Do You Even Lift, Brah? (Exercise Thread)

FUCKING METRIC OR GTFO

omg

2 Likes

Dude, run a race here. Even the 5k/10k races have official mile markers on the route and official mile splits. I don’t think I’ve ever seen kilometer markers on any race I’ve ever run. No one talks in metric, none of the signage is in metric, none of the splits are tracked in metric, etc… :wink:

After you finish a 5k race here, you usually get an email that includes your “best mile” among other statistics.

1 Like

Roger Bannister was famous for being the first person on record to break a four minute mile. Not famous for being the first person to run 1.60934 km in 4 minutes.

6 Likes

I’ve been doing pretty well at staying in a cycling routine. 30 minutes, 2-3 times a week, whatever amount of resistance results in me being bathed in sweat by the end.

2 Likes

Good stuff. I’m there with you as I recently moved to just doing 30-45 min on my home excercize bike every work night before bed, along with some basic sit-up/pushup/pull-up sets while my heart rate is up. It feels pretty effective for costing no money and being convenient to fit my schedule. I am not an expert at all but the consistency of just going every day makes it easy. There’s less tendency to say “I can skip tonight and still hit my quota”. My quota is simply every night I’m at home… I hit the bike before I can call it a night. Simple math.

As for going to the CrossFit gym… it was being very effective but scheduling around their specific class times (only one slot for beginner level in the evening) and realizing that with very little effort I can do most of the beginner level work at home, made me decide to stop going there until I’ve progressed a lot on my own and can take full advantage of the more advanced workouts.

I’m going to give the nightly bike cardio another month before I decide to switch it up tho.

I started BJJ lessons recently. If I wasn’t already used to getting my ass kicked from other martial arts, getting tapped out 5 times a minute would be a very humbling experience.

It’s also reminding me what it feels like to be really tired. I only have so much willpower when it comes to running, but having a guy on top of me trying to choke me gives me the motivation to put the extra effort in.

2 Likes

That entire post reads really weird if you miss the second “J” of “BJJ”.

1 Like

The Boilermaker in Utica has all the signs in kilometers! It was a bit weird when I first saw them.

Been doing BJJ for about 3 years now, although there were some major gaps due to injury, one of them life threatening. It’s wonderful stuff and great exercise, IMHO.

My cholesterol is actually down from 3 months ago. I’m shocked I didn’t get put on a statin today.

3 Likes

I’m finally going back to my local Crossfit gym after taking a few months off due to travel, dealing with Katie’s medical issues, and just generally treating my body like shit. Everything hurts.

Related, I’m fascinated how I always tend to feel worse two days after a hard workout rather than the day after. I wonder if I’m missing some recovery steps I could be doing to make it less bad.

I’m sure there’s recovery stuff that would help (my girlfriend has more foam rolls and massage implements and other implements of torture than I can fathom a purpose for. Well I can imagine purposes for some of it but that’s the secret-menu applications)

but regardless I think the day after the day after is just usually maximal suck time; especially when getting back into it.

How long did you do it before?

I exercised regularly for a few years, but had to drop my old gym due to moving a little over a year ago, and it took a while to join this new gym due to lack of options. I’ve also gained about 15 pounds in the last year, none of it muscle, so I’ve just put myself in a bad spot physically and I’m aiming to slowly get it back on track.

I will agree that it seems to be something that could happen to a lot of people, it just wasn’t as much of a problem before. Most of the time I would be a little tight the next day and then ready to get back to it the day after that. Now it’s like, tight the next day, and limbs are completely unusable the day after.

1 Like

That is very much a thing. Dirty evil DOMS.

I had the same thing when I started at a Crossfit gym, but after a little while I got to a place where I could actually go up and down stairs on that second day without looking like none of my limbs could bend.

CrossFit is bad. Don’t get rhabdo. Just do normal exercise.

I didn’t even know about that aspect of CrossFit. Up until now, I had assumed CrossFit was just an interesting combination of non-standard exercises, somewhat inspired by the training regimen used by the cast of the movie 300 to get them to look the part of badass Spartan soldiers. It certainly sounded more interesting than just running on a treadmill followed by standard weight training (which I always found incredibly boring).

The whole pushing yourself to the point of muscles literally exploding is insane! I had no idea that was part of CrossFit, but I’m glad I didn’t take it up if that was part of the point.

I think I’ll stick to BJJ. Not only does it fulfill my need of mentally stimulating exercise, my BJJ master is perfectly fine with people needing to take a break if they are getting too tired to actually do the moves.

Don’t trust any exercise, diet, or health regimen that isn’t backed by empirical science and data. CrossFit is something some people just made up. It’s 100% marketing.

Well, crossfit has a lot of good ideas at the core(like functional movement and exercise, highly varied training regimes, etc) but the main problem is clueless, barely-trained(or simply untrained) practitioners, who push people in dangerous ways, disregard safe technique, and do a lot of shit that looks flashy but has less tangible benefit than just doing the regular version of that exercise.
Unfortunately, with how trends in fitness go, and with the almost complete lack of relevant regulation in the industry, that’s the majority of them right now.

1 Like

The thing is, I just assumed up until now that it was unique takes on established scientific exercise knowledge: i.e. lifting weights as part of cardio circuit training is good for you, but instead of lifting barbells, you instead flip giant tractor tires, that sort of thing. In principal, it’s no different than lifting barbells, but it’s somewhat more interesting given what you’re lifting and how you’re lifting it.

Of course, you know what they say when you “assume” something…

That is pretty much what I’m thinking hearing about all these issues with CrossFit. My first thoughts, not researching it, were pretty much the same as you stated about it being based on the good ideas in its core. It seems like it’s the implementation by bad practitioners that seems to be the main problem.

Crossfit has always been “the annoying people making a shit-ton of noise bothering everyone else in the gym” to me. It’s part attention-seeking, part cult.