

My concern with it and why I’ve put off going right now is that despite being a class based program, the individually targeted training and attention that would come with having a trainer to guide you is still almost non-existant without paying extra on top of the already expensive classes for actual one on one. So I can totally see someone pushing the class to go a certain pace and the individual going beyond their capability. Even tho they should be able to tailor things to let you scale it, they sortof leave it up to you to four that scale out. And that’s after finding a place where the trainers listen and seem more competent than some bulked out bro who’s also a “fucking entrepreneur, bro.”

Crossfit sometimes encourages doing lifts quickly and sloppily, which is a great way to get injured. And while the truly stupid shit is not that common, Crossfit compilation videos will always be funny/scary.

Well actually, I tried to find one to post here but it looks like now-a-days they’re just videos of people trying to lift too much weight, or of thongs, not people attempting some inherently asinine and possibly dangerous, l;ike people playing catch with a loaded barbell.

1 Like

It seems to foster a competitive atmosphere which is not compatible with safe weightlifting. The difference between “I am pushing up against my limits” and “I am going to fuck my shit up” is very slight when lifting heavy things. Crossfit seems to encourage ignoring your body’s warning signs.

2 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga6Vr3Ec2Mc

1 Like

I have tried everything to be able to stand exercising and nothing is working. It is so mentally and physically uncomfortable to me and I can’t stand it at all. I really never have, even when I was a little kid. I have tried games, trackers, music, podcasts, pretty much everything I can think of to motivate or at least take the edge off. Any ideas?

Don’t find motivation. Find an enjoyable activity that you’ll be happy to do frequently. Go from there.

I mean that is kind of my point. I don’t find any physical activities that would count as exercise enjoyable.

Try more different things.

Bike, but don’t try to exercise. Just bike to go somewhere. Don’t try to go fast. Don’t try to work out or push hard. Just ride slowly, efficiently, and comfortably to your destination.

1 Like

This is the one thing I think might be good since it is serving a specific purpose, but, I live not in a city and bicycling down the shoulder on a four lane divided highway is asking to get killed.

1 Like

No matter where you live there is somewhere to bike. Seek out the local bicycle shop and hope it’s not a shitty one.

I think expanding your definition of exercise might help here. One example might be bird watching, where you can plan a hike around finding birds to photograph. Another could be baking, where you could plan baking events where you spend several hours consistently on your feet while using your arms to mix batter.

The important part is to find something you enjoy then see how you can get a workout from it. I’d also recommend trying to assess what it is you dislike about exercising. For some, they dislike doing it around others but find it more enjoyable as a solitary activity, while others prefer the exact opposite. It could be that the exercising itself isn’t the problem but rather the environment you exercise in.

1 Like

Speaking of expanding the definition of exercise:

" If Audioshield was Guitar Hero mixed with boxing, then Beat Saber is Guitar Hero mixed with the Jedi arts. It’s the high-intensity, low-impact holy grail of cardio…

Beat Saber became the new centerpiece of my daily routine. I played it for over an hour on my best days, swinging through songs again and again to master them as the sweat fell on my yoga mat. I found myself catching a runner’s high about 40 to 50 minutes into most sessions, causing the whole world to melt away as the Force flowed through my body, guiding my sabers to their beats. No aches, no pains, and no strains. Just pure, kinetic flow."

1 Like

Have ya been playing it on steam or with the PS4 VR or something else. This is one of those deals where there’s several ways to play and I’m quite interested in which ones work for whom?

I’ve been using the PS4 VR to play. I realize that something like the Occulus Rift is a better VR machine, but I don’t have the kind of space in my PC room for VR like I have in my living room with my PS4.

I’m obviously biased, but the Quest is IMHO the best option out there. No PC required, can play anywhere you want, and only $399 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve heard that bad boy is a game changer. The other day my parents had some garbo strap your phone to your head VR and they loved it so much they asked me what’s the best VR solution where they wouldn’t need me to set it up. After like an hour I suggested exactly that.