Computer advice thread ("What's the best way to do this?")

Never heard of it.

Thinking about giving a PC as a present to a kid for Xmas, anyone have recommendation of places to get one in the 500-700 price range that is decent?

Build one! You’ll get a better computer at that price.

Get an old one on eBay from some gamer that just tossed the 1080 for a 2080.

They probably didn’t toss the whole PC for that I would hope >_>;

At the sub $1k price point a lot of times prebuilt machines are cheaper but might have some weird limitations and a lot of them have HDs instead of SSDs still. I’d at least look at a few, especially if it’s unlikely to be upgraded in the future.

Alternatively a used business desktop + video card would probably the best price / performance ratio.

May be cheaper but gotta make sure the components are of some reputable provenance of quality, the IO is adequate for the use case (like make sure they have more than just 2-3 USB2.0 ports) and as you mentioned that there aren’t hidden bottlenecks (HDD, cheap RAM, etc) Also power supply and machine form-factor may be a concern. If it never gets upgraded then it’ll be built to handle a stock setup fine but if the GPU gets swapped down the road a PSU with insufficient PCI-E cables won’t do.

My dad for a while was using surplus business machines from a source of his. He’d get pretty nice Dell or IBM workstations but good luck adding much to these things. They tended to not have a case that could handle a ‘gaming’ setup as easily. Strange mobo with stuff locked out of the UEFI (at least from what I could tell) and minimal expansion slots for RAM. Strange cooling setups designed to work specifically with a proprietary form factor case, power supplies that were tailored specifically to what was installed, strange locations for drive bays, and just in general its not meant to be hot rodded. (This doesn’t mean we couldn’t have started going to town with a drill and dremel and make stuff fit, but for why?)

He’s now got, from this source, a brand new Dell XPS workstation which I’m sure has a bit more room and power overhead since it has a full size dual-height GPU inside, but still isn’t setup for, say, a high end CPU cooling fan or a radiator; Which is maybe a good thing as it has odd things like a i7 8700k, plugged into a mobo that doesn’t, as far as I can tell, offer any actual overclock options. (Which for the Scott camp is fine as they will say “never OC” but in such cases why go through with getting unlocked processors on a business machine?) In any case, the machine would be perfectly good for a gaming rig even with these limitations, but a lot of these business machines I’ve come across were not optimally setup to go throwing a GTX-1070 in there and a few extra sticks of Corsair Ballistix and calling it a day.

Fabric’s API wasn’t awesome, but at least it worked. They redesigned the whole thing for Fabric 2, and the documentation is really bad - no explanation of how to do simple things, like cd into another directory. On top of that, the port isn’t even complete - a bunch of old functionality just doesn’t exist in the new version yet.

In 2018, what should one use for automatically deploying a web app?

I never liked fabric. What can fabric do that a bash script can’t do?

If you want to automatically deploy things in 2018 you need a CI system. There are many options.

Nothing, technically.

Not sure if this is the right venue, but whatever.

Today I had a weird issue at work. A couple of our websites, separate instances of the same forum software, were failing with a 500 error. After some debugging I found the issue was a line in specifying a mime-type map in the web.config file. This was a duplicate from some other config on the website. The thing though is that my local development instance of that website has that line commented out. We also have not published those websites in at least 3 months, and what’s more is that I am the only person with publishing rights and I never copy-paste web.config files and only make edits as necessary. I can also not imagining ever enabling that line as it seems kind of worthless.

In any case, I was able to fix the issue by putting the line in question in comments, but my only viable conclusion is that the IIS somehow reverted that line, but comparisons between my local version of the web.config file and the one from the server also seems like its the only line that was changed.

Googling this is also kind of hard, because all I get is a sea of dumb people asking how to make a comment in a web.config file.

I don’t know much about IIS, but with web servers in general, things like this crop up when processes reload. Usually a web server will have X processes and Y threads per process, if threading is enabled. Then there will be a setting such that after any thread/process handles Z requests, it will be terminated and a new one will be spawned. This is to provide a sort of natural defense against code with memory leaks and other problems that could arise from processes that live too long.

The result of this is that if someone makes changes to a web server, but doesn’t restart/reload the processes, those changes will randomly show up sometime later when the processes naturally recycle themselves.

Check the last date/time those files were modified.

TVs are computers now. Single-stud wall mounts: are they actually sturdy? They seem like they wouldn’t be solid.

I ended up replacing my Samsung 40" SmartTV with a similar 43" SmartTV from Samsung. Despite being bigger and having better speakers that the old TV it was much lighter.

My wall mount is bolted into two studs. I bought it online, but I had a handyman I found on the Internet come and hang it. It’s sturdy as fuck. I have absolute confidence the TV will never fall.

Yeah, the double-studs certainly look good. I’m asking about single-stud mounts, like this one.

If it is properly mounted I see no reason it wouldn’t securely hold a TV that isn’t too heavy.\

I have this one:

Friendly reminder that, if you have a GTX 10-series or newer GPU and a monitor that supports freesync, you can now enable G-sync/freesync from the Nvidia control panel with the latest driver update. I tried it last night on my LG 27" 4k 60hz panel and was able to get it turned on and working! It’s not one of the 12 “100% good to go” models Nvidia listed. But I saw no immediate negative impact. I have to do some testing to see if its working or doing much overall. But a quick 10 minutes of BF4 with Freesync on and it seemed pretty nice.

It will probably require you to turn on Freesync on your monitor before the control panel will even give the option to enable it on the GPU side, so if you don’t see the option show up, try that.

If you already have the needed components, it’s free benefit worth trying. If you were thinking of getting a fancy expensive G-sync monitor, well, now there are a bunch of cheaper and high quality panels that will give the same sort of benefit.

Were you actually noticing any tearing at 60 hz?

I wasn’t noticing anything, but I was only paying for a few minutes and had not done any settings tweaks in game. I’m gonna play with it more tonight.